Somebody help! I can't get to 1200 calories a day :(

Options
okay, I don't know what happened but last year I ate about 1000 calories a day for about 1.5 months (some days I ate more) and lost about 15 pounds and after that, I think my stomach just shrank or something but I cannot eat too much food without feeling nauseous, heck even after eating a sandwich I feel nauseated, like that feeling when you overeat and I also don't get hungry for a long time

so basically I eat breakfast and lunch (my breakfast is at 11 am 'cause that's when I wake up lol, and it's also my biggest meal) and that's it, I just can't fit anymore into my system and I don't know why, if I try to eat healthy foods I can only make it up to 700 calories and if I eat junk I can get up to 1100 or so

BY THE WAY I'm 4,10 (and a half! lol) and around 20 years old, and female.

btw I know people are going to be like "ooh you're way too low! eat more EAT MOREEEEE" but I can't :( Can you just tell me high calorie foods other than nuts and full fat milk?

Also,

a lot of "skinny" people I know who have been that way since they were kids don't eat much either, they just eat but they're not dying...and I don't think their metabolisms are bad either...so do they need to change their lifestyle patterns and start eating more too? My friend probably averages out 1000 a day and she's like 5,6 or taller and she plays basketball

Replies

• sway1080
    sway1080 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Maybe have a few tablespoons of peanut butter? that will definitely add about 100 cals per tablespoon.

Sorry just noticed you said no nuts..hmm what about bacon? salami? ground beef?
  • SnowZombie
    Options
    Have you been to a doctor about your nausea?
    Do you use a food scale?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Avocados, bananas, peanut butter, whole eggs, bacon, cheese, olive oil, coconut oil, butter, Nutella (stir it into plain Greek yogurt - YUM!).....and there's always ice cream. :bigsmile:
  • condoleezachiapet
    Options
    Hi! On most days, I have the same problem. I'm 5'2 with a small bone structure and minimal muscle tone. I feel like I'm constantly eating and yet when I log, I typically come in under 1200. Anything over makes me feel bloated.

If you're not feeling low-energy or cold on 1200 cals, you should be fine. You might be a little weak though, in terms of muscle (like I am). My goal is to bulk up just slightly so that my appetite becomes more standardized.

In terms of food, I find that grain carbs (such as brown rice/quinoa), sashimi, avocados, dried fruits & seeds help me rack up my calorie intake easily. I just started MFP a week ago, but you (and anyone else) can feel free to add me and read my diary!
  • poliver319
    Options
    I was looking for a healthy way to get a few more calories in and found this recipe.
    http://thehealthyfamilyandhome.com/raw-hemp-and-chia-seed-bars/

The calories vary by how big you cut the squares, I have had them up to 430 something and as low as 250 something. But needless to say they are high calorie, high protein, and generally all around good for you snack. The one draw back you may have is that hemp seeds tend to be an appetite suppressant, but if you can eat one or two a day you should be good.

The recipe is on my diary feel free to check it out.
  • condoleezachiapet
    Options
    I was looking for a healthy way to get a few more calories in and found this recipe.
    http://thehealthyfamilyandhome.com/raw-hemp-and-chia-seed-bars/

The calories vary by how big you cut the squares, I have had them up to 430 something and as low as 250 something. But needless to say they are high calorie, high protein, and generally all around good for you snack. The one draw back you may have is that hemp seeds tend to be an appetite suppressant, but if you can eat one or two a day you should be good.

The recipe is on my diary feel free to check it out.

:o That looks super delicious. Will definitely try.
  • minigirl99
    Options
    ahh I love you guys! So many helpful ideas :) Thank you!!

By the way, at the end of my post I asked about how some people I know eat like 1000 calories or less each day and they've been that way forever but they seem fine...but I don't get it, everyone says you have to be at least 1200 at the lowest or else your metabolism slows down....so what's happening with them?
  • condoleezachiapet
    Options

By the way, at the end of my post I asked about how some people I know eat like 1000 calories or less each day and they've been that way forever but they seem fine...but I don't get it, everyone says you have to be at least 1200 at the lowest or else your metabolism slows down....so what's happening with them?

I highly doubt that your friends are eating 1000cal a day, especially if they're 5'6 and athletic. When I was running track and dancing I was eating AT LEAST 1500 cal a day (and as I said, I'm 5'2). I can do less than 1200 because I'm only really active in short bursts now. You're definitely not getting their entire nutritional story because there's no way someone can keep up with an organized sport while not eating more than 1200.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and 44 yrs old, have no problem eating. I eat between 1600-1800 calories a day. See ticker below. :happy:
  • follysgirl
    follysgirl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Maybe try adding protein powder into some shakes for breakfast. That way you can get "good" foods in but also add in some extra cals and protein without the bulk in your system. If you've never heard of a green monster smoothie you should look it up. My fam thinks it's delish and you could add vanilla protein powder to ramp it up and it would still be wonderful.
  • condoleezachiapet
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and 44 yrs old, have no problem eating. I eat between 1600-1800 calories a day. See ticker below. :happy:

:flowerforyou: super well done! :)
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Go for calorie dense food - such as things high in sugar and fat. How about a slice of cheese cake? Get a load of calories in that, still get various dairy based micronutrients too.
    Much as people might go on about "empty calories", not having the food at all is even more "empty". Further, if you're getting enough micro-nutrients already, having more won't make you super-healthy, much as some claim.
    Or consider drinking milk instead of any drinks that might be low-calorie - if you have coffee, why not have a latte rather than black, say.
  • SEAFOODMAN
    Options
    always the 18-22 range that can't get to 1200:frown:
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    So are you overweight? How did you get overweight if you can't eat 1200 cal? I would see a doctor because any normal healthy person should have no problem eating that much. Kids eat over 1000 cals
  • minigirl99
    Options

I highly doubt that your friends are eating 1000cal a day, especially if they're 5'6 and athletic. When I was running track and dancing I was eating AT LEAST 1500 cal a day (and as I said, I'm 5'2). I can do less than 1200 because I'm only really active in short bursts now. You're definitely not getting their entire nutritional story because there's no way someone can keep up with an organized sport while not eating more than 1200.

maybe...my aunt is like that too, she doesn't eat much, some days she won't have anything and then at the end of the day she'll have one kebab (the middle eastern kind, and they're like the size of her hand probably) but she's hardly active, other than walking around the house at times maybe. plus she's short, and the traditional foods she eats tend to be high calories (tons of oil, and meat).... maybe I should start counting her calories ;D
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Not sure eating crap is the answer
  • minigirl99
    Options
    So are you overweight? How did you get overweight if you can't eat 1200 cal? I would see a doctor because any normal healthy person should have no problem eating that much. Kids eat over 1000 cals

The doctor says I'm at a good weight, (but I still want to lose a little bit more)

the weird thing is that I used to be getting much more than 1200 calories a day because I would eat high calorie ethnic foods and sugar cookies or cupcakes every other day but now that I'm making my own food, I have no idea how to cook and I've started eating healthier I guess (I cut out the sweets too) and now I can't seem to go over 1200 :(
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Not sure eating crap is the answer

lol define crap.....
  • condoleezachiapet
    Options
    always the 18-22 range that can't get to 1200:frown:
    unfortunately. as someone who's grown up in the digital age, i have seen so many of my peers lured into the cult of body-standardization by the media, myself included. with food scare broadcasts just a remote click and google search away, it makes fear dieting seem the natural choice. it's really conflicting to see images of junk food placed alongside stick thin models. our media fed generation has bred an army of young people who have horrible relationships with food. :\
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    How old are you?