• PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Cue Beastie Boys...

I just tried to click the like button that isn't there. :laugh:
  • yogioats
    yogioats Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Just because you wish to make lifestyle changes, that doesn't mean he does as well. Can you have him put his treats in a specific location and you put your go to foods on a separate shelf?
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have just learned to eat like a naturally thin person. My family regularly brings me meals. If I've already eaten, I save it for later. If I haven't had anything to eat I just eat a reasonable portion and save the rest for later. A good example is when they bring pizza. Instead of eating the entire pizza, I just have a couple of slices.

Good luck! :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    you are mad because your husband brought home food?? confused….

if he brings home food, don't eat it...
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    It's all about perspective.

My husband will never stop bringing me home things like rich, delicious food, candy and wine. Because he knows I love these things and he loves me. He just wants me to have things that I love. I think it'd probably hurt the guys feelings if I told him not to, or threw it out.

The way I see it, there's no reason for him to stop doing those little things that he can do to show me he cares. I just nee to figure out how not to eat the whole damn box of chocolate or drink a bottle of wine just because he brought it home.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Don't you need food in your house? Are you more upset about the TYPE of food? What was a it?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    apparently, OP's house is "food free zone" when she is dieting...
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    first of all what kind of food was it and how much? you are a human and still have to eat. maybe he can stop by and pick up a choice you like next time. if it was take out, which I am assuming, then why not research the different restaurants he and you like and then pick better choices. Then make sure he knows that is your new favorite. That is what I have done and my husband is on board with that now too. We go out and get take away quite often on the weekends and I still stay on track. Mostly.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    It's all about perspective.

My husband will never stop bringing me home things like rich, delicious food, candy and wine. Because he knows I love these things and he loves me. He just wants me to have things that I love. I think it'd probably hurt the guys feelings if I told him not to, or threw it out.

The way I see it, there's no reason for him to stop doing those little things that he can do to show me he cares. I just nee to figure out how not to eat the whole damn box of chocolate or drink a bottle of wine just because he brought it home.

holy crap I would kill my husband for doing that. tell him you "love" flowers or something.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    that poor guy brought home dinner so you didn't have to cook, and all you can do is publicly bash him on an internet forum?

you can cook healthy meals at home and have enough willpower to not eat the "bad" food he brings. maybe he brings home food because you never cook?? is that the part of the story you're leaving out?

or how about you tell him to go to a place that you can also get some healthy take out food?

haaaa.. realist

or shes always eats half his meal when he doesnt get her anything..that how it goes around here
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I feel for both of you. You because you're trying to be healthy and do the right thing. Your husband because he still wants to connect to you but only knows how to do it through food. He's probably confused and feeling a little left out. Like you're doing something without him.

I don't know what the answer is for you. Eating less of the food he brings is a good compromise. Maybe ask him to take a walk with you afterwards. Find different ways to connect that doesn't have anything to do with food.
  • Iceman420
    Options
    I have the same problem with my co-workers. They are always bringing in cookies, donuts, brownies, etc. Sometimes I can resist the temptation, but many times I eat my share of that stuff. It makes me so angry after I do it. Why can't I control myself?

Anyway, good luck with your husband. I hope he will change for you.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Not to be cliche but the only person you can control/change is yourself.

Either don't eat it or eat a smaller portion.

Edited to say the same thing applies for those coworkers bringing food to the office!
  • heatblair
    heatblair Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hey doll!

Ugh. I hate when there's nothing to eat or everyone wants to go out to eat or bring home take-away meals. What I do is *if* I can, I try to plan the rest of my day around the meal so that I don't go over my calorie budget, or I eat only a portion (maybe half) of the food and save the rest as leftovers. I've also been known to exercise to make up for the extra calories, but that's a rare occurance! LOL. Sometimes I just try to make up for it the next day.

If you find that your husband is regularly wanting to eat out, or if seems like he truly is sabotaging your efforts, eat at home anyway. Make a healthy meal and ignore his pleas for fattening fast food. Maybe tell him not to bring you anything, or only bring you a dessert. Eat before he brings home the food, then drink 16+ ounces of water as soon as he comes in with the food. Your tummy will be full and even if you eat some of the food, you won't be able to eat as much as you may originally have eaten.

Your friend,
    Heat
  • Kara_Lisa
    Kara_Lisa Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you to those who provided an answer. It's apparent a lot of you haven't ever struggled with food addiction, not even once. Don't tell me that just because you're trying to lose your 15 pound side handles, that makes you strugglin.

To someone who struggles with food addiction, bringing food into a house is like bringing over some heroin when someone is going through rehab. I'm sure you'd tell them these same things, right?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    TIL heroin addiction is the same as food "addiction".
  • ndj1979
    Options
    so your house is a food free zone then I take it?

in ….to learn how food addiction and heroin addiction is the same….
  • afiallo
    afiallo Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Its all in the planning your day's meals and activities. There is no need to throw the food out--save it and plan.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. Difficult. But you can make it work for you. There's a way!

EIther:

1. Get to find out the days he tends to bring around these meals he wants to enjoy with you. Make it one or a few times a week where you can work out your meals for the day. Eat your light meals early in the day so you can enjoy his meal! Or if he does this several times a week, compromise with him and tell him to only do it a few times a week! (If he loves you, he'll understand. Plus you're compromising with him!)

2. Have another "celebrate with food" day with some healthier options?

3. Have a "let's push ourselves with exercise and physical activity together" and then go and enjoy this luscious meal!

It can be done. You don't have to give up your love life. PLUS, it doesn't have to be an extreme rabbit food eating change!!
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Your husband is not sabotaging you at all. You have just admitted that you have not changed your eating habits. Does your husband give you a hard time about that? If not, please try not to give him a hard time simply because he hasn't changed his habits, either. It will take time. Keep talking to him and working with him about your need for having only certain types or amounts of food in the home. Make an appointment with a nutrionist and BOTH of you go.
This discussion has been closed.