Options
    roll in bacon
    brush with bbq sauce
    grill

thank me later.
  • CMoeDee
    CMoeDee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    found frozen ones in asda for £2 :) boiled them for 30 mins... the taste was ok but they were stringy? :sick: have i boiled them for too long? they were un chew-able, yuk!

Way too long. They need like ten minutes, tops. I like them steamed with olive oil, lemon, parmesan, and pepper.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    found frozen ones in asda for £2 :) boiled them for 30 mins... the taste was ok but they were stringy? :sick: have i boiled them for too long? they were un chew-able, yuk!

I only buy fresh asparagus. I snap off the woody parts( this is easy, where the asparagus will snap off, is the right spot). If I have thick and thin stalks mixed, I separate them according to size. I boil the thicker stalks first adding the thinner and then at the end--the tips. I do not like over-cooked asparagus so 30 mins is way too long. I eat mine with olive oil and a little salt.
  • ddslowly
    ddslowly Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    seriously?! i'm the only person here who hates asparagus? it's vile! bitter and...asparagussy. it really only tastes like itself. though i guess it's sort similar to brussles sprouts (which i also despise)
    it's one of the few foods i absolutely refuse to eat. those buddy tips make my stomach turn and the stalks are no better. just thinking about it makes me pull a face. i've tried it every way imaginable and, yes, i've given it a shot since i was a kid. i just flat out can't stomach the stuff.
    I HATE ASPARAGUS!
    there. i said it and i feel better.
  • DirtyCurvesAhead
    Options
    Yes you cooked them too long! Just a quick sautéed (2-4min) or blanch them.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    makes your pee smell but is super yummy.

Pineapple is your friend.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    It makes your pee stink, but I love asparagus. My alltime favorite is having asparagus wrapped in prosciutto. There are many ways to make it.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    When I think of it, I like it! Lol seriously, you have to buy in season (spring I believe). Buy small in diameter stalks, and you have to break off the ends. Bend and they will break on their own (the ends are generally woody). Steam and serve with butter and salt....yum!

EDIT: only some peoples' pee stinks!
  • sslopez24
    sslopez24 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I don't really care for them but my husband rubs olive oil, minced garlic, little salt and puts them on the grill. they actually taste pretty good.

Your pee will smell because of them.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    yum, super good grilled on the bbq
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I love it! Like another poster said, it does make your urine smell funny but it's just odd, not bad. I toss mine with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, minced garlic and lemon juice and bake it until the edges get crispy. Yum!
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Asparagus can be tasty! If you grill it with some extra virgin olive oil and add a sprinkle of black pepper, then either serve with parma ham or with a poached egg on top! LOVELY!!!

Yup. EVOO and sea salt for me. Wrap in foil and grill. Yummy!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Asparagus can be tasty! If you grill it with some extra virgin olive oil and add a sprinkle of black pepper, then either serve with parma ham or with a poached egg on top! LOVELY!!!

Yup. EVOO and sea salt for me. Wrap in foil and grill. Yummy!
    Foil foils it. :bigsmile:
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person who can eat asparagus without it affecting their pee? I have literally never had this problem, and I eat asparagus 2-4 times a week.

im thinking our asparagus pee = your normal pee. might wanna get that checked out.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I love it! Really really love it! If you are worried, steam or roast them really really well, and if the seem really wide or light at the end, cut it off as it can be a bit chewy and bitter. Really tender asparagus, a sort of rich flavour, I would say they taste more savory than other veggies, though have a distinct "green" flavour. Uh,mmmmmmm, I wish I had about a thousand asparagus right here now!

This, and I love French (white asparagus) C'est magnifique.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    seriously?! i'm the only person here who hates asparagus? it's vile! bitter and...asparagussy. it really only tastes like itself. though i guess it's sort similar to brussles sprouts (which i also despise)
    it's one of the few foods i absolutely refuse to eat. those buddy tips make my stomach turn and the stalks are no better. just thinking about it makes me pull a face. i've tried it every way imaginable and, yes, i've given it a shot since i was a kid. i just flat out can't stomach the stuff.
    I HATE ASPARAGUS!
    there. i said it and i feel better.

I feels ya, bro. I hate it too and I can't believe we're such a minority. And I actually kind of like Brussels Sprouts. Such is my hatred for Asparagus.

My wife roasts it with olive oil, kosher salt, and parmesan and says it tastes like candy. But that's the kind of lie you tell children to get them to eat vegetables. I eat it when she makes it, but will avoid in all other circumstances.
  • fittyinthemaking
    fittyinthemaking Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    roll in bacon
    brush with bbq sauce
    grill

thank me later.

yummy, sounds delicious :love: