Pizza: want but ought not to have!

Options
Hi folks,

So I have a mad craving for pizza at the moment which, I must confess, I have given in to on more than one occasion. :sad:

Has anyone got an idea for a healthier swap?

It tends to be around lunchtime or mid-afternoon before work. I need something that either takes minimum preparation or is easy to grab.

Most of all, something to satisfy the itch to eat something deliciously carby and decadent without breaking the calorie bank!!

Cheers :happy:

Replies

• navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Just have pizza. It's not unhealthy, it has protein, carbs, fiber, and it's tasty, what's the problem? Go for supreme, lots of veggies and sausage, hard to beat.

Rigger
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Eat the pizza! Make it fit into your day and enjoy!
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Just have pizza. It's not unhealthy, it has protein, carbs, fiber, and it's tasty, what's the problem? Go for supreme, lots of veggies and sausage, hard to beat.

Rigger

This. Just don't have a whole large super deluxe pizza in one sitting. Most chain pizza joints have nutritional info on their websites, so you can calculate how many delicious, cheesy, veggie-packed slices you can have and still fit your macros.
  • fpelletier
    fpelletier Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Ditto everyone else! I have pizza, usually 1-2 slices and salad :) the key is everything in moderation!
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Two 12" slices of a typical pizza are around 500-600 cals.

Or make your own. I use pita bread, tomato sauce, weigh the cheese, add some sort of meat, add veggies. 8" Pita = ~170 cals, tomato sauce = 5 cals, 40 grams light mozza cheese = ~135 cals, 50 grams sliced ham = 55 cals, veggies = 20 cals...
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    A lot of ppl are probably going to think this is gross, but I buy the Lean Cuisine pizzas and I like them. I try not to eat them every single day, but a few times a week I fill my quota for pizza and I get a little bit more bang for my caloric buck.
  • laurelthistle
    laurelthistle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Yeah, just eat the pizza, but eat LESS of it. One slice with a big salad - eat the salad first, then enjoy the pizza. Or make yourself a "skinny" pizza using a whole wheat tortilla shell - add a little sauce, some cheese and some grilled/sauteed veggies, put it in the oven for a few minutes and bam - quick, tasty, relatively healthy pizza.
  • SmileyJen12
    SmileyJen12 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If I have pizza and I want to go a little on the healthy side, I normally choose chicken with lots vegetables and light cheese. It still satisfies my craving, but then I don't feel as guilty because it's lighter. :)

Or have your normal pizza and limit yourself to one or two slices. Then throw in an extra walk or do some exercising while watching your favorite TV shows.

Good luck! :)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    close-enough-healthy-eating-meme.png

No, really.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I have pizza every Sunday. I switched to thin crust roasted vegetable...

There are a few frozen pizzas that I like but for "fresh" here is Dominos nutrition guide by ingredient so that you can select just how many calories that you want.

http://cache.dominos.com/homev8/docs/menu/dominos_nutrition_v2.21.00.pdf
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    close-enough-healthy-eating-meme.png

No, really.

QFT
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you have? Do you have any other diet restrictions?

Pizza is a pretty broad term and can vary greatly in calories. There is a huge difference in a slice of thick crust, full fat cheese, meat lovers pizza and a thin crust veggie pizza with reduce fat cheese.

You can also get low calorie frozen pizzas like Lean Cuisine or Heathy Choice. They aren't great, but they aren't bad, and they may satisfy your craving without putting you over on calories.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I hit up my favorite pizza joint, Village Pizza in Corrales (and now a new location in the valley on Rio Grande Blvd) every couple of weeks or so. No biggie; it can be incorporated into an other wise balanced and nutritious diet (noun).
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Eat the pizza! Make it fit into your day and enjoy!

This!^

Choose thin crust

Choose 1 meat ....your favorite

Choose lots of veggies

Making your own is fairly easy. Fleischmann's pizza yeast is one step

http://www.pizzacrustyeast.com/

Use some whole wheat flour, use your favorite sauce, use 2% mozzarella, and use turkey pepperoni.....toss on lots of veggies.

Turkey pepperoni is way less fat. The texture is a little stiff.....so I cut the pepperoni into quarters.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    diet (noun).

:laugh: Nice!
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options

Rigger

Agreed.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Cauliflower crust pizza? To die for! & a better on the carb side of things! & you can add what you want to it.

I always suggest homemade pizza, but easier said than done.

Also 2 pieces of pizza isn't going to kill you, the whole thing might though!

Have fun, eat pizza! I love pizza!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I usually eat an entire medium-large pizza every other week or so. You will be fine.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Sadly, not all pizza is equal. There's a fairly wide spectrum ranging from a thin crust chicken/veggie supreme to a meat lover's deepdish double cheese.

If I want to make pizza a bit less dense for calories, I'll probably go thin crust just to reduce some of the extra carb. I have nothing against carbs, but unless I really want a deep dish, it's just extra calories I can spend elsewise. From there, I'll try to focus on leaner meats that are high flavor. I like a chicken and bacon combination. Chicken is obviously lean, and while bacon is generally not lean, you can crumble a fairly small amount on a pizza and still get a good amount of flavor from it without adding a ton of calories. Veggies, of course, add all kinds of micronutrients and fiber that are nice. Be sure to measure the major sources of fats (usually cheese and meats) with a scale, just so you're aware of how much is going in.

And then there are days when I just plan for the meat lover's deep dish because that's what I want.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else says... If you want pizza, make room for the pizza. Nothing wrong with that.