5 lifestyle mistakes to STOP making

Options
1235»

Replies

• ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Then it's merely the definition of "unnecessary" we're discussing, I would suggest.

Many, many, many 'home' recipes use ingredients added for the colour.
    Colour is part of people's enjoyment of food.
    As a customer, I'd certainly prefer my food not to go off :). More, I'd prefer to pay less than for food which only have a short shelf life.
    (It's ironic that a lot of people go for 'fresh' food over frozen, when often the fresh was previously frozen anyway, but then has a much shorter shelf life.)

But, still, we get to WHY not to eat specific substances and if we can have a definition of the ones not to eat.

I'm with you. For instance, I never buy "previously frozen" fish - if it's not fresh, I'm happy to just stick with flash frozen. That said, the best result IMO is if you can find fresh food that is naturally an appealing color, as opposed to food that is dyed an appealing color.

As for the reason why, I don't think there's conclusive proof out there that preservatives, dyes and the like are harmful - you would hope that they'd stop selling them if such proof was actually out there. Where finances permit, I think a lot of people just rely on their gut feeling that something locally grown without pesticides and picked fresh is less likely to have any unexpected side-effects.
    "Organic" does not mean it was grown without pesticides. It means they used "organic" pesticides, like copper sulphate.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Where finances permit, I think a lot of people just rely on their gut feeling that something locally grown without pesticides and picked fresh is less likely to have any unexpected side-effects.
    I agree, that does seem to be the problem.

Unfortunately people aren't really that good on choosing the correct organ to make logical choices with :P.

Of course, one of the reasons we have so much of these 'chemicals' (sic) that people don't like is that in years past local 'organic' produce was of such variable quality that you were pretty likely to get end up with all sorts of problems with your food.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Make a habit of skipping breakfast and you won't have to count calories.

There is a psychological aspect to how we react to the perception of an empty stomach. Some shrug it off and go about their business, others get anxious and sit down to eat immediately- over time resulting in obesity.

This is learned behavior and can be changed, or unlearned.

Read the freebie first 20 pages online in the Kindle book "Breakfast: The Least Important Meal of the Day" by Dr. John Hagan.

Steve - are you just a broken record spamming machine? All you post is "skip breakfast" and "read this book"..I hope you are getting commission for this...although, I doubt you are, as I suspect no one is buying this book..

In a bad mood today?

Maybe you ate something bad for breakfast. Looks like you are ripping on all the common-sense posts.

I love how people with absolutely no common sense and little sense of reality talk about common sense.

what is that old saying.ignorance is bliss..?

Of course, if that were true these boards would be the happiest place on earth . . . stick it Disney!

I am going to start my own theme park and call it "IgnoramusLand - Where Ignorance Leads to Bliss"
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Where finances permit, I think a lot of people just rely on their gut feeling that something locally grown without pesticides and picked fresh is less likely to have any unexpected side-effects.
    I agree, that does seem to be the problem.

Unfortunately people aren't really that good on choosing the correct organ to make logical choices with :P.

Of course, one of the reasons we have so much of these 'chemicals' (sic) that people don't like is that in years past local 'organic' produce was of such variable quality that you were pretty likely to get end up with all sorts of problems with your food.

sad part is that most organic foods/vegetables/etc have added chemicals...
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Define crap?

I have seen diaries where people are eating nothing but sugar in the form of chocolate, ice cream, biscuits, sweets and fizzy drinks, and I'm talking daily, not the occasional bad day. No veg, no grains, no whole foods period, and dairy in the form of ice cream. Of course they're gonna loose weight if they're under their calorie goal. But surely that's not the whole point of any of us being here, and it's just not healthy. This horse ain't that high.
    What's their blood pressure, cholesterol levels, blood sugar, etc levels?

You want to talk healthy, right?

i eat all of the above. my health markers are pretty baller. srs.
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I get horrible sleep and do a lot of tv time.. but I am doing ok with the others and still losing! Great thoughts. Thanks for sharing.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Counting calories might work for people to regain control of portion size, bit imo it's not the answer long term. You need to think about nutrition too and not get tied to some arbitrary number. I see so many diaries on here where they are under their calorie 'budget' and celebrating this fact, but they're eating absolute crap.
    I eat crap while washing my clothes......................on my abz