Sabotage!

Options

Replies

• jennmmack
    jennmmack Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone - plan for it, eat a smaller portion, then go for a walk together after.

It's a surprise - remove yourself from temptation! I was trapped at my parents' house during a snow storm in Atlanta recently and my mom made my FAVORITE trader joe's boo die brownies. I was trapped in a house with the deliciousness. So what did I do? I took a small portion and cherished it. When I craved more, I went to the basement and did Zumba instead. Find a replacement and don't think about it - just do. If you think about it, you'll cave and eat. That is me speaking from experience.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    My husband, love him so much, but he ALWAYS is sabotaging me. I have been doing so well, and last night, he brings home food. I sat and thought on it for about 30 seconds before I caved. I'm obviously NOT strong enough to toss it in the trash. I have had talks with him about it, but he still does it!

I think it's more out of habit than anything. We're both obese, we've both celebrated occasions with food, we've both rewarded with food, and both thought it was a "nice" thing to do with each other.

How do I get this to change?

Thanks!

Just don't eat it, or eat a small portion.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

To someone who struggles with food addiction, bringing food into a house is like bringing over some heroin when someone is going through rehab. I'm sure you'd tell them these same things, right? [/b]

HOLY FREAKING CRAP.

No.

Not the same.

Let me ask you something, are you going to prostitute yourself for some pizza? You gonna steal from your momma for some cookies? You gonna lose your job cause you got a positive drug test for bacon?

Can you ruin your life with food addition? Yes. Can you ruin your life with heroin? Yes. You can ruin your life in lots of ways, they are not all equal.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

To someone who struggles with food addiction, bringing food into a house is like bringing over some heroin when someone is going through rehab. I'm sure you'd tell them these same things, right?

So, you're going to belittle the very real addiction that people have to heroin, not to mention the massive amounts of damage that that addiction does to people and to those they love, by saying a "food addiction" is the same thing?

Really?

You think that?

Let's not talk about people being *kitten* now, okay?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    My son sabotages me when he asks me to buy him fruit snacks and pudding cups for his lunches. I will continue to blame him because I refuse to accept responsibility for my actions.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    Thank you to those who provided an answer with actual thought instead of being an *kitten*. It's apparent a lot of you haven't ever struggled with food addiction, not even once. Don't tell me that just because you're trying to lose your 15 pound side handles, that makes you strugglin.' ***** please!

To someone who struggles with food addiction, bringing food into a house is like bringing over some heroin when someone is going through rehab. I'm sure you'd tell them these same things, right?

To those who provided constructive criticism and actual thoughts and ideas (using your brains), it's greatly appreciated. <3

First of all, my goal of losing 10 pounds is no less important than yours.
    Second, there's no such thing as "food addiction", just severe lack of self control. You have the guts to dismiss 15 pounds goals as unimportant and laugh at the people who think that's "struggling", then you go on to trivialize REAL addiction and put your "struggles" at the same level.

To use your own words, more or less...lady, please!
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Cue Beastie Boys...

I just tried to click the like button that isn't there. :laugh:

Love me some Beasties!!!

AWWWW....

I can't stand it I know you planned it
    I'm gonna set it straight, this watergate
    I can't stand rocking when I'm in here
    Because your crystal ball ain't so crystal clear
    So while you sit back and wonder why
    I got this ****ing thorn in my side
    Oh my, it's a mirage
    I'm tellin' y'all it's sabotage...:laugh:

okay OP...I hear ya but here's the deal, and I'm speaking as someone who lost over 100 pounds and has kept it off for years: It's all on you baby. You don't want to eat what he brings home? Then don't. Just tell him thanks but no thanks. Yeah, it's tough but eventually folks get the hint. It's all about mental toughness, goal oriented behavior and being prepared with a back up plan. You can't live in a bubble and you can't blame others for your self control!

BTW...I've been struggling to lose 5 pounds recently and it's a biotch because my preferred exercise, distance running, actually has added some weight to me and I'm not overeating. So now I have to figure out what's going wrong in my diet. And...those darn kids of mine continue to live at home so I have to work around their preference for pizza and chips...sabotage!!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Thank you to those who provided an answer with actual thought instead of being an *kitten*. It's apparent a lot of you haven't ever struggled with food addiction, not even once. Don't tell me that just because you're trying to lose your 15 pound side handles, that makes you strugglin.' ***** please!

To those who provided constructive criticism and actual thoughts and ideas (using your brains), it's greatly appreciated. <3

Second, there's no such thing as "food addiction", just severe lack of self control. You have the guts to dismiss 15 pounds goals as unimportant and laugh at the people who think that's "struggling", then you go on to trivialize REAL addiction and put your "struggles" at the same level.

This just in, if you have 15 pounds or less to lose, YOUR LIFE IS PERFECT AND YOU'VE NEVER HAD A SINGLE STRUGGLE. Not even one.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

^^This, times 10000000

And In.

tJbi2.gif

maybe I'll finally find out where he pulls the lighter from.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Why would you throw it out? Ask him to let you know in advance so you can plan your day for the food he brought, or eat a smaller portion of it that you can fit in your day and save the rest for later.

^This is probably the best advice ever! My husband works evening shift, and is hardly ever home for dinner. His only day off is on Sunday, so I usually plan for us to go out to eat on that night, or if I make a meal that's high in calories, I know to save some calories for that night. :wink: Hey! Maybe you can tell him to work evening shift! Ha! Lol.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

This just in, if you have 15 pounds or less to lose, YOUR LIFE IS PERFECT AND YOU'VE NEVER HAD A SINGLE STRUGGLE. Not even one.

Yeah, really not cool to trivialize someone else's weight loss goals just because they are smaller than or different from yours.

The only way to make a long-term, sustainable change is by changing your habits, and more importantly, your mindset. It can be difficult, and it will take time, but ultimately, it has to come from you. You may want to have a talk with your husband about cooking or buying more calorie-friendly foods, but in the long run, especially if you have a food addiction, you'll want to put the time and effort into learning how to live in a world that isn't diet-friendly.
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    The day you take responsibility for your own actions is the day you grow up. Stop blaming others for what you choose to do.
    Your body. Your mind. Your choice.
  • Kara_Lisa
    Kara_Lisa Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Addiction is a disease, no matter what you are addicted too, and yes, there are TONS of people who manipulate and steal for food.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2349007/Food-really-addictive-Study-finds-brain-activity-similar-heroin-users-eating-certain-processed-foods.html
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Simply take it and divide it DO this BEFORE you take a bite. Put that away for tomorrow. Then eat if you go over calories for the day get busy and do another workout to help burn it off.

Maybe you can say to him that it's really nice when he brings home dinner BUT next time instead of fries could you get me a side salad.

I hope he is on this journey with you?
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options

^^This, times 10000000

And In.

tJbi2.gif

maybe I'll finally find out where he pulls the lighter from.

Cookie went gangsta here! Like Michael Corleone's gun, in the Godfather, it's hidden in the toilet!
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    After reading all these posts....OP, I have lost 120lb's overall. I can tell you, that weight mostly came off by eating a little less, and moving a little more. Now I have 10-20lb's left to lose, and it is the hardest thing I've tried to do, (as far as weight loss is concerned). I bust my *** trying to lose it. So don't trivialize somebody's 10-15lb's they're trying to lose....you really have no idea. As for the heroin addiction analogy, I'm not going to even touch that one. Prepare for this thread to get ugly starting.....now! :wink: :laugh:
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    A blog a wrote a while ago...

It applies.

After posting on a "Why can't people understand that I'm trying to loose (sic) weight. They ply me with fried tubers and frozen dairy goods. WAHHHHHHHHHHH! Everyone hates me and they want me to be FAT!"

We have become a society of blamers and "I don't wanna take responsibility"ers. It sucks.

Don't hate your family and friends and accuse them of trying to sabotage your weight loss every time they offer you something that has calories. Don't ***** and whine and start stupid threads about how they must hate you because they are offering you deliciousness that's been fried, dipped in chocolate, and served on a oil-drenched platter.

Maybe people in your life don't give two shi!tz about their health, and good for you for caring. Being *****y towards those people is *definitely not* going to win them over to the dark side (you know, the one with carrots and water.) Or, maybe some people have figured out how to balance their life...eat **** one day, and then eat healthy for the remaining 6 days of the week. You trying to enforce your Sparta-like eating habits will just make you miserable company and (most likely...at least in my circles) the butt of most jokes when you aren't around.

Make your own choices, make your own decisions, and quit blaming others.
    Whew, I feel better now!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I can't stand rockin' when I'm in here, cause your crystal ball ain't so crystal clear!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Addiction is a disease, no matter what you are addicted too, and yes, there are TONS of people who manipulate and steal for food.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2349007/Food-really-addictive-Study-finds-brain-activity-similar-heroin-users-eating-certain-processed-foods.html

Such a leap between the study and the article/headlines.

"Similar brain activity..."

"...may trigger the same brain mechanism tied to addiction."

If these were truly identical, then simply *limiting* "high-glycaemic foods" would not be effective...

...any more than *limiting* the amount of heroin used would be.

Keep reaching.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options

So if you are addicted to food, your recovery from your addiction should be no different than the recovery from other addictions. You take responsibility for your actions and your change your actions. That has worked for countless others with heroin addictions, crack, speed, booze, you name it addictions. Are you saying that can't work for your food addiction? If that won't work, why not?
This discussion has been closed.