Netflix, et al are ruining the way we watch TV

Options
1235»

Replies

• Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Get a Roku player, and you can buy channels of just the sports you want for way cheaper than cable. Ever since I got mine, I have only watched "regular" TV at my parents' house or while in the hospital.

We actually have the potential to spend less time on our butts in front of the TV because of things like Netflix, because it cuts the fat. Want to watch an episode of a show that is usually blocked for an hour? You can watch all 40 minutes of the episode without interruption and move on with your evening 20 minutes richer.

It's just so much more cost efficient, and with things like Roku, you don't have to pay extra to use the HD capabilities of your TV. You get instant access to music, movies, shows... Don't have to fork up $50 to see entire seasons...

Besides, Netflix typically gets the shows AFTER the normal run time, not before. Certain shows get cross because of their "home" location but most of the time, you have to wait longer to watch it on digital sources unless you invest more.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    There is a myspace group for people who want to be a decade behind.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    As soon as regular TV stop shoveling reality shows and rehashing lawyer/police/fireman dramas at me, I'll stop watching Netflix.

QFT.

I am pissed that USA is jumping on the bandwagon of reality crap... about people we don't know and don't care about.
    I never watch those shows. I'm doing my part!

Which ones? the ones on USA? Or just reality shows in general? I can't stand reality tv. It's asinine.

Hey! My Cat From Hell is awesome :P haha
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    As soon as regular TV stop shoveling reality shows and rehashing lawyer/police/fireman dramas at me, I'll stop watching Netflix.
    This.

TV is ruining TV. The shyte that passes for programming nowadays is pathetic at best. Which is why I have't paid for cable in 10 years. Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, HBOGO, all let me watch what I want without the "joy" of Honey Boo Boo or other such garbage. Plus I don't want my children to grow up as brainless boobs. Multiple seasons of Jersey Shore? For real? :noway:
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Heh... I got rid of TV. Cost way too much for stuff you can get for free on line.
  • pinksmama
    Options
    I love the way in which we are moving technologically in this regard.. I also love NOT paying a $100.00 a month cable bill.
  • pinksmama
    Options
    Get a Roku player, and you can buy channels of just the sports you want for way cheaper than cable. Ever since I got mine, I have only watched "regular" TV at my parents' house or while in the hospital.

We actually have the potential to spend less time on our butts in front of the TV because of things like Netflix, because it cuts the fat. Want to watch an episode of a show that is usually blocked for an hour? You can watch all 40 minutes of the episode without interruption and move on with your evening 20 minutes richer.

It's just so much more cost efficient, and with things like Roku, you don't have to pay extra to use the HD capabilities of your TV. You get instant access to music, movies, shows... Don't have to fork up $50 to see entire seasons...

Love our Roku!

Besides, Netflix typically gets the shows AFTER the normal run time, not before. Certain shows get cross because of their "home" location but most of the time, you have to wait longer to watch it on digital sources unless you invest more.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Dish = 50$ a month
    Netflix = 10$ a month

nuff-said

Hnmmm

Comcast (TV only) $30 a month
    Netflix $25 a month

I guess it's all in what you choose. I do both. :smokin:
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    We record everything on our DVR...there are shows we watch as a family...shows just hubby and I watch, he watches with our kid..and other shows my kid and I watch..

we still get our quality time in...its all about making it happen rather than moaning about it...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

QFT.

I am pissed that USA is jumping on the bandwagon of reality crap... about people we don't know and don't care about.

Which ones? the ones on USA? Or just reality shows in general? I can't stand reality tv. It's asinine.
    In general, mostly. I will watch Say Yes to the Dress if there's nothing else on, I don't feel like searching for something and I'm not in the mood to read or something. But that's it.

Oh, I will watch the more educational stuff, too, that I guess is considered "reality." But no housewives of anything ever or Real World or anything like that.

They do serve a purpose, though, in giving The Soup some great fodder.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Dish = 50$ a month
    Netflix = 10$ a month

nuff-said

Hnmmm

Netflix $25 a month

You choose to pay $25. I get one DVD at a time and streaming and I pay $17. I could do away with the DVD and just have streaming.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

QFT.

In general, mostly. I will watch Say Yes to the Dress if there's nothing else on, I don't feel like searching for something and I'm not in the mood to read or something. But that's it.

The only ones I will watch are the ones on DIY network or Hoarders (from A&E... not the crappy version that TLC decided to come up with).. My DH will watch the ones on Discovery or the Science channel... but I don't care for those either.... and Hoarders is only when I need motivation to clean.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Dish = 50$ a month
    Netflix = 10$ a month

nuff-said

Hnmmm

Netflix $25 a month

You choose to pay $25. I get one DVD at a time and streaming and I pay $17. I could do away with the DVD and just have streaming.

I do streaming only. Haven't used TV or DVD for almost 4 years.

I did do red box for a few weeks when I had no interwebz. totally fine to have just internet/streaming. works great.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Dish = 50$ a month
    Netflix = 10$ a month

nuff-said

Hnmmm

Netflix $25 a month

I do streaming only. Haven't used TV or DVD for almost 4 years.

I did do red box for a few weeks when I had no interwebz. totally fine to have just internet/streaming. works great.
    I don't pay a ton for cable and there are still things we like to watch in real time, so I'm not ready to get rid of it. I am just now, though, thinking I should do away with the Netflix DVD option, though. I've had the same one at home for months and I have Amazon Prime, so between that and Redbox, for the number of DVDs I get and that extra $7 a month, it isn't really worth it anymore. I can probably rent anything I would get from Netflix through Prime for less money (maybe once a month at most).
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Dish = 50$ a month
    Netflix = 10$ a month

nuff-said

Hnmmm

Netflix $25 a month

Right. I know people who pay $100 or more for cable TV. I can do without all that and just do the "triple play." If I do away with either, it would be the streaming. We watch our shows on cable and do Netflix DVDs for movies. My husband and I don't even have a way to view the streaming. The kids watch it occasionally on the Wii upstairs.

We have been considering making changes, but it's convenient having phone, internet, and TV in one bill. And Netflix just gets paid without even having to think about it because $25 is nothing to worry about. It just comes out of our savings account through PayPal. (I wish I could pay more bills through PayPal. I hate my bank's online bill pay.)
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

:laugh:

I still haven't bought a BluRay player. Out DVD player *does* play DVDs that we burned ourselves as well as Windows media. And our game console is PS2. We were going to get a PS3 for Christmas, but bought a new couch and HD TV instead. (It's our first TV we've owned that was manufactured in the 21st century.) :bigsmile:
  • rml_16
    Options

:laugh:

I still haven't bought a BluRay player. Out DVD player *does* play DVDs that we burned ourselves as well as Windows media. And our game console is PS2. We were going to get a PS3 for Christmas, but bought a new couch and HD TV instead. (It's our first TV we've owned that was manufactured in the 21st century.) :bigsmile:

I don't have a Blu_Ray, either. next time one of our DVD players dies, I'll get one, though. They've finally come down to a reasonable price in the name brands. Electronics is the one area I MUST have the name brand. I've had too many issues with generics.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Watching Netflix right now.
    What, Max? :tongue: :flowerforyou: