Do you stop eating after a certain time?

Options

Replies

• NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I always eat a snack right before bed. I try to keep it around 200-400 calories
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I eat right up until bedtime and always have.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    People will tell you all types of stuff on this site; good rule of thumb is once you are asleep, stop eating. I know, it sounds strange, but it usually works best, otherwise you have peanut butter in your bed when you wake up and go "WTF happened?"
  • pinaypanda87
    pinaypanda87 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If im hungry, i eat. Its its really late, i just try to keep it light so i dont wake up feeling like im still digesting my food from the previous night.
  • ClaudiaTheNice
    Options
    I know I've always been told you should stop eating after 7 or 8 pm just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on that theory. Typically by then I'm at my calorie limit but sometimes I'm not, wondering if there is any sense in pushing myself to eat before a certain time or if I'm within my daily limit it's fine?

I don't eat after I've brushed my teeth and that is usually 30min or so before I go to bed. That said, after 6-7pm I just have some light snack, usually not more then 100 calories.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I typically don't finish my workout until 7 p.m., then I start dinner. So, it's a no for me. I stop eating when I'm full.
  • deadyankee
    Options
    Hammer
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist suggested to not eat after 8:00 pm since I’m less active at that time. She said whatever I take in will only store as fat. If I am hungry I’ll have an herbal tea, with some honey. That has worked for me thus far.

Your nutritionist is not a very smart cookie.

Your BMR is your metabolic rate for the day. You then add your activity to this to get you TDEE. This all takes into account that YOU SLEEP and are less active at some points of the day. It's not like it expects you to be active all day and all night.

As long as you are in a deficit, you will lose weight. Period.
  • _FATNSASSY
    _FATNSASSY Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    nope, calories in Vs. calories out... nothing else
  • ClaudiaTheNice
    Options
    My nutritionist suggested to not eat after 8:00 pm since I’m less active at that time. She said whatever I take in will only store as fat. If I am hungry I’ll have an herbal tea, with some honey. That has worked for me thus far.

That's a load of bull... how on earth does your body know what time it is? Is your nutritionist suggesting that if I eat a cracker at 7:59pm that it will be processed properly, but, not if I eat that same cracker at 8:01? How would that be?

If you're interested... http://www.livestrong.com/article/454480-how-many-hours-before-bed-should-you-stop-eating-for-healthy-digestion/

No. They don't show their sources, so I'm calling it BS.
  • MsMaryMac48
    MsMaryMac48 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    No, I eat whenever I want... I'm a notorious nighttime snacker.

Being a notorious night time snacker is why I HAVE to limit myself to eating before 8pm. Otherwise I will graze all night long. If I know I can't (am not going to) eat after 8pm I make sure to eat something so that I am not ravenous and can hold over untiil the morning when I can eat breakfast.
  • CardiC333
    CardiC333 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hell no.:drinker:
  • MsMaryMac48
    MsMaryMac48 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    No, I eat whenever I want... I'm a notorious nighttime snacker.

Being a notorious night time snacker is why I HAVE to limit myself to eating before 8pm. Otherwise I will graze all night long. If I know I can't (am not going to) eat after 8pm I make sure to eat something so that I am not ravenous and can hold over untiil the morning when I can eat breakfast.

I guess I should also say that if I have been to the gym for a later work out and won't be going to bed until much later than normal then I would not hold myself to that 8pm time frame. More like I don't eat anything two hours before I go to bed, but I WILL drink a glass of almond milk. :)
  • Fiery_Vixen
    Fiery_Vixen Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I try to stop eating about 2 hours before I go to bed
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    Options
    In my opinion, you shouldn't have to get hungry to lose fat. If you're getting hungry after you go to bed then eat more during the day even if you don't feel hungry. Otherwise you might end up with insomnia and screwy hormones. There's no gremlins that will make you fat if you eat during a certain time of day or night. In my opinion it's the NOT eating when hungry that does the most damage.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I do because I don't like to go to bed with a very full stomach. I finish my dinner around 7:30PM, at the latest, and mydesert/snack is about 30 to 45 minutes later and nothing but water after that.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I practice IF (eating from noon to 10 pm) because I don't like eating in the morning, and I like to go to bed full. It doesn't matter. Do what works for you, because that's what you'll sustain.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I eat right up til bedtime. I'd eat IN bed, if it wasn't for the crumbs
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I stop when I go to sleep due to the inherent choking hazard and hatred of bed crumbs.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I eat at all times, and most of my calories are taken after 8pm in the evening. I do not tend to go to bed before 3am, so usually I am happily munching on a piece of fruit, nuts, some Greek yoghurt and a hard boiled egg at 2am.