Do you ever wonder, why bother?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Motivation is not the reason. Motivation is stupid and fake. It doesn't really exist, it's a ghost.

What is real is habit. Habit breeds excellence. The fit people are not motivated, but rather they have made exercise and diet their habit. It is practice, patience, and habit. Motivation has nothing to do with it.

Don't you need motivation for it to become a habit?

No. You need to make a conscious decision to change. That's it. Then, day by day, you do it.

I second this...you just make the decision that you're going to do it...next thing you know, it really just becomes a part of you. My fitness now is just a part of my day..just like driving to work is a part of my day...just like going into a Monday morning meeting is just a regular old part of Monday. Exercise isn't something extra...it's not a chore that I need to do on top of everything else...it's just me.

Same can be said for my nutrition...while I was losing I spent a lot of time not just trying to lose weight...but learning how to eat and to eat in a manner that was healthy and sustainable. I spent a lot of time researching nutrition to help me better understand that I didn't need to sit around eating celery sticks all day to lose weight...that I could actually eat really delicious and awesome food...but just in a more balanced way and in smaller amounts than I did before. I've carried that with me to maintenance and 9 months later, no problem whatsoever maintaining my weight, even without logging (though I am starting another small cut to drop a couple points so recently started logging again).

As they say...fake it until you make it.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

Motivation is not the reason. Motivation is stupid and fake. It doesn't really exist, it's a ghost.

What is real is habit. Habit breeds excellence. The fit people are not motivated, but rather they have made exercise and diet their habit. It is practice, patience, and habit. Motivation has nothing to do with it.

No. You need to make a conscious decision to change. That's it. Then, day by day, you do it.

I second this...you just make the decision that you're going to do it...next thing you know, it really just becomes a part of you. My fitness now is just a part of my day..just like driving to work is a part of my day...just like going into a Monday morning meeting is just a regular old part of Monday. Exercise isn't something extra...it's not a chore that I need to do on top of everything else...it's just me.

Same can be said for my nutrition...while I was losing I spent a lot of time not just trying to lose weight...but learning how to eat and to eat in a manner that was healthy and sustainable. I spent a lot of time researching nutrition to help me better understand that I didn't need to sit around eating celery sticks all day to lose weight...that I could actually eat really delicious and awesome food...but just in a more balanced way and in smaller amounts than I did before. I've carried that with me to maintenance and 9 months later, no problem whatsoever maintaining my weight, even without logging (though I am starting another small cut to drop a couple points so recently started logging again).

As they say...fake it until you make it.

All of the above...
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I was always really happy, no matter what weight I was, except I didn't like the way I looked in pictures. Now I do it for my health and I like shopping for clothes more. I also think the me in pictures reflect how I view myself on the inside. AND one more thing - people are much nicer to me, especially men are. It's weird. Really weird, since my hubby has always treated me like gold, which is why he is such a keeper and why my weight never mattered. I mean it's not like I was a leper before or anything, I thought I was attractive and nice and was noticed by the opposite sex, but there was all of a sudden a NOTICEABLE change. I never realized before that people REALLY DO treat you differently if they perceive you as attractive. It kind of pisses me off at times because I am not that type of person, but it IS a perk.
  • maQmIgh
    maQmIgh Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    IMO it is DEFINITELY worth it :)

I had been bullied as a child, and my last relationship was 20 years of "you cant do anything right" my weight was at an all time high and my confidence at an all time low :cry: .

I started dating my ex's mate and he tried his best to bring me out of my stuper (due to my confidence and weight, he failed, and actually made me feel even worse.... didnt think that was even possible) :sad:

I decided enough is enough and started the journey (last April or so) I was going to Florida in September for a holiday and didnt wanna feel like a beached whale :noway:

Went to florida.... looked pretty good in a bikini... and confidence went through the ceiling :bigsmile:

I havent looked back... Ive never had confindence before in my life.... NO ONE is ever gonna take it from me again :explode: .

Still got a little way to go.. But I know I will get there :blushing:

Height: 5 foot 5
    Starting Weight: 187lbs
    Current Weight: 145lbs
    Goal Weight (Approx): 135lbs (Subject to change, depending on how healthy I look) :love:

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • Aedriel
    Options
    Well, there's always science.

Risk levels for various health conditions increase exponentially as BMI increases beyond about 25-30.

For example, studies suggest that if you're obese, a 10-lb weight loss could reduce your risk of developing diabetes by ~50%.
    (one such study: http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/29/9/2102.full)

The results are similar when looking at heart disease risk, cancer, etc.
  • smashley_mashley
    smashley_mashley Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I used to think that way..it was the reason I never did anything about th40lbs I gained over 4 years. I started working in occupational disability management and had any eye opening moment. I had received a claim where a very obese woman tore her knee by going up the stairs. She didn't slip, trip or fall. The shift in body weight from putting one foot on the stair to place the other foot on the next stair caused her knee to shift and the bones to hit each other causing a bone contusion and a torn meniscus. I started to take notice of my surroundings.... some people I worked with who are extremely heavy would complain if we had to walk three blocks for a function (they would drive) or if they had to take the stairs. I have realized that I don't ever want to be in that position and made it a priority to go to the gym. I know crave the gym and exercise and get very cranky when I miss a workout.

Although I haven't lost weight, I haven't gained either and I know I have gained muscle as I can start to see it.... hope that helps
  • JoanneC1216
    Options
    Thank you for your support. I really feel as if I am going to have a great support team here :-)
  • FredSetToGetFit
    FredSetToGetFit Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Don't do it to be skinny. Do it to be healthy.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I 've been here one year exactly. Is it worth it--Hell yes!!! I feel great, look great, and when I do eat chocolate, or something I love I'm satisfied with less and it tastes so much better than before. I have no problem doing this for the rest of my life--I am not backtracking ever again. So buck up little buckeroo and get going. Time's a wasting.
  • Greytfish
    Options
    Beyond how you look, maintaining a good body composition will take excessive load off your joints, ease the way your body moves, and improve your organ and cardiopulmonary function. It will make it easier for your body to do its job.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I wouldn't say I put myself through "torture" I actually enjoy exercising more and eating healthy.
  • jzs20
    jzs20 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    a year ago I could hardly keep up with my 1 year old son's crawling...
    Nowadays were doing 10 mile+ bike rides and running around like crazy.

so when I get those days where a I question why bother ? I reminded everytime I see my son.
  • EatTrainWin
    EatTrainWin Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I created an account today and I picked a positive name and an inspirational photo but in reality I always wonder why I bother worrying about losing the weight. So lets say I drop my 40lbs, now what? Will I be happier? Will I really feel that much better? Will I think I look better? When I was younger and weighed 120, I thought I was fat back then!

Is it worth all the torture we put ourselves through? All the ups and downs of dieting, the guilt when we over eat, feeling hungry.... sorry to be so negative but I really think about these things.

I am shocked at how much my life has changed by "only" losing 28 pounds. I say only because my friends have lost much more than me. I'm healthier, happier, more confident, have more energy, etc. etc. etc. I am empowered to live the life of my dreams. There's no stopping me. I even changed careers after the weight loss.

I didn't put myself through any torture. I ate healthier and allowed myself to enjoy planned indulgences on the weekends. I didn't have any forbidden foods - everything could be consumed in moderation! I worked out regularly, sometimes more intense than other days. I focused on the goal and the prizes, many of which were unknown to me at the time.

Go for it!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. I'm new here, well, kinda.

I created an account today and I picked a positive name and an inspirational photo but in reality I always wonder why I bother worrying about losing the weight. So lets say I drop my 40lbs, now what? Will I be happier? Will I really feel that much better? Will I think I look better? When I was younger and weighed 120, I thought I was fat back then!

Is it worth all the torture we put ourselves through? All the ups and downs of dieting, the guilt when we over eat, feeling hungry.... sorry to be so negative but I really think about these things.

I would love to hear your responses, hopefully positive ones as I have been in such a slump for almost a year now. I wasn't always like this. Fitness was my life and very important to me at one time.

I would probably thinking of advising you, but then again why bother?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

I would love to hear your responses, hopefully positive ones as I have been in such a slump for almost a year now. I wasn't always like this. Fitness was my life and very important to me at one time.

Maybe you should just be quiet.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options

Does it look as if I am bothered?
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

No, you need discipline.
  • JoanneC1216
    Options

Thank you for sticking up for me. I don't let negative people get to me. He/she apparently has problems of their own.
  • JoanneC1216
    Options

No, you need discipline.

You're absolutely right! So basically force myself to exercise until it becomes a habit once again.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Thank you for sticking up for me. I don't let negative people get to me. He/she apparently has problems of their own.

You're very welcome. It's just not helpful when someone is just bitterly sarcastic for no reason. You obviously posted because you were looking for some inspiration, and I think you found some, so good for you!