Deadlift and Overhead Press - Some Lessons Learned

Options

Replies

• darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    so I shouldn't pin my shoulders back at all? Just look forward like the girl in the picture and that will keep my back from rounding?
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    so I shouldn't pin my shoulders back at all? Just look forward like the girl in the picture and that will keep my back from rounding?

Shoulders blades back yes, but still have your shoulders over the bar is what we are saying, helps the back from not rounding and keeps it tight
  • darreneatschicken
    Options
    okay thanks guys, I think I'm going to go find the same trainer, tell him to watch me again, and this time, to make sure that my shoulders are pinned back, but, at the same time, that they are over the bar as well
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    No one is going to listen if they believe they're already doing it correctly... I think this post had good intentions, but fell into the pit of offering advice when no one wanted it.
  • steve0820
    Options
    No one is going to listen if they believe they're already doing it correctly... I think this post had good intentions, but fell into the pit of offering advice when no one wanted it.

The OP posted what he was given, and asked for feeback, isn't that advice?
  • darreneatschicken
    Options

The OP posted what he was given, and asked for feeback, isn't that advice?

yeah, I want feedback, and I'm willing to listen to people
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    I think "shoulders back" is more of a cue than an actual anatomical layout during the lift. There is definitely shoulder recruitment, but, nobody pulling anything remotely heavy [to them] is going to actually have their shoulders "back" and pinched.
  • creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Shoulder blades are back. You should have thoracic extension. (Upper back curve. Which helps maintain your natural lower back curve). Once the lifter does is exaggerated motion, you have them push their shoulders out... It engages your back muscles, protects your lower back and creates a shorter bar path. Your shoulders should be over the bar and forward in the shoulder socket. The picture on the first page is correct, but looks like her hips are slightly low, she has incorrect shoes, and her head should be looking more down, to keep her spine in a neutral position.

I usually tell people to think "big chest". Lifters with good posture won't have a problem...the problem is not many Americans have good posture.
  • darreneatschicken
    Options
    Shoulder blades are back. You should have thoracic extension. (Upper back curve. Which helps maintain your natural lower back curve). Once the lifter does is exaggerated motion, you have them push their shoulders out... It engages your back muscles, protects your lower back and creates a shorter bar path. Your shoulders should be over the bar and forward in the shoulder socket. The picture on the first page is correct, but looks like her hips are slightly low, she has incorrect shoes, and her head should be looking more down, to keep her spine in a neutral position.

I usually tell people to think "big chest". Lifters with good posture won't have a problem...the problem is not many Americans have good posture.

See... now someone is telling me to have my shoulder blades back... I dunno who to listen to anymore!
  • steve0820
    Options

This^^^^
    I agree with the shoes, not flat enough.
  • darreneatschicken
    Options
    omg i'm going crazy.

I'm going to print this entire post out and bring it to the trainer to read

I can spend hours reading this stuff, but without having a trainer watching me in real life, there really is no point, because I don't really understand what you guys mean to be honest.

I'm just going to bring this post to the gym, because the trainer would probably know what you guys mean, and thus, would be able to apply it to my form in real life
  • steve0820
    Options
    omg i'm going crazy.

I can spend hours reading this stuff, but without having a trainer watching me in real life, there really is no point, because I don't really understand what you guys mean to be honest.

I'm just going to bring this post to the gym, because the trainer would probably know what you guys mean, and thus, would be able to apply it to my form in real life

Probably a good idead bud! Sorry if we made this post confusing. Deadlift is a very technical lift, people have different views, it happens. Try to not let it get you down. I've had to re-construct my deadlift form many times, because I wasn't happy with it.
  • darreneatschicken
    Options
    omg i'm going crazy.

Meh. Just do what he says. Don't worry about us.

I respect your guy's opinions, thats why I made this post. But I don't feel that I am experienced enough to be able to understand you guys fully and be able to know how to apply this to myself when I am at the gym. It's not you guys, its me.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    One way to find the correct starting position for deadlift is by loading up a very heavy bar (like 1.5 times body weight or more) and then getting into position and putting some upward force on it as if you're going to lift, but not so much as to actually lift the bar off the ground. Once you are applying a decent amount of lift, your body will align itself with the bar in the way that best matches your proportions. (The lengths of your upper and lower legs, torso, and arms all affect the ideal setup for you.)

So for example, if your shoulders are too far forward or backward, when you start to pull, the bar is heavy enough that your body will actually move until your center of mass is directly above the bar.

Also you can find where to put the bar in relation to the 'center' of your feet by holding it at the top position as if you're finished with the lift. At that point it is directly above the proper spot.