Anyone participating in Lent this year?

Options
1235»

Replies

• outlawchef1
    Options
    Yes I am. However I don't always give something up. Sometimes I try to do something to improve attitude. Smile more, listen more and praise more.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I usually do something positive for Lent, like spend more time meditating or doing devotional reading. I'm an Episcopalian, and we tend to enjoy the good things in life, rather than give up for the sake of giving up. In the past, when I have given things up, there has been a give back component, for instance, giving up shopping for pleasure and then giving extra money to charity. Also, if I give up eating something unhealthy, then aren't I just giving up something I shouldn't be having anyway, so who am I doing it for, me or God?

Every year one of the places I contribute to sends a book of Lenten daily practices, and it does suggest fasting for all or part of certain days. I might try giving up the evening meal on those days. I can't not eat during the day; I teach and start my day as early as 6:00 AM, and I just can't go without food or I'd be dead on my feet.
  • Katia_Quesadilla
    Katia_Quesadilla Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I made a spur-of-the-moment decision to give up chocolate, all sweets, and the snooze button for Lent. Somebody SOMEWHERE had better be praying :D

In all seriousness, this is probably also going to result in more fitness time in general--both physical and spiritual--as I tend to waste a lot of time hitting the snooze button in the morning and snacking in the evening.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I am old-calendar Greek Orthodox, and Great Lent is a very serious fast for us--no meat, fish, eggs or dairy from March 1 ("Clean Monday") till Easter ("Pascha"'). It's quite a challenge--mostly a Vegan diet, though shellfish are allowed. I've been doing it (more or less) for years--I always found it an interesting cooking challenge. I used to lose weight during Lent (usually about 5-7 pounds) till I stopped taking it seriously & started ignoring the restrictions on wine & olive oil (allowed only on weekends). This year I am going to try to really keep the fast, and I'd also like to try giving up wine entirely, with the intent of eating this healthy diet and getting free of the alcohol calories while I'm at it. I need to quit drinking, so I will use Lent as a kick-start.

Of course we are supposed to fast from other stuff, too--judgemental thoughts, laziness, unkindness, self-indulgence, etc. We'll see how it goes.

I'm Antiochian and I understand. We are vegan about 40% of the year. Lord have mercy!
  • Jenlgarcia
    Jenlgarcia Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Giving up ice cream and substituting for sorbet/frozen yogurt
  • Panthers89
    Panthers89 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    3 years ago my mother called me and complained about my not giving up anything for Lent in years (I was 43 at the time). I had just finished walking on the treadmill at the hotel where I was staying overnight for business, and my mother's phone call left me brooding. I told myself "I'll show her...I'll give up 3 things...pizza, hoagies, and cheese".

Over the 6+ weeks of Lent, I lost nearly 10 pounds by just avoiding these foods. After Easter concluded, I decided it was time to give a weight loss and exercise regimen a legitimate shot. Over the period of the next 15 months, I lost an additional 55 pounds.

I have gained some of this weight back, but never stopped exercising or logging on MFP. I am as good as shape at age 45 (46 next month) as I when I was in my 20s. I've currently logged on MFP over 1000 consecutive days, and I still thank my Mom for getting on my case that particular Fat Tuesday (no pun intended) in 2011. Ironically, she didn't give anything up herself for Lent in 2011 - lol.

In conclusion, I have already started my first food as of this past Saturday - no Pizza until after April 20. I am going to also give up the hoagies, as I had done in 2011. I'm trying to increase my daily protein number so I will be eating some cheese. In addition, the monster fish sandwiches in Pittsburgh and western PA during Lent are something I look forward to each season.

Good luck everybody!!! :happy:
  • tristaj90
    tristaj90 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I AM Catholic and will be participating. No meat on fridays (not like I ever eat meat really anyway!) but I plan to give up chocolate and then on Ash Wednesday, Good Friday, and every Sunday I'm not going to log in on Facebook. Going a full day without checking it will be hard, so it definitely is a sacrifice. lol.
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I take Lent very seriously and at the same time I hope to lose some weight. Last year I gave up pork and beef and lost a lot of weight. In fact I still dont eat beef or pork. I discovered MFP around the lenten season and lost even more weight by counting calories. Tomorrow is the first day of lent and I will participating!!!!
  • rosebette
    Options
    I went to Ash Wednesday service last night, and the minister gave a good sermon about the purpose of sacrifice for Lent. It was funny and inspirational, as she described giving up the usual things over the years -- coffee, chocolate, etc. One year she decided to give up cheese, at which point a friend said "Lent isn't just a diet for Jesus." What she meant is that Lent is a time of giving up things that keep us from getting closer to God. I can see that, since it's meant more give up materialism (consuming for fun) or watching too much TV when I could be reading a book, meditating, etc. That's why I don't typically give up food items because my question is who am I doing it for -- me or God?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,081 Member
    Options
    Yes I understand what you are saying Rose - which is why I also do Lenten studies which could be seen as adding something rather than giving up something - or could be seen as giving up some spare time.

I do also give up chocolate - I don't see chocolate itself as a spiritual thing that keeps me from God but I do see the spiritual benefits of excercising self control and of focussing on the luxuries like this That I have in my privileged first world life and learning to appreciate them and not take them for granted.
  • fallingtrees
    fallingtrees Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I've been pondering the whole idea of giving up foods for Lent, with the hopes of losing a few pounds, and wondering how exactly this is spiritually relevant.

I mean, if I announce, "I'm going to give up Cheetos," or, "No thanks, I've given up beer for Lent," do I not become one of the hypocrites Jesus so eloquently teased?

However...

This body is a generous gift from the Creator. (A bit over-generous, by a few pounds.) Perhaps, out of gratitude, I should take better care of it.

To that end, I have put away the scales, put away the diet diary, and am concentrating on intentional eating, and intentional exercise. Perhaps tuning in to my body will help me tune in to my spirit.
  • rosebette
    Options
    Amen.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am renewing some volunteer work.
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,463 Member
    Options
    I am a vocalist and soloist in the choir at our parish. I will abstain and fast when necessary. Holy week I will not as I have to sing in so many masses that I need all the energy I can get.
  • DiamondRubyMom
    DiamondRubyMom Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I was raised Catholic and now a Lutheran. I'm giving up an hour of TV at night, and praying the Litany and reading my Luther's Small Catechism instead. I agree with previous posts about there being no Easter without Lent. Lent is a somber time to reflect on the cost of sin, the death of God's Son Jesus. Knowing that the Law of God condemns all rightly to death, makes Easter joyous. It drives the believe to look to the cross and see, I should be there instead of Him. Because of Him, I will know eternal joy instead.