Paleo or South Beach?

Options

Replies

• HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    and to date no-one has provided any documented studies or evidence that the primal blue print does not reduce body fat or maintain lean mass - so that would suggest it works.

I appreciate your contribution to this thread, but the above...that isn't typically how science works. People don't pour money into proving a negative. The burden of proof in any debate is on the affirmative. What would be compelling is empirical evidence to the affirmative. The absence of evidence in the negative proves nothing...
  • The_GingerBeard_Man
    Options
    I am a big believer in moderation, and just eating at TDEE with a deficit. But, if having a plan works better for you, then check out the work USNEWS did on the subject. They studied and ranked 32 different popular diets on a wide range of categories. Both Paleo and Southbeach ranked lower than other diet models.

http://health.usnews.com/best-diet
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Neither. They are stupid diets that don't last and the incredibly restrictive nature of them sets you up to fail before you even start. Use MFP how it is intended and eat at a calorie deficit.

That's it. Losing weight is easy. Just eat at a deficit. There is no reason to deprive yourself of anything.

Is South Beach really all that restrictive?

No, it's not. It a low glycemic index diet.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    and to date no-one has provided any documented studies or evidence that the primal blue print does not reduce body fat or maintain lean mass - so that would suggest it works.

I appreciate your contribution to this thread, but the above...that isn't typically how science works. People don't pour money into proving a negative. The burden of proof in any debate is on the affirmative. What would be compelling is empirical evidence to the affirmative. The absence of evidence in the negative proves nothing...

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Well said.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Jerry- thanks for the advice- YES I am using MFP and doing a calorie deficit diet, but I do need to deprive myself of things because of my digestive issues. I can't even begin to explain what I have gone through the last six months without getting graphic, but I will tell you that what I eat makes a HUGE difference in the way I function. I have lasting issues following labor that intensify if I don't get enough fiber, or eat bread, or eat too much red meat, or have too much sugar. It is a painful, miserable cycle that I need to break in order to continue living a normal life. That's why I am looking to make a lifestyle change, not just start a diet.

Ok. Well good luck. I hope you find what works. I guess then, for me, it would be easy to stop eating all that stuff.

Have you been tested? I tend to distrust the medical community when it comes to this. They tend to say stop eating 90% of all food groups and see if that works. I'm exaggerating to make a point about how I detest their process.

When you're all done, you don't really know what was the cause, you think it's bread, and pasta, and rice, and red meat , and, ..., and..., and, when really, it's a small part of some of those foods that you need to eliminate, not the entire macronutrient class of foods. But, I understand that trial and error is painful and listen to the professionals is a good move right now.

I'd suggest that overtime, you get more specific testing and force them to exactly tell you what is causing your problem. Not a general description of carbs and red meat, but get down to the specific process that occurs when you consume a type of food and why that happens. You may not really have to restrict your diet as much as you think. In the end, it's your life. I wouldn't settle on such wide-sweeping advice, unless I was convinced it's true.

One large issue we have going on right now is a doctor tells a patient to cut carbs, stop eating gluten, and don't eat sugar. The patient does that and feels better. But, no one really knows what the problem was. Yes, all that solved it, but which specific element was causing an issue? What is the issue? The answer is no one knows. It is like your car breaks down. So, the mechanic says he will replace the engine. So, the car is fixed with the new engine, but no one knows what was wrong with the old engine and did it even need to be replaced? It's a ridiculous way to practice medicine.

Some times there are no tests that can give you the exact answer. Eliminating everything from your diet to find the cause can be very effective. I eliminated everything but fruits and vegetables from my diet until all the health concerns I had were gone. Then I slowly added things back into my diet to see what happened. When my symptoms starting coming back after eating certain things I knew what to eliminate. It's worked well for me.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options
    Neither. They are stupid diets that don't last and the incredibly restrictive nature of them sets you up to fail before you even start. Use MFP how it is intended and eat at a calorie deficit.

That's it. Losing weight is easy. Just eat at a deficit. There is no reason to deprive yourself of anything.

No, it's not. It a low glycemic index diet.

I thought so. If she can't eat breads and gluten, it might be a helpful start. I typically avoid fad diets, but it doesn't seem like South Beach is anything all that crazy. I have no idea if it's more or less effective than just keeping a deficit, but with the OPs dietary restrictions it's a bit of a moot point.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Also just to point out I have been on the MFP site for a couple of weeks now and they are really helpful, and to date no-one has provided any documented studies or evidence that the primal blue print does not reduce body fat or maintain lean mass - so that would suggest it works.
    Does it involve eating at a Calorie deficit?

If it does, there's plenty of evidence from research that shows you will lose weight.
    Similarly, high protein for helping maintain lean mass.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Might I suggest the wonderful world of IIFIYM?

You would be able to custom tailor the foods you want to eat without having digestive issues. Sounds like you just need to pre-log food for the day.

if-it-fits-your-macros-IIFYM-620x350.jpg
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    suscribed.
  • brittrobert3605
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, everyone! Looks like I have some homework to do!

To be clear, neither of these fad diets has "exactly" the plan I am looking to follow- I need the high fiber that Paleo can't offer, and I can't eat the breads, pastas, etc. that South Beach starts introducing after a couple of weeks. I was on Weight Watchers before I got pregnant- and I LOVED it. I lost 25 lbs. and felt great- and I was still eating foods that I loved. I was lucky back then- had no digestive issues and could eat whatever I wanted and have a bowel movement 20 minutes later. Now, if I so much as LOOK at a piece of bread my body shuts down. Nothing is the same as it was before and I am MISERABLE. It isn't just the weight anymore.

Anyway, I will look into some of the websites and "clean eating" resources you guys suggested. I think this might be my best bet. Also- to the person who suggested a licensed dietician- thanks! I go to a colon hydrotherapist and she is also a licensed dietician. I actually texted her as soon as I saw your post;) (don't know why it didn't occur to me to just call her in the first place).
    Thanks for the help yall!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    For vacation? South Beach.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Wow, what a great body swerve. Good on ya.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Por qué no, ni
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options

Ok. Well good luck. I hope you find what works. I guess then, for me, it would be easy to stop eating all that stuff.

Have you been tested? I tend to distrust the medical community when it comes to this. They tend to say stop eating 90% of all food groups and see if that works. I'm exaggerating to make a point about how I detest their process.

When you're all done, you don't really know what was the cause, you think it's bread, and pasta, and rice, and red meat , and, ..., and..., and, when really, it's a small part of some of those foods that you need to eliminate, not the entire macronutrient class of foods. But, I understand that trial and error is painful and listen to the professionals is a good move right now.

Macronutrients are not a "class of foods"

I'd suggest that overtime, you get more specific testing and force them to exactly tell you what is causing your problem. Not a general description of carbs and red meat, but get down to the specific process that occurs when you consume a type of food and why that happens.

You obviously have no idea how expensive it is to determine the mechanism of action for multiple biological processes that contribute to a constellation of symptoms. No insurance plan would ever cover it. Those diagnostic tools likely don't even exist, since you cannot eliminate confounding variables. That is why we use trial and error. It's safe and inexpensive.
    You may not really have to restrict your diet as much as you think. In the end, it's your life. I wouldn't settle on such wide-sweeping advice, unless I was convinced it's true.

But that isn't how this process works, and clinicians know that. An elimination diet plan is an effective means of identifying problem foods. You eliminate most, and add things back one at a time over a period of weeks while using a food journal to track symptoms and foods. Her doctor is giving her sound advice.
    One large issue we have going on right now is a doctor tells a patient to cut carbs, stop eating gluten, and don't eat sugar. The patient does that and feels better. But, no one really knows what the problem was. Yes, all that solved it, but which specific element was causing an issue? What is the issue? The answer is no one knows. It is like your car breaks down. So, the mechanic says he will replace the engine. So, the car is fixed with the new engine, but no one knows what was wrong with the old engine and did it even need to be replaced? It's a ridiculous way to practice medicine.

:noway:
  • MDChesler
    MDChesler Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Neither. Fad diets are unsustainable. You can stick with it for a short time and see significant weight loss but when and I do mean when someone stops following the diet all the weight comes back on.

The only sustainable way is to count all your calories eaten and calories burned and be honest with yourself in doing so.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Well, you've only kind of alluded to what may be wrong with you, based on certain foods. Have you been tested for food allergies or gluten intolerance?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest you eat at a calorie deficit, make sure you get plenty of protein (sea food an ideal source):

After that, I'd follow a diet along the following...
    No bread, rice, pasta, and as few gluten products as possible.
    -High in fiber (I have severe colon issues following childbirth)
    -I love seafood- and I live in Louisiana, so I have access to a variety of fresh seafood.
    -Low sugar- still a little fuzzy on what fruits constitute as "low in sugar" and would be the best for me digestively

;)

There is no need to copy some fad.

I would agree with the above about trying to find a specific problem.

This is the exact advice you should follow.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Also just to point out I have been on the MFP site for a couple of weeks now and they are really helpful, and to date no-one has provided any documented studies or evidence that the primal blue print does not reduce body fat or maintain lean mass - so that would suggest it works.
    Does it involve eating at a Calorie deficit?

If it does, there's plenty of evidence from research that shows you will lose weight.
    Similarly, high protein for helping maintain lean mass.

I did mention in the post it involves eating a calorie deficit. - So you conquer it works (and can therefore be put forward as a suggestion).

After all there's a lot of different options, not all of which will suit the OP - I'm not saying this one will - it's just there in the hat!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

No, it's not.
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you already have a plan! Focus on lean protein sources (seafood is an excellent one), enjoy your fruits and veggies (if looking for low-glycemic, there are thousands of online resources and shopping lists) and if you include whole grains in moderation you have a well rounded plan. The problems I can see you having is avoiding high fat cooking. I live near the gulf in Texas and we love to fry just like Louisiana. When making food or ordering it, make sure the amount of fat/oil you use is "condiment sized", like the tip of your thumb. There is nothing wrong with fat per say, but it's caloric density makes it easy to over do. Steam or over-fry (bake) whenever you can. Healthy whole fats like avocado & nuts are wonderful for you, but these should be incorporated thoughtfully.

Like others have said, a calorie deficit will allow you to lose weight. I would avoid a restrictive plan, unless I really loved it and the foods already. A book on basic nutrition for your situation can be very beneficial. Flexibility in a diet so you don't feel deprived is key to long term success.