Excellent post!
  • topazora
    topazora Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Cheers! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • bcarman86
    bcarman86 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Well said! I never made the connection between my mother's self-image and my own. It makes complete sense..
  • JoanneC1216
    Options
    Very nice.

That is one of the worst things a mother could do to her child.
  • arenad
    arenad Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Well said!!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Love this. Like many have said, sometimes the smallest comments can have such a big impact. Luckily, I never struggled with an eating disorder, but have certainly struggled with body image since as far back as I can remember.

My best friend growing up was very naturally thin. I was thin too, but have a more athletic frame. My mom would always comment on how my friend was just so so skinny. In my 8 year old mind, skinny was good! I didn't know why my mom didn't think I was skinny too. I understand now what she meant, but even just those offhand remarks made me question my body and feel inferior. It's always good to remember how impressionable young people are and how they soak up more than we often realize!
  • Missysjbee
    Missysjbee Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Love this post. Thank you
    Sx
  • rosettafaery
    rosettafaery Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Great post! :smile:
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart: It's not something to be taken lightly! There is a difference between "bad habits" and an eating disorder!!! My mom too had an eating disorder - I never saw the woman eat anything other than fish, chicken and salad, all the meanwhile cooking fabulous dinners and baked goods for hours on end -- and making us drink a HUGE glass of water before dinner so we didn't eat too much, but them we better eat everything on our plates...:huh:

I became food OBSESSED and had a total compulsive eating disorder, while my younger sister became bulemic.

Mental eating disorders need HELP - it's not a simple matter of "eat this, not that" or "will-power" -- but the good news is that they can be overcome! Thanks for posting!!! :flowerforyou:
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Beautifully said <3
  • desireecl
    desireecl Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    thank you for spreading this message. my first 'diet' was when I was 11...I hit puberty in 5th grade, had to start wearing a bra before many of my peers, and started my period the summer btwn 5th and 6th. up until puberty, I had been what my pediatrician called a 'slenderweight', not underweight, but at the lower end of normal. in 6th grade, i was wearing a juniors size 5. I was bullied already for everything under the sun and I hated my changing body so I did the only thing I knew to try to exert some control and so began my lifelong struggle with self-acceptance. even in kindergarten, there was a certain dress I wouldn't wear b/c it made me look fat. ridiculous.
  • cnl91_W
    cnl91_W Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :heart:
    Thanks for this! This hits home to SO many women, young and old. It's a really important message.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    I have had problems with food my entire life and still doo

trying really hard to fix it right now & its so damn hard & scary

nice post op
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    <3<3<3
  • LB30
    LB30 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Great post on a very important topic.

I found out my 11 yr old was skipping meals for a time because (she said) someone told her she was fat. As a swimmer, she's spends 4 nights/wk, 6 mo./year in the pool, and is pretty active in the off season. It scared me to death.
  • california_haley
    california_haley Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    <3
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    It's really hard when you have kids. My 7-year-old daughter is NOT fat. But she is apparently "bigger" or "wider" than most of the girls her height (or at least it seems so due to the way jeans fit her). We had to try on many different brands of jeans before finding some that fit and weren't terribly long. Her younger sister is the opposite. It's a struggle. The older one doesn't seem upset over her size and I hope she isn't and doesn't become so.
  • KimberDG9966
    KimberDG9966 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this.

My daughter is 8 and very aware of everything I say or do. I'm trying to phrase all of my weight loss efforts as an attempt to be healthier and not as an attempt to be be skinnier (not that my body has ever seen skinny!) We talk about making good food choices, being active and how it's better to be fit than skinny.