Running: Treadmills or Outdoors?

Options

Replies

• JMel86
    JMel86 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    OUTDOORS! I cannot wait for the time change. I hate that it gets dark so early. I love running outside. The last few weeks I have been on dreadmill. I want to spring to be here already!

Edit; I jogged in the rain last night. It was so refreshing. It was my run home from the gym :)
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Outdoors. Ice is just about the only thing that will send me to the treadmill. Cold, hot, rainy, snowy ==> bring it on!
  • oneloopygirl
    oneloopygirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I love running outdoors, but most of my running is on the treadmill due to work schedules, kids, etc. However, when I can get in an outdoor run, I will.
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Outdoors for sure! For some reason, longer than a few miles on the treadmill will result in a migraine. I don't know what it is. If the weather prevents me from running outside (safety concerns when the roads are icy) I will cycle on the trainer in my basement.
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I much prefer running outside. Things to look at, sunshine on your skin, breeze on your face. Unfortunately we live somewhere that has nowhere to safely run outside so I am stuck with the treadmill for now. :(
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    *IN* for the minority... treadmill. However, I have ZERO issues with people doing either. Do what works for you.

FYI: Long treadmill sessions work for me because of my "deskmill". Being productive while getting cardio = WIN-MF-WIN!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1169169-wtf-is-a-deskmill-pic-heavy?hl=deskmill
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Outdoors. I have a gym in my building and change there and bolt out the door, shower, and come back to my desk. I applaud anyone who is on their feet running, but treadmills just aren't for me.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I like both. I tend to run after I get home from work so in the winter, I use the treadmill all the time. During the summer, I run outdoors as much as possible.
  • amandakev88
    amandakev88 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    treadmill is easier on the feet and shins, for me,than the concrete, or even grass, outside. i get some pretty hardcore shin splints.
  • girlinteepee
    girlinteepee Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Treadmill in the winter and outdoors in the summer :) Nothing beats the warm sunshine on your face with a cool breeze
  • Ribena145
    Ribena145 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Outside....to me stuck inside on a machine is boring....
  • shira324
    shira324 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I prefer the treadmill because I love the numbers, I think it's easier to challenge myself with cold, hard data. Knowing that I can knock 15 seconds off my mile each week is awesome.

Also, I've watched WAY too much CSI, Law & Order, etc. to run outside consistently. The jogger always finds a dead body or becomes a dead body. I'm just sayin . . .
  • rdeysher
    Options
    I'm one of the people who actually LOVE the treadmill...LOVE IT.

But when the weather is nice, I will be outside..

I actually love the treadmill too but I will go outside when it is nice out because running outside seems like it works my muscles differently due to the uneven surfaces and hills, etc.
  • GeminiFitness1
    GeminiFitness1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I prefer running on a treadmill indoors. I say this because I have allergies and it is more comfortable inside weather wise. Also because it is a slightly softer surface on knees than outside running on pavement.
  • gitnfit2
    gitnfit2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I prefer to run outside when at all possible but when it is not an option then I will use a treadmill.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I prefer a treadmill at a gym. You don't have to worry about the weather or dangerous areas. You can stop whenever you want to and go home right away. You don't have to run or walk back home. You can distract yourself with not just music, but TV. The treadmill feels a lot better on my knees than concrete.
  • IvanCasillas
    IvanCasillas Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Outdoors is the only way to go unless its winter in Chicago. How could you pass up on nature and all it has to offer? Its so much more therapeutic to be outside.
  • jirocpa
    jirocpa Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I run out doors because I'm not a hamster

Rude

Yes, rude. I use my treadmill in the summer because it can be 123˚ here. Come on over. I want to see you run outside in that.

I agree, it's always "weather permitting" and that in itself is a subjective term depending on who you are.

Speaking of crazy people running in the hot desert, ever see that youtube video of the guy who ran a mile in full Darth Vader costume (helmet too!) in the middle of the 120+ degree desert? Insane.
  • wyndielund
    Options
    tread mill 4 miles a day i am a hamster
    I am a total hamster. Being on a treadmill holds me accountable to actually get to my desired mileage and speed I should be on pace with. Running outside I am to apt to stop and smell the roses before I have reached my goal.
  • wyndielund
    Options
    I prefer a treadmill at a gym. You don't have to worry about the weather or dangerous areas. You can stop whenever you want to and go home right away. You don't have to run or walk back home. You can distract yourself with not just music, but TV. The treadmill feels a lot better on my knees than concrete.

Speaking of dangerous areas, your less likely to roll an ankle on a treadmill than concrete because of the loose gravel all over. Oh and shin splints!! OUCH!!