Call to All Females- Please Listen.

Options
This week is National Eating Disorders Awareness Week. This is something that is extremely close to me, as I struggled for years with self image, self esteem, body issues, and eventually an eating disorder.

The statistics for eating disorders in the US and other developed countries are growing rapidly each year. And unfortunately, the age is getting lower and lower. Girls as young as 6, 7 years old are starting to become aware of what "fat" is, what they look like, how their hair is, etc.

While eating disorders do reach to males as well, I want to address the females on MFP. If you are a mother, aunt, grandmother, sister, babysitter, camp counselor, teacher, or any role model of any kind for young girls, please think about your actions around them. YOU are able to set an example of what healthy is, and what being CONFIDENT in yourself looks like. Your daughter will not notice if you have love handles. Young girls do not care what cellulite is. They don't notice that your roots are growing out. What they will notice, however, is you lifting up your shirt and pinching your skin while looking in the mirror, criticizing the extra bit of fat around your stomach. They will hear you complain about how your thighs are gigantic and how you think you're ugly. They'll hear you refuse compliments or make comments about other women who are skinnier than you, or how your husband must miss the "skinny" version of you he married. They'll see you skip dinner or get a side salad with no dressing for your only meal of the day.

Believe me, because I was that young girl. I watched my mom skip meals and eat little calories to keep her slim figure. I listened to her complain about her cellulite and refuse to wear a bathing suit without shorts attached because she hated her legs. As I grew, she scrutinized my body as well. My mom loved me and she was an amazing, giving, selfless person; but some of the things she did and said had a lasting affect on me, even though she didn't know it.

I went through a period of my life where I ate fewer than 500 calories a day and worked out for about 2.5 hours a day. And I would cry, thinking about how I'd never be able to change my lifestyle and eventually I'd affect my daughter the same way my mom affected me. Over many years and many trials, I have finally found my confidence again. I am strong, I am healthy, and I am working hard to fight ED with other girls as well.

You have the chance to show what being healthy, confident, and beautiful just the way you are REALLY means. Please, take the time to think about how you can affect the young girls in your life. We can change these statistics.

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Very well said.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    :heart: beautifully said
  • Jett_05
    Jett_05 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    (((<3))). One thing that should also be pointed out (especially regarding this title) is that eating disorders also effect men and for those men who don't suffer from eating disorders directly, its still important that they understand the severity of these illnesses and feel supported as they support loved ones.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Bump for my FL.
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: well said
  • skyekeeper
    skyekeeper Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Well said!
    Bump
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Couldn't agree more!! We need to empower the young ladies around us and start changing the unhealthy patterns that have been around for so long.
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Yes to all of this. Well said. :heart: :flowerforyou:

NOT trying to toot my own horn here at all but I actually just blogged about this very issue, and included a crap ton of links to empowering women speaking out against body hate. If anyone is interested the link is http://mrsmawesome.wordpress.com/2014/02/22/feminist-self-esteem-rantings/
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    Options
    This strikes home for me too. I was anorexic for 11 years. Now i have four amazing nieces and i strive to be the best influence on them that i can.

My 11 year old niece was wearing mascara the other day because, "her eyelashes are too thin." And she wanted to diet because shes "fat". Now, this kid climbs trees like she gets paid to do it and is barely a 00. Athletic doesmt quite sum it up. I told her she doesnt need makeup but if she enjoyed wearing it and had permission then she did a great job putting it on. I also held up my leg against hers and asked, "am i fat?" "NO NO NO! YOURE BEAUTIFUL!" "Then how can you br fat when youre so much smaller than me?"

The girls are 5, 11, 12, and 14 and i hear them talk "fat" and it breaks my heart. The awesome news is they work out with me a lot because its fun. They know exercise=health.
  • Crateria_
    Crateria_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

Thank you, wonderful post.
  • JenRunTriHappyGirl
    JenRunTriHappyGirl Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :heart: Thank you.
  • lightmouse
    lightmouse Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Beautifully put. I have struggled with food since I was 12 and decided my stomach was fat. I have obsessed about it every day since, and I am 29 now. It is only in the last few months that I have managed to banish a few demons and take care of my body properly, but it is still a struggle sometimes to eat as much as I know I need to to keep the muscle I've managed to build. If i am ever lucky enough to have children I hope that I will stop worrying so much, but I do get scared sometimes that I am always going to have this bizarre love/hate relationship with food.
  • goredguar
    goredguar Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    <3 This is such a nice post. As someone who's suffered an ED in the past, your words ring truth.

Hopefully some people will listen to your words of wisdom. Even if it's just one person it'll be worth it - thanks for posting this :)
  • in4nomz
    in4nomz Posts: 230
    Options
    Being someone who has also struggled with with body image as well as eating disorders for many years, I appreciate something like this being posted. So well said girl! :flowerforyou:
  • love2lift_85
    love2lift_85 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Great post, thanks for this. I have an 8-mo old daughter, I very much want her to see herself as beautiful no matter what!
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    This is a wonderful post! :flowerforyou: I, too, have struggled with and ED for years and I have the poorest body image of anyone you've ever met. This weekend, for the first time in 28 years, I bought and wore a bathing suit. I've thought of covering my mirrors with black crepe so I wouldn't have to look at myself.

I didn't know Eating Disorder Week even existed, but I'm glad it does.

It does, however, bring on a small dilemma - how is it celebrated? I'm guessing NOT with cake.

Maybe:

AHnX12Rs.jpg