Girls--do you wash your hair everyday after workouts?

Options

Replies

• ninja8tofu
    ninja8tofu Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Same here. My hair is usually wet and full of sweat after my workout. Like I can wring it out. I shudder to think what it would smell like if I didn't wash it.
  • cfredz
    cfredz Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I wash, blowdry and flat iron my hair everyday and its been fine.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    My hair only gets shampooed when I go to the hairdresser. (every three months or so)

I shower after every workout (well, sometimes on the weekends I don't). I only use conditioner though. The cheep stuff without silicones (suave, VO5, Trader Joe's brands). I also use a bit as a leave in conditioner.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    I have very long hair that I color, so I am very careful with it. I don't use shampoo every day so I don't dry it out, but on days I don't shampoo, I still rinse it and use a conditioner.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I wash every other day. On non-wash days I use a dry shampoo.

I don't sweat a ton when I workout, though. In the summer, I still try to only wash every other day. You can try alternative wash methods, like water-only or conditioner-only (use a cheap, thin conditioner like Suave or a special "washing" conditioner like "Wen") if you need to wet your hair every day.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I wash, blowdry and flat iron my hair everyday and its been fine.

My hair would literally break at the roots if I did this. Baby fine hair cannot take that kind of abuse.
  • mulchingoverwinter
    Options
    When I work out I sweat alot so I tend to wash my hair daily with shampoo and conditioner. I did make sure that I was only washing it once though, so would either exercise at night and wash my hair in the morning or go to the gym in the morning and shower after. If I dont work out then I do a day on day off rota.
  • bciloveme2014
    bciloveme2014 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I was washing my hair every day. but I noticed that my hair was getting weak. Now I only wash my hair every other day, but I added a raw egg to 3/4 of shampoo. and it leaves my hair stronger and silkier. When I am working out I do my hair like a pony tail and I constantly drying my sweat with a little towel. When I get home I take a shower on my body only and the next morning I just have to be creative on how I style my hair.
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I wash it twice a week; my locs take forever to dry if I washed it after every workout (sometimes two a day) it would always be wet.
  • Amestris
    Amestris Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair once a week. My hair is pretty dry. I tend to have to add moisturizer to it a couple of times a week to keep it from getting brittle. I'm pretty sure my hair would get damaged if I tried to wash it everyday.
  • sweet29one
    Options
    Yes! I do it because i get all sweaty from working out so i need the shower and to get the sweat out of my hair.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I have very naturally oily hair. If I don't wash it every day, it looks pretty nasty. I wash every day and ESPECIALLY after workouts. After I'm done working out and take out my pony tail holder my hair barely moves because the sweat has practically glued it to my head. It's pretty obvious when I don't wash my hair

Not sure I could have put this in better words. THIS is my hair exactly!
  • Rachelc1992
    Rachelc1992 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I have very naturally oily hair. If I don't wash it every day, it looks pretty nasty. I wash every day and ESPECIALLY after workouts. After I'm done working out and take out my pony tail holder my hair barely moves because the sweat has practically glued it to my head. It's pretty obvious when I don't wash my hair

Snap! Everyday even if I don't work out. If I leave it for like a whole day when I wake up in morning it's stuck to my head!
  • stephgetsfit2
    stephgetsfit2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair every other day when i don't work out.

I do however wash it every day i work out! so if i workout everyday, than i wash it. It's a preference for me. I feel gross if i don't.

In your case you are trying to find a way to NOT wash it everyday.
    My tip would be to wear it up the next day. Whether it be in a ponytail or bun. that way it's our of your face and looks more sleek.
  • IndyFace22
    Options
    I do that too! I only use conditioner once a month in the winter (IF I need it) otherwise, shampoo only. my hair is shinier, stronger, and softer. my stylist is always asking what I do and I tell her every time. I think she's waiting for some big secret lmao
  • militarycoat
    Options
    I wash my hair either everyday or every other day - and normally use very cool water. The cold water helps to close the pores on your scalp and help to reduce oil buildup resulting in less greasy hair. I swim rather than workout so I can't help you there but I noticed a huge difference in the greasiness and general quality of my hair once I stopped using hot water to wash. I hope that helps!
  • reimaka17
    reimaka17 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Nope. But then I have very tightly coiled/curly hair and shampoo (especially ones with sulfates and alcohol) dries my hair out. I wash once a week with a gentle conditioning shampoo and once a month with a clarifying one, but I co-wash ('wash" with conditioner) every 2-3 days. My hair is naturally dry and can't take excessive washing.
  • reimaka17
    reimaka17 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair once a week. My hair is pretty dry. I tend to have to add moisturizer to it a couple of times a week to keep it from getting brittle. I'm pretty sure my hair would get damaged if I tried to wash it everyday.

Exactly this. My hair would definitely become brittle if I washed it more than twice a week even with a super gentle conditioning shampoo. I have to moisturize it at least every other day or else it becomes way too dry.

I guess it all comes down to your hair type.
  • EmmaJean7
    EmmaJean7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    No. probably about every 3 days... invest in a good dry shampoo (I use Paul Mitchell), or if your cheap baby powder or baking soda works well too.
  • superspork2
    superspork2 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have to wash my hair everyday. So I typically try to workout in the morning before I get ready. I would recommend investing in a shampoo and conditioner meant for everyday use. They are super gentle on your hair and make sure you get ones without sulfates and things like that. Also I use an oil treatment on my hair before I got to bed, so that puts back a lot of the stuff I lose from washing it everyday and keeps the damage down. Also, dry shampoo!!