Girls--do you wash your hair everyday after workouts?

Options

Replies

• rubixcyoob
    Options
    I used to wash my hair everyday, but it completely ruined my hair - it made it impossible to not wash my hair everyday and it meant I was needing to style and dry my hair everyday.

I got extensions and got into an every other day cycle.

I'm not extension-less so when I workout I always tie my hair back and then use kirby grips to get my fringe/loose hairs at the back out my face and away from sweat meaning I can wash, use dry shampoo, wash, use dry shampoo haha.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    And there was me thinking I was gross for not washing after every workout and just tying it up and covering with lots of hair spay. Thanks ladies! lol
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,618 Member
    Options
    every day... I have to... i'm what I call a dripper... I SWEAT... a lot of times I look like I took a shower after a workout...
  • toolzz
    toolzz Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I wet my hair after a work out but only use shampoo at the hairline. I do a full shampoo every three days. I use light conditioner every time I wet it.
  • losingwhatican
    losingwhatican Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I wash it (almost) every time I work out. If I know I'll have a day I'm not going to work out, though, I'll wash my hair the day before with a baking soda/water paste, then condition with cinnamon-infused apple cider vinegar. It sounds weird, but it gets your hair super soft and washes away some of the gunk that builds up from shampoos and conditioners. The smell goes away once it dries - the only downside is that if you work up a sweat, you smell like salad. That's why you do it before your rest day!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I wash every other day, and on the day I don't wash I rinse and condition. I have thick, straight hair that I style daily.
  • RoseGoldDinosaur
    RoseGoldDinosaur Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair every other day and not after I work out. I usually wash my hair at night and work out in the mornings.

If my hair is freshly washed, I wear a cotton headband to help keep sweat out of my hairline. Then I wash my body when I get home and just blow-dry out my hair. It usually looks fine this way.

Second day hair after a workout tends to look a little greasy so I'll usually wear "the bump" and spray it back, dutch braid my bangs back into my hair (braids stay better with dirty hair), or wear my favorite red knit hat.

Hope that helps! I haven't tried it myself, but you might consider trying dry shampoo for second day hair. I hear its great.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    you can always condition only. wont strip your hair and it will smell better.
  • discobarbie1971
    discobarbie1971 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Dry shampoo is the best invention!
  • TheresaTester
    TheresaTester Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I shampoo and condition my hair every day after working out. I am dripping like a racehorse after an hour on the elliptical; mainly from my head, so my hair is gross when I finish. I have short hair, so it dries quickly after showering.
  • jenbob555
    jenbob555 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I try to wash my hair with shampoo 3 days max but with working out 6 days a week, if I have a workout where I'm dripping sweat even dry shampoo can't save my hair. I work a professional job so having greasy hair or wearing a hat are not options. I found that Herbal Essence has a cleansing conditioner - it's something like 25% shampoo and 75% conditioner and no sulfates. I use this on days that I don't shampoo. If I just lift or don't sweat a lot, then I just wash the hair by my hairline that got sweaty.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I typically wash my hair every other day. I will break that rule if my scalp feels very sweaty after a workout.
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I have to wash my hair after each work out as I get really sweaty in my hairline. Because of this I'll work out maximum every other day.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    My hair is too long to wash every day. I don't have time to dry it. So it gets washed Monday and Friday. If I feel gross in the middle of the week then I spritz it with body splash and braid it.
  • BulahLerry
    Options
    I just get a cheap short hair wigs for women and it cost me less than US$50 and have used it for serveral times and always help me own good looking. I get long wigs . Hope that can help you!
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I wash every day, but I use a very very conditioning shampoo that actually doesn't even lather. It's basically a cleansing conditioner.
  • CelebrityStatus
    CelebrityStatus Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have really thick, long, wavy hair- I only wash my hair once a week. I condition every other shower, which is every day. The "not" days, I actually put a plastic bag (works better for me than a shower cap) over my hair so that I don't get it wet. Washing my hair every day ruins it because my hair almost NEVER gets oily... it's like the sheer volume of my hair just sucks oil into it lol.
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Invest in a sock bun former and don't worry about it so much :) I have very thick naturally curly hair and wash my hair every third day or so with a sulfate-free hydrating shampoo. Between days (when I take a bath rather than shower & don't get my hair wet) I either wear it in a pony tail or a sock bun and just style my bangs, it works pretty well and I usually get more compliments on my hair when I have it in a bun anyway lol
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I wash it in the morning with shampoo and conditioner every day. After a workout I just wash it with warm water and usually add some moroccan oil or something to it so it smells nice and feels clean.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I currently wash my hair nearly every day (because I get sweaty every day between running and Tae Kwon Do). But I'm not sure that this practice is very good for hair over time. My hair is fine but there is a lot of it. I've tried backing off and not washing it on the days that I was completely drenched in sweat. That doesn't work, ie, my hair looks/feels greasy. Then I tried Pantene Co-Wash (cleansing conditioner). Too heavy for my hair. It looks even WORSE after using this product. Maybe I should try dry shampoo and see if that works? I've also heard of baking soda/vinegar washes. I haven't tried that yet either. I am also looking for sulfa free products to top it off. Anyone with experience with thick, fine hair that can provide some guidance in my sulfa-free, more back-to-nature approach to washing hair would be appreciated. (I specify "thick, fine" only because I think that if my hair was not fine, the co-wash would probably work better.)