i have 5 months to loss 80-100 lbs { help } any ideas

Options

Replies

• _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    ETA:
    OP - listen to the advice of the people on MFP that have been successful. I read your post from yesterday and I realize that you are grabbing for anything that can help you be thin by a certain date. It's all fools gold. It never works and if you do lose too fast you are going to feel bad. I think you know this.

Try this plan. I've learned these things from listening to the people that are successful on MFP.

*eat at a healthy calorie deficit from your TDEE
    *weigh/measure/log everything that goes in your mouth
    *eat the foods you like - but do it in moderation (the hardest but most important thing to learn)
    *find something you love to do and then do it consistently
    *have patience and don't quit (even when you have a bad day or week, keep going)

All these things build habits that will help you get healthy and to a healthy weight. There's nothing in that list that mentions drugs, restricting foods, hours of cardio or fast weight loss. It's just a recipe for being healthy in the long run.
    +1
    OP:
    Start earlier next time.

Your aggressive goal will set you up for a whole bunch of failure. If you are truly ready to make some changes, read the link provided up thread and all of the links in it.

This.

There is no timeline. Setting arbitrary goals that could have a negative impact on your health is not the way to start losing.

Lose what you can safely and go thinner than you are now. But don't give yourself an unattainable goal and ruin your whole vacation obsessing about it.

yup. it bears repeating because it's the best answer.
    +1
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    no 1 is pushing me I just want to loss weight im tired of being over weight im 5'1 and im nt going to tell my weight lol but im short/big

Show you mine if you show me yours.

I started at 242 pounds at 5'10"

I was 5 1/2 stone overweight.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I am not a big fan of lose x number of pounds by y date. It sets yourself up for failure, even if it is a 'realistic' goal you will think of yourself as a failure if you miss it by 1 or 2 lbs instead of focusing on all of the weight you have lost.

Use MFP to help set yourself a calorie target and then get up each morning and commit to eating under your calorie target and doing at least 30 minutes of exercise. If you do that day after day, the weight will come off. Start now, and you will be amazed at how much you can lose by your vacation. You will look and feel better than you do today.

The more you need to loss the more aggressive you can be about your calorie deficit. With a total goal of 80 to 100lbs you can probably set yourself up for a 2lb per week loss, but then you need to see if you can live within the calorie range. If you find it difficult to stick to that range, then you need to slow down your weight loss. Being too restrictive tends to lead to binges.
  • Zomb1eMummy
    Zomb1eMummy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but I got started with Optifast from my doctor. It is kinda crazy eating only 5 "products" a day. Shakes, soup or bars and a total of 800 calories a day. All supervised by your doctor and requires weekly meetings with a nutritionist.

Worked well for me but I am an older pretty heavy guy.

My dad went on a similar diet. All soups, shakes and that's it. 600-800 calories a day and lost over 100 pounds in 8 months. Mind you he had weekly doctors visits and he had to do this because of really bad heart issues. I highly do not recommend this unless you have to. I tried it and I swear I felt dead everyday.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Whenever I have tried to lose a large amount of weight in a short amount of time, I have gained it back and then more. Of course it I hard to keep it off no matter what. Make some changes in the right direction and accept what happens to your body as a change in the right direction. Count and log your calories, exercise daily (mix it up between cardio and strength training - whatever makes you happy and feel fulfilled), and eat lots of veggies. No matter how much you lose, you will feel better and with the exercise look better too.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I think you'll be fine, as long as you meant July 2016.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Don't fall into the trap of setting a large and possibly unattainable goal. Pick a shorter term goal like lose 8 lbs. by St. Patrick's Day and then pick another when you get to that one. Since you've not yet even started with diet/exercise, you have no clue how quickly or slowly you're going to lose weight. The 3500 calories equal 1 pond of weight loss is an average not an absolute.

Since you've taken the first step and gotten on MFP, eat the calories it suggests, get some exercise and see where that takes you. There's a learning curve at the beginning, so tweak things as you go along and you'll be successful.

This! 100lbs in 5 months is not a realistic goal, at least not if you want to do it in a healthy way... in fact 50lbs in 5 months is definately doable but will still take a lot of focus and effort....

And like this poster said... focus on 10lbs at a time... at least personally... the end goal seems too far away and unattainable when you are hungry from dieting, and sore for working out, so it is really easy to say screw it and go on a binge... but if you've ony got 3lbs left until your next 10lb mark... a lot easier to stay focused for... Best of luck! Enjoy your vacation!
  • April_220
    April_220 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I tried skimming through the comments so I wouldn't repeat too much here. So, just a few notes:

(1) AMOUNT OF WEIGHT LOSS -- It is perfectly healthy to lose more than 2 lbs a week. It is a misconception that it is not; in fact, it is more common to lose more than 2 lbs a week if you are heavier (and putting in a lot of work). With that said, do NOT focus on the number! You can have a rough goal, but realize that if you are putting in the work you will see changes in your body even when the scale doesn't budge. (For example, I once dropped a full size without losing a single pound.) Taking your measurements when you start will help keep you motivated as you see those numbers change, and it will also increase your confidence in how you look for when you go on vacation.

(2) RESTRICTIVE, HEALTHY EATING -- Any "diet" you choose MUST include adequate vitamins, minerals, and protein, because you will need to stay nourished and strong to have the ability to do the large amount of exercise necessary to lose weight. Some people substitute meals with "green smoothies" that contain lots of fruit, vegetables and can include protein powders. I would not suggest these smoothies being your only "food" but you can substitute 1-2 meals while eating healthy, solid food for your other calories. Given that you have such a large amount of weight to lose, right now you should NOT try to immediately start a drastic diet (e.g. all liquid) or drastic calorie restriction because you will likely feel lightheaded or get quickly discouraged or the requirement of such a drastic change from your current lifestyle might make you just quit it all together. Once you get started with a slightly more calorie restrictive diet and your body gets used to it, you can get more restrictive or make additional changes to help you lose weight. By gradually making changes your body will lose weight quicker because it won't feel like you're starving it all-of-a-sudden.

(3) EXERCISE -- You need to exercise A LOT, which is why a healthy diet full of vitamins and nutrients is essential. You need to make sure you include weight training, because weight training helps to build more muscle, which burns more calories. You also need to do a tremendous amount of cardio. The only way to lose that kind of excess weight/fat is through cardio. If you can afford to regularly work with a personal trainer, that would be very helpful. If you don't have a lot of money, see if you can find a good personal trainer that you can see only 1-2 times per month. That way the trainer can give you adjustments to your exercise and nutrition plan as your weight, fitness level changes. It also gives you some accountability and motivation, because you will know that at your training session, your trainer will weigh/measure you and expect you to have made physical progress.

(4) PLANNING TO STICK TO YOUR PLAN -- Obviously, if you are at the weight you are, just saying that you want to lose weight hasn't worked in the past. In other words, you need a plan of attack that will help you stay motivated and make you eat well and workout even when you don't want to. So, I recommend finding a "workout buddy" (or two) to give you accountability to exercise so even on days when you don't feel like it, you know that you are committed to getting a workout in. You and your person don't necessarily have to be at the same fitness level -- but it helps if you are. The goal is to make sure you can't skip out on exercise because you've made a commitment to meet someone. If possible, you should also try to find a friend who near you who would be interested in going on a similar eating plan -- or generally embarking on eating really healthy -- you should "buddy" with them too. Support is important and people emulate the behaviors of others around them. If you are talking a lot with people who have health-related goals, it can help you stay focused. Another recommendation is that you write down your goals and post them in your room AND put them in your wallet so that when you have the urge to buy/eat unhealthy food or do something counter-productive, then you can look at your goals and try to focus on what you really want.

I hope some of this helps! Feel free to friend me if you would like to chat and support each other!!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much you weigh, but if your ticker is any indication, I used to be your size (I'm 5'0 ... I've lost about as much weight as your ticker says you are trying to lose). It took me about a year and a half to lose 100 lbs. I've kept it off for nearly 3 years, and that is far more important than how long it too me to lose it. I beg you to simply establish a calorie deficit, do some strength training to hold on to your lean mass, and be patient. You do not need HCG shots or pill or some crazy crash diet. You don't. I promise. And you definitely don't need to lose the weight in 5 months.
  • krispy1129
    Options
    I would like to loss 80-100 lbs by end of july. my family is planning a vaction to the beach and I want to feel and look better then what I do now so im open to ideas {help}

It's not possible and even if you did some how drop that much weight you wont look good in a bathing suit due to all the skin that will be hanging off of your body.

Edit: I really hope this was a troll or a joke btw

It isn't impossible. I know on a no carb diet with about 700 Calories of intake a day I dropped 80 Pounds in a 3 month period. The reason it isnt recommended is the fact that as soon as you go back to eating you have not taught yourself healthy diet and put the weight back on.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I think if you lose that much weight in 5 months it may be done in an unhealthy weight. The best weight loss is 1-2lbs a week. That would give you around 40 lbs.
    ^^^This.

But you can keep going & lose the rest after your vacation.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

And you will look and feel so much better with the 40 pounds gone. People will be so excited for you.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    You best start yesterday!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I would like to loss 80-100 lbs by end of july. my family is planning a vaction to the beach and I want to feel and look better then what I do now so im open to ideas {help}

It's not possible and even if you did some how drop that much weight you wont look good in a bathing suit due to all the skin that will be hanging off of your body.

It isn't impossible. I know on a no carb diet with about 700 Calories of intake a day I dropped 80 Pounds in a 3 month period. The reason it isnt recommended is the fact that as soon as you go back to eating you have not taught yourself healthy diet and put the weight back on.

Plus you will lose all kinds of muscle and look worse in the end.
  • scarrletti_girl
    scarrletti_girl Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    that is an unhealthy amount. i would am for 20 to 50lb loss because if u do end up losing that much you could end up regaining all the weight back.

and the healthy way is exercise a healthy calorie deficit and eating clean.
    good luck.
  • krispy1129
    Options

Plus you will lose all kinds of muscle and look worse in the end.

Not if you exercise. I lifted and the primary source of a low or no carb diet is protein so my body got back the muscle it lost, but it was the most unpleasant 3 months of my life and I dont recommend it, but if you are really motivated or like I was part of a large wager their are definitely diets that can help in 5 months...
  • likitisplit
    Options
    My first question when opening this was how painful of a death are you being threatened with if you don't reach you're goal. That being said, it seems like that's a pretty hefty goal to reach. What is your height/weight at the moment? How active are you currently? How well do you currently eat?

The bigger you are, the more you can lose quickly (to start), but this isn't a rushing game. Take a yard at a time. Hey, even if you only lost 25 lbs before your vacation, you will still look fantastic, and feel a whole lot better.

Hang in there, give us the rest of the info we need.

Andrew

no 1 is pushing me I just want to loss weight im tired of being over weight im 5'1 and im nt going to tell my weight lol but im short/big

I think a lot of us know how it feels to be sick of the weight and just want it GONE. It's not a good strategy though. Even a 10% loss is a huge visible change. You CAN achieve your goal of looking/feeling better even if you lose the weight more sustainably.
  • rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much you weigh, but if your ticker is any indication, I used to be your size (I'm 5'0 ... I've lost about as much weight as your ticker says you are trying to lose). It took me about a year and a half to lose 100 lbs. I've kept it off for nearly 3 years, and that is far more important than how long it too me to lose it. I beg you to simply establish a calorie deficit, do some strength training to hold on to your lean mass, and be patient. You do not need HCG shots or pill or some crazy crash diet. You don't. I promise. And you definitely don't need to lose the weight in 5 months.

If you are serious and ready, listen to this gal. Assess were you are now and what and how you can get started on this with your life style. Being a mother of five etc., is your life stable and organized enough to set some goals now? Get educated on a plan that makes sense and you can stick to.
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    OP - listen to the advice of the people on MFP that have been successful. I read your post from yesterday and I realize that you are grabbing for anything that can help you be thin by a certain date. It's all fools gold. It never works and if you do lose too fast you are going to feel bad. I think you know this.

Try this plan. I've learned these things from listening to the people that are successful on MFP.

*eat the foods you like - but do it in moderation (the hardest but most important thing to learn)
    *have patience and don't quit (even when you have a bad day or week, keep going)

All these things build habits that will help you get healthy and to a healthy weight. There's nothing in that list that mentions drugs, restricting foods, hours of cardio or fast weight loss. It's just a recipe for being healthy in the long run.

X Infinity!!

Check out her ticker - she's DONE it!!
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    OP, did you notice that when you posted that you got your first HCG shot yesterday, the thread was locked? Did you read the reason why? Food for thought.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

X Infinity!!

Check out her ticker - she's DONE it!!

All of this!