Guys-if I can, you can! 1 year, almost 70lbs w/photos

Options
Hiker_Rob
Hiker_Rob Posts: 5,547 Member
Hey guys (and girls) I just want to say if I can do this so can you. I'm one of the last people I thought would be able to not only loose a bunch of weight but also get fit at the same time (and quit smoking). I'm 47 and getting to be in the best shape of my life, i feel better now than I have in decades. I quit smoking on Feb 18 2 years ago and decided that no matter what I was going to stay quit - I was going to give myself 1 year to make it work - this resulted in a lot of eating and I was over weight to begin with. On my first anniversary of quitting it was the day to make the change, 1 year ago today I started on my journey to get healthy.

What I've done is not complicated, it's all small steps, one day, one week, one month at a time. I make weekly changes that I incorporate into my life and build on them. I started small, I was almost 300lbs and horribly out of shape, I started by just going for walks and slowly cutting back on 'bad foods'. As I progressed I would walk more often, then began working out. I eliminated fast food completely and began to eat more and more healthy. I did not cut out anything other then fast food but I changed my mentality, what I live by today - every day is this: "Moderation, not Deprivation - Everything is fine in moderation." I personally believe that depriving one's self only causes us to want something all the more and when the opportunity comes knocking we take it and sometimes abandon the great road we were on. The key to my success is eating in moderation, enjoying life (and food), being physically active and working out frequently.
I started my journey exactly 1 year ago at 298lbs and today am 229.6lbs. I have also lost countless inches including about 8" on my waist and 11" around my stomach. I still have a little ways to go yet until I meet my original goal weight but I am almost there.

The first picture is from December 2012
e84d6196-daa6-4174-bdfe-c35e45bd6a95_zps817cf8a8.jpg

January 2013
ae69a223-ba47-4cd5-bb18-e73adc261f75_zps6268f2d5.jpg

November 2013
2810fd28-f001-458d-99ac-78469d310192_zps36f07eea.jpg

Feb 18, 2014
04bf5373-c1f4-4b04-9652-189ba3bae8c5_zpsb1f80548.jpgfd0f2d60-be83-4e43-a08d-aacefe7333ea_zpscd6f1e83.jpg

Replies

• Relle3
    Relle3 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You look awesome! Good Job!
  • peabean26
    peabean26 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You look great! So much younger and happier looking!
  • change30
    change30 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed your post! =) You look Awesome! Congratulations on all your hard work! You Rock! Thanks for sharing!
  • olores
    olores Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    WOW!
  • apf2013
    apf2013 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your story. You look great.
  • palmerdanielle
    palmerdanielle Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Amazing work! Congratulations!
  • cbsavga
    cbsavga Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I like your approach. It is SPOT ON!! Great job.
  • tiggsnanny
    tiggsnanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Amazing transformation :happy: well done
  • kristyrae24
    kristyrae24 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Way to go! And, you look like Dennis Quaid. :)
  • TracyJo93
    TracyJo93 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    You look at least ten years younger! Congrats on your success for far :)
  • huntergreene71
    huntergreene71 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Super job, your plan is very much identical to mine except I started about 100 lbs higher and I'm currently where you started. It's nice that you have "before" photos, I avoided cameras like the plague. Your post gave me an extra little kick today, thanks.
  • moonyxvx
    Options
    Way to go! And, you look like Dennis Quaid. :)

I thought the same thing.
    Way to go! :-)
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Just awesome, Hi5!
  • billyswife0516
    Options
    Great job!!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Wow. Looks like more than 70. Great job!
  • dawndovell
    dawndovell Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! That is the look of success!
  • RamonaQuimbhouse
    Options
    You're doing amazing, hiker! You should feel great about your progress.

My husband and I took an approach much like you described. Eliminating 'junk' bit by bit, adding new foods (almond milk being a very new exciting find for me, who loves cereal), turning walks into jogs, tacking "just 5 more minutes" on to the run, etc. Instead of feeling like it is a drag that progress happens so slowly, it has actually turned around in my mind now, because I'm learning to really enjoy the small victories. Last night, that was realizing that 24 minutes had passed before I looked at my stopwatch for the first time on the treadmill, whereas last week, I was typically peeking at it at the 15 minute point.

Small victories, my friend. Keep it up!
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Fantastic success and I am honored to call you one of my friends. Congratulations you're amazing :flowerforyou:
  • texasfarmer
    texasfarmer Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Quit smoking and weight loss, what an accomplishment! Great job.
  • SandraD1424
    SandraD1424 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You look great and have a huge accomplishment! Thanks for sharing
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!