Calorie Counting Dr Oz Show

Options

Replies

• 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I will count calories for the foreseeable future.
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I think it doesn't really matter what type of diet we're on - whether vegan, vegetarian, paleo, etc. - what matters is the AMOUNT of food we take in. Thus calorie counting DOES MATTER. Sorry but this is the way it is if you want to stay slim, fit and healthy for life.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    A) the Paleo guy was probably selling a book. B) statistics are incredibly easy to manipulate so they sound like you want them to.

Calorie counting doesn't fail. People fail to continue that lifestyle.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    OK Great. Yesterday on the Dr. OZ show the Paleo diet rep said that most people who count calories as a weight loss technique end up gaining back all and more of their weight. The statistics he quoted were high. What do you all think? I found it discouraging since that is what is working for me right now. Grrr.

People watching Dr. Oz is discouraging.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    That's ridiculous! The biggest weight loss study done, I think it's called the Weight Loss Registry or something & is maintained by a govt. agency, only allow people to be part of the study results if they have lost more than 30 lbs and kept it off for 1-2 year. And the study asks the people what they did to lose the weight. Counting calories was always in the top 5.

Even Dr. Oz's own WIFE has told him that she doesn't approve of some of the shows he does now.
  • ReturnToRunning
    Options
    What he failed to mention is that those are the people who stop once they reach their goal. They get there and think they completed and can eat whatever. Just keep at it and you'll always be good :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Most diets fail. It doesn't matter if you count calories, or stop eating certain foods. If you return to eating more than maintenance you gain weight.

I lost weight NOT counting and have kept it off for around 12 years. Others here have lost weight counting and kept it off. We all kept it off by remaining mindful and not thinking of it as a short term solution.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    OK Great. Yesterday on the Dr. OZ show ...

69fjox.gif
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    OK Great. Yesterday on the Dr. OZ show the Paleo diet rep said that most people who count calories as a weight loss technique end up gaining back all and more of their weight. The statistics he quoted were high. What do you all think? I found it discouraging since that is what is working for me right now. Grrr.
    Any diet that lowers your food intake so that you can get to a healthy weight will also keep you at that healthy weight as long as you keep doing so.

The difference between counting calories and all the others is that one is sustainable for the rest of your life. The others are not something I would want to do for the rest of my life.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Well I believe that anything you use as 'dieting', as in has an expiration, will fail. If you don't look at what you are doing as a life long choice then it will fail. You have to commit to something that is sustainable, for the rest of your life. Does that mean you have to obsess over every little piece of food that you eat, no. It means find what works for you, work on having a healthy relationship with food and your body and go with that. Know that as you age your body changes and it's needs will change and be open to making the changes you need to make.

Sustainability is the key to lifelong success.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Well I believe that anything you use as 'dieting', as in has an expiration, will fail. If you don't look at what you are doing as a life long choice then it will fail. You have to commit to something that is sustainable, for the rest of your life. Does that mean you have to obsess over every little piece of food that you eat, no. It means find what works for you, work on having a healthy relationship with food and your body and go with that. Know that as you age your body changes and it's needs will change and be open to making the changes you need to make.

Sustainability is the key to lifelong success.
    Exactly. FIND WHAT WORKS FOR YOU.
  • cardsfanlv
    cardsfanlv Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    If you go back to your old habits that made you fat in the first place, of course.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to anything on that stupid show.

tumblr_mjhnunujej1qeeuo4o2_500.gif
  • jenna808
    jenna808 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I personally feel like Dr. Oz is as credible a doctor as Dr. Pepper. Anything I've ever read that he says or on his show is false information or trying to sell you into something, in this case the paleo diet. While we all know somebody who has counted calories, lost weight and then gained it back (heck, it's happened to me before!) it is usually because the maintenance slips, or that it was not sustainable in the long run in the first place. But that's also the case for all fad diets too. Things that mfp has taught me are correct portion sizes, the importance of a balanced diet, and all things I want in moderation. I can now go for periods of a time without logging because I'm able to listen to my body and know what it needs for energy and feel confident that I can do this as a permanent thing in my life.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to anything on that stupid show.

tumblr_mjhnunujej1qeeuo4o2_500.gif

That is sooooo cute

Ok I am on my 3rd year here, what can I say, I like it here. Most of the time, I have nothing in my diary because I have been counting for so long that I do not need to anymore. So I would say that calories counting work as long as you learn new habits.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Someone who believes in a product or specific type of diet that does not involve counting calories will not likely think highly of counting calories especially when it may benefit him or her to hold that belief.

Likewise, in an environment where people are all counting calories (MFP), it's not likely that methods outside of counting calories will be thought of highly.

Regarding Dr. Oz, I took this photo last week at a local grocery store. This should give you some insight into the level of quackery Oz promotes:

wswvuc.jpg
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Well. Dr. Oz is an idiot. Calorie counting is an extremely effective tool for controlling body weight (up or down).

But I've seen several people doing "calorie counting diets" where they eat a ridiculously low calorie amount for a few weeks. That doesn't work out too well.
  • SparkyRegis
    Options
    Today's my first day with My Fitness Pal. I want to encourage you by pointing out my husband's success on a calorie-counting diet. My husband has lost about 20 pounds, taking it slowly, only about a pound a month, on purpose. He says "It's all math," he does not feel cheated or unfulfilled, and he says it's a no-brainer as long as he enters his numbers every day. If he wants to go over his daily limit, he doesn't deprive himself; he makes up for it. I'm really surprised Dr. Oz would not consider it a good, permanent weight loss method. All my life I've heard that watching your calories and getting exercise is the only tried and true weight loss method.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Dr Oz=Quack!
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    Someone who believes in a product or specific type of diet that does not involve counting calories will not likely think highly of counting calories especially when it may benefit him or her to hold that belief.

Likewise, in an environment where people are all counting calories (MFP), it's not likely that methods outside of counting calories will be thought of highly.

Regarding Dr. Oz, I took this photo last week at a local grocery store. This should give you some insight into the level of quackery Oz promotes:

wswvuc.jpg

Where can I find the magic syrup? Is it by the acai berries and raspberry Keytones?