The Big Bad Gym Bully!

Options

Replies

• RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Starting out with a "racking your weights is considered proper gym etiquette" might have been more tactful for the first mention of it but as someone else said, she's not likely to forget. I can see where maybe that she thinks that "rule" is in place because some people can't lift some of the larger plates but it's really no different from what most of us learned as a child...put your toys away when you're done playing with them.

Love love LOVE the t-shirt idea!
  • crazie4lulu
    crazie4lulu Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    i work as a personal trainer at a gym. if you are the gym bully then you dont even want to know what i am!!!!!! IF YOU CAN LIFT IT ... THEN YOU CAN RACK IT BACK UP!!!!!
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I guess with all that crap she's lugging around, she didn't have time to rack her weights. It doesn't sound like she's serious, don't worry, she'll be gone soon.

ETA: Many moons ago I separated my shoulder, but that didn't keep me out of the gym, I could at least do legs. I guess I just have a very independent streak, because when guys would come over and offer to rack my weights for me, I declined. Yeah that's right, I was lifting 45lb plates with one freakin' hand. Now that I'm older, I wish I had just accepted the help.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Its also hard to know if someone is finished with the machine if they don't rack their weights. I wish more people would call others out for poor etiquette.

I saw another mini I pad type on the curl machine the other day and she was talking on her phone for 20 minutes and I needed the machine to complete my work out. When I gestured at her that I wanted the machine she gave me a withering look of annoyance....
  • jenna808
    jenna808 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    People not racking their weights drives me crazy!! Why do I have to waste my workout time taking off your plates? There's a few people at my gym who never rack, and I'm talking leaving 45lb plates on every machine they use. If I see they are done and leaving the weight room I say "You gonna rack your weights?" rather loudly. So I guess I'm a gym bully too then haha. I'm able to take those plates off if I have too but some people are not, plus it's just common sense and courtesy.
  • ironbutterfly_
    Options
    I want you in my gym. I had to put away 6 45 lb weights because I can only bench press the bar.

Thinking about making a shirt with "RACK'EM" on the front and back. Maybe I should embrace this whole bully thing LOL

:laugh:
  • Mav3rick54
    Mav3rick54 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Yep, embrace it....and then come over to my gym. There is one guy in my gym that is always putting the dumbbells in the wrong spot (resisting temptation to reference the dumb part).....today he put a pair of 60 pounders in the 45 lb spots right as I am bringing the 45s that I am using back. I take the passive aggressive approach and shake my head, place my weights on the floor, move the 60s about 5 feet down the rack and put mine up on the rack. Nothing was said and he just walked away. So I applaud you.
  • derkin2005
    derkin2005 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Good for you I have done the same, It is sad really.
  • jenna808
    jenna808 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yep, embrace it....and then come over to my gym. There is one guy in my gym that is always putting the dumbbells in the wrong spot (resisting temptation to reference the dumb part).....today he put a pair of 60 pounders in the 45 lb spots right as I am bringing the 45s that I am using back. I take the passive aggressive approach and shake my head, place my weights on the floor, move the 60s about 5 feet down the rack and put mine up on the rack. Nothing was said and he just walked away. So I applaud you.

Uggggh I hate that too! Put it back in order like you found it! I don't want to have to search thru two racks to find the weight I'm looking for! I thought it was just my OCD kicking in haha. /rant
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand people who don't rack their weights when they're done...it's like etiquette rule number one...and also just kind of basic common sense and courtesy. Why should other people have to rack your weights? I would fully expect someone to call my *kitten* out if I didn't rack my weights.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I do free weights at home, not machines. Am I reading this right that she was bench pressing 25 pounds? I a little lady, but that doesn't sound like much. Sorry, I know we aren't supposed to say that. And maybe it is different on the machine. It just sounds like doing curls with the 3 lb Barbie weights, and the low weight makes your story even worse!
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    It is always the part timers that treat the Iron Dojo with disrespect. Don't worry friend she will be gone soon enough and back again next year to iron out that new years resolution. Keep up the good work.
  • karen19711
    karen19711 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Send a shirt to Canada, Baby. Smile K xo
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I do free weights at home, not machines. Am I reading this right that she was bench pressing 25 pounds? I a little lady, but that doesn't sound like much. Sorry, I know we aren't supposed to say that. And maybe it is different on the machine. It just sounds like doing curls with the 3 lb Barbie weights, and the low weight makes your story even worse!
    [/quote

You are correct, you are no supposed to “weight shame” anybody and it is different in the machines, whatever machine that lady was using.

This thread is about gym courtesy and about failing to remove the weights when a person is done, not about how much somebody lifts.

Move on please....
  • Michelle2W
    Michelle2W Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Maybe I should have whined about the crotch sweat I had to wipe off a bench prior to using it today. Needed you at my gym to tell that girl, "Wipe Em"! LOL!!!!
  • michelleLynette
    michelleLynette Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! I am sure she won't forget to RACK EM again!!
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Hmpft...maybe I should share in the same approach when the people at my gym don't clean up after themselves on the turf!! They leave their cones, TRX ropes, mats, weights, etc on the turf after using them...irks me to no end!! You're my hero!!
  • MyPureSteez
    MyPureSteez Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    [/quote

You are correct, you are no supposed to “weight shame” anybody and it is different in the machines, whatever machine that lady was using.

This thread is about gym courtesy and about failing to remove the weights when a person is done, not about how much somebody lifts.

Move on please....

I really don't care how much she's lifting. It's just the fact that you think someone else should clean up behind you that really annoys me.
  • kelfran1
    kelfran1 Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm alone here, but I really do think that you could have said it a little nicer. I usually remind people of their manners by letting them know that they have 'forgotten' whatever they were supposed to do.

"Excuse me, did you forgot to rack your weights?" would have have gotten you to the same place without seeming confrontational.

Just my $0.02
  • AngelAura777
    AngelAura777 Posts: 225 Member
    Options