Paleo or South Beach?

Options
Hello all!
I am currently in my first week of my weight loss journey and am trying to figure out what diet plan will work best for me. I have 100 lbs. to lose and am looking to make a lifestyle change in the way I eat. Originally, my doctor recommended the South Beach diet. However, I have been hearing great things regarding Paleo and am not quite sure what direction I want to go in.
Right now I am trying to get together a good menu for the next couple of weeks- so I am a clean slate! I can pretty much go in either direction. Here are some of the things I need in whatever diet I choose:

-No bread, rice, pasta, and as few gluten products as possible.
-High in fiber (I have severe colon issues following childbirth)
-I love seafood- and I live in Louisiana, so I have access to a variety of fresh seafood.
-Low sugar- still a little fuzzy on what fruits constitute as "low in sugar" and would be the best for me digestively

I am also hoping that, along with losing weight, this new lifestyle change will result in better digestive health for me. I am looking for a COMPLETE overhaul of my colon.

So, which plan would you recommend? Paleo or South Beach? Thanks!

Replies

• MB2MN
    MB2MN Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    ^^^ This. It sounds like with your dietary restrictions you will be following pretty closely to either one of these diets anyways. Stick to a deficit, eat sensibly and weigh your portions.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    What kind of digestive problems are you having? In general, a complete diet overhaul (rapid, dramatic change) is stressful for your GI system. For example, a lot of people that start "eating clean" for the first time experience issues with the dramatic and rapid increase in fiber.

Also, depending on your health issues, you might want to re-prioritize. You should really consider a wholistic approach instead of debating which fad to follow.
  • 4realrose8
    4realrose8 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm insulin resistant and pre-diabetic so following similar guidelines.

You can add me if you want. I don't understand the hate around here for low carb. Everyone is different-- do what helps you the most and ignore the nay-sayers.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options
    Neither. They are stupid diets that don't last and the incredibly restrictive nature of them sets you up to fail before you even start. Use MFP how it is intended and eat at a calorie deficit.

That's it. Losing weight is easy. Just eat at a deficit. There is no reason to deprive yourself of anything.

Is South Beach really all that restrictive?
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    -No bread, rice, pasta, and as few gluten products as possible.
    -I love seafood- and I live in Louisiana, so I have access to a variety of fresh seafood.
    -Low sugar- still a little fuzzy on what fruits constitute as "low in sugar" and would be the best for me digestively

Given these factors I would give paleo a try. Keep in mind that while a transition to a healthy lifestyle won't be easy it should not feel like a horrible chore. Don't be afraid to experiment and adjust as you go along. I saw that you consulted with your doctor which is a good first step. You may also want to consult with a registered dietician.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • brittrobert3605
    Options
    Jerry- thanks for the advice- YES I am using MFP and doing a calorie deficit diet, but I do need to deprive myself of things because of my digestive issues. I can't even begin to explain what I have gone through the last six months without getting graphic, but I will tell you that what I eat makes a HUGE difference in the way I function. I have lasting issues following labor that intensify if I don't get enough fiber, or eat bread, or eat too much red meat, or have too much sugar. It is a painful, miserable cycle that I need to break in order to continue living a normal life. That's why I am looking to make a lifestyle change, not just start a diet.
  • KLTorres13
    KLTorres13 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    I too struggle with gluten intolerance and the horrible side effects that come after ingesting it. I did South Beach a while ago to just get rid of my sugar addiction but after the initial 2 week period you are supposed to add certain things back to your diet (slowly) to see what you react to. Bread/pasta/etc. being something you "add" back. Paleo is a great way of eating and it seems like you are doing that anyway :) If I may suggest something that really changed the way I look at food… check out whole9life.com. It is based on clean eating and healing your gut. The "whole 30" discussed on the website helped me kick my sugar addiction and really started the healing process with my stomach. Good luck to you! Feel free to add me if you want!
  • starsandowls
    starsandowls Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    South Beach. It's a lot less extreme, and you'd have to be a professional eating contest winner to shove down enough fiber on the Paleo diet without drinking gallons of Metamucil. Honestly, though, there is no magic diet plan that's going to be better than good old fashioned nutrition control and exercise. South Beach will help teach you some nutritional basics in a way that a lot of the trendy diets won't. At least, when I worked for the company that administered the online version in 2004, that was true. I don't know how it's changed in the past 10 years.

You mentioned your colon. Make sure you get at least 15g of fiber a day and drink all the water you're supposed to, and that should make your colon happy. My gastroenterologist (colon dude) had zero patience with my, "But carbs!" complaint and said that an apple, a bowl of Raisin Bran, and two slices of whole wheat bread would get me to there. There might have been some muttering about new-fangled diet fads. He's about nine hundred years old and really healthy, so clearly his apple a day hasn't done him any harm.

Best of luck to you - it's a long road, but just keep walking it.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options
    Neither. They are stupid diets that don't last and the incredibly restrictive nature of them sets you up to fail before you even start. Use MFP how it is intended and eat at a calorie deficit.

That's it. Losing weight is easy. Just eat at a deficit. There is no reason to deprive yourself of anything.

Is South Beach really all that restrictive?

Any diet with a name is unnecessarily restrictive, IMO.

That's not a very thoughtful approach, but ok
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Just eat normal foods in moderation at a calorie deficit. There is no need to make it so complicated
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    First off welcome to MFP, sounds like you're in the right frame of mind to get the job done.

I would suggest that which ever route you chose in the end, please do the research and make sure it fits what you're after and your life style (you will probably get a lot of suggestion, most of which will get you to your end goal. - It's just that based on you, your back ground and what you enjoy eating and the amount of exercise you are happy doing, some of the diets will be easier to follow and will be more sustainable than other).

I personally eat based on a diet called the Primal Blue Print - which is a variation of the paleo diet (whilst this is not everyone's cup of tea - it works for me). I've never done the Southbeach diet so I cannot compare the two.

It is a low carb (not no carb - It isn't Atkins), medium protein high fat diet. The main goal of the diet is to maintain/increase lean mass and reduce body fat - in short to be as healthy as you can be.

With this particular diet I have found it cuts out all of the carb cravings I was getting on a medium to high carb eating style and therefore it is much more sustainable than simply eating the percentage of high carb, whilst having to restrict you calorie through deficit. This diet will also work based on a calorie deficit but is a lot easier to achieve (this is my own experience of the diet, others may have different experiences).

The guy that heads the primal blue print is a chap called Mark Sisson's and he has a daily blog called Marks Daily Apple. He does also own a supplement company - however at no point have these ever been forced upon anyone either through his blog or through their forums, Also I have been following this now for 8 weeks and it has not cost me a single dime.

I would suggest having a look and making your own mind up.

Also just to point out I have been on the MFP site for a couple of weeks now and they are really helpful, and to date no-one has provided any documented studies or evidence that the primal blue print does not reduce body fat or maintain lean mass - so that would suggest it works.

Good luck on your journey based on whatever avenue you go down.
  • osorio0203
    osorio0203 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the calorie deficit plan. I have been using this for about 6 months and have lost almost 35 Lbs. Most of that was in the first 8 weeks. I have been maintaining lately. If you would increase your protein intake you would not feel as hungry and it will help boost your metabolism. I have had great results by sticking with this. I feel better when I exercise....I sleep better. You will notice a big difference in your life. I also feels pretty good when people notice. I wish you the best of luck. If you want to add me as a friend you can.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

SO Jerry - honest answer please.

How many days did you last on the south beach diet and paleo before you realised it wasn't for you?

Also what were your reasons for switching away from them?
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I switched to a plant-based whole foods diet and it has had an amazing impact on my health, especially my digestive issues. I didn't switch to lose weight though. If you are focused on weight loss like most people will say you can do that with just a calorie deficit.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    South beach. If you want high fiber, then beans are a great way to get it, especially with your grain restrictions. Beans are fat free, low calorie, high fiber and contain a crapload of valuable nutritients.

The Paleo Diet thinks beans are poison. :huh:
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest you eat at a calorie deficit, make sure you get plenty of protein (sea food an ideal source):

After that, I'd follow a diet along the following...
    No bread, rice, pasta, and as few gluten products as possible.

;)

There is no need to copy some fad.

I would agree with the above about trying to find a specific problem.