My wife is driving me insane

Options
123457»

Replies

• jemmypops86
    jemmypops86 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Your wife sounds a bit like me before everything clicked. I would happily live on a 100% carb diet, and protein really does nothing for me. I quite like fish and I can deal with meat, but give me some bread or potato chips any day. Just wondering: how does she feel about fruit and vegetables? I've found that adding more fresh produce to my diet has helped me to stick to my calorie deficit without getting cranky or hungry, and for me it's a lot more enjoyable than chowing down on steak and eggs all the time.

Oh, and I hated, seriously hated running. I lost count of the amount of times I tried Couch to 5k and then aborted the first podcast half way through. At New Year I downloaded the game "Zombies, Run!" it's pretty cheesy but you get a story that lasts half an hour per run. I find it quite gripping, so it motivates me to keep going so I can find out what happens next. Maybe something like that would help her?

My last suggestion is letting her have a cheat meal once a week. I know it's probably not best practice, but that's another thing that's worked for me so far. If I find myself craving a pizza on Wednesday I know I can just wait til Friday and have one: it stops me from falling off the wagon and giving up, something to look forward to at the end of the week. My boyfriend and I turn it into a date night and we always choose a really nice restaurant to go to, or buy a great bottle of wine.

Best of luck to you and to her.
  • Babsie777
    Options
    I think its depression. I've suffered from it due to my weight, and will go back and forth about trying to lose weight. Depression can hold you back from doing what you need to do to make your self healthy. You should talk to her about it. Find out if she's depressed and get help for her if it is destructive.
  • cmendoza13
    Options
    Is she already on MFP? If not, maybe get her to set up an account, input her goal info. and then since it will tell her how many calories, protein, carbs, etc. she needs in order to reach her goal, maybe that will open her eyes a little??
  • ElliHurdle
    Options
    I went on for a year after my son was born saying "tomorrow" and "Next week"..."Oops! Guess I blew it for the whole week...next week for sure!" I am in the Air Force and failed 2 PT tests...BIG deal, especially with force management being implmented! What kicked me in the butt was them telling me that if I stay in until November and get out on my own terms, I get money! Seriously? Money for getting my butt in shape and staying in the Air Force? Okay...a regular paycheck and a check to get me to leave! Yep! January 11th I decided to kick my butt in gear! Yes, I eat carbs and the wrong kind, but I try to balance it out with exercise. I do 2 walks a day, a short one at lunch and a longer walk (walking in place for 1 hour) after my son goes to bed at night. I've lost 13 pounds since!

Unfortunately, my husband is kind of in the same predicament as your wife. He has been having heart palpatations and of course nothing is wrong. But I know what's wrong...he's stressed...and because he's over weight (MAYBE 40 lbs). His heart doc told him he has "a low tolerance for exercise", which is a nice way of saying "You're out of shape". But...He tells me every day how he needs a change and he needs to diet and exercise...so every night I invite him to walk with me and he tells me "tomorrow". I guess he's going to have to find his motivation and his "tomorrow".
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    After a certain amount of whining and moaning but no action from my husband, I say "When you're ready to say or do something different, tell me."

Then when he starts up again I say "We've had this discussion." Full stop. If he keeps going, I say "I don't want to listen to this any more. When you're ready to say or do something different, come get me" and I go to another room.

It's harsh, but it seriously is the only thing that keeps his life (and therefore mine) from being Groundhog Day. And if your wife is driving you crazy, it might be time just to remove yourself from the situation. She knows what she needs to do, and she isn't doing it, and having you as an outlet is allowing her to vent without changing anything. Take away that outlet for her health ... and your sanity!