What a Dove REAL MEN Campaign would look like

Options

Replies

• zzonked
    zzonked Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    UPlus, if not for male models, I don't think nearly as many men would try so damn hard to look like them in the first place.

Is that necessarily a bad thing? Would the world really be a better place where there was no competition to look good and everyone felt complacent all the time? I'm not so sure. I personally like the motivation, it sets the bar high.
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Anyone who believes that men aren't affected by that stuff is delusional. Men are sorted and ranked by physical attributes beginning in preschool. Every day for a young boy is a constant measuring of oneself. The difference is that we are not taught to think about it. We're taught to not question it. To shut up and accept it. If you don't like where you're ranked, fight for it. Otherwise just shut up and keep your head down.

He. He he. "...constant measuring of oneself."

Totally what I was thinking!!:wink::laugh:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Anyone who believes that men aren't affected by that stuff is delusional. Men are sorted and ranked by physical attributes beginning in preschool. Every day for a young boy is a constant measuring of oneself. The difference is that we are not taught to think about it. We're taught to not question it. To shut up and accept it. If you don't like where you're ranked, fight for it. Otherwise just shut up and keep your head down.
    People are also 'ranked' by intelligence. Should we also avoid anything that portrays anyone as highly intelligent because it's harmful to average and stupid people?
  • PhoenixStrikes
    PhoenixStrikes Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    They're all hot. :love:
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    People are also 'ranked' by intelligence. Should we also avoid anything that portrays anyone as highly intelligent because it's harmful to average and stupid people?

definitely not what he's sayin' brah
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Unrealistic, idealized views of female AND male bodies is detrimental to society, imho. While not everyone is affected the same way...
    It has no effect on me. Neither will calling me "delusional". Society does not come into play when it comes to my self image.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

definitely not what he's sayin' brah

Striving to improve ourselves is a good thing. I think that is what he was saying and I agree. As for the differences in messages, the impact on men and women does seem to be different, and perhaps that is because men are more likely to tie their body images to sports performance. Think about how many men even notice male models vs. how many men watch and/or play football. I could be wrong, and I can't believe I'm getting serious in this thread, but this belief is a large part of why my wife and I focus a good bit of our time with our daughters on athletics. That gives them something to physically strive for that isn't tied solely to what they see in the mirror, though it should have a positive impact there too.
  • VelociRachel315
    Options
    Scruffy lumberjack men? I will allow that.
  • BurnBabyyyBurn
    Options
    Yeah...I need some pot bellies going on. Manorexia is popular for the same reason as anorexia is for women. I like my men muscley, but I also like for them to look like they like to eat...thats just me though

Agreed! This new fad of skinny jean wearing men who look skinnier than my left thigh is highly unappealing.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I actually think the lot of them are attractive, but my personal favourite is the chap in the very first panel. I'm kind of a sucker for guys in glasses too, so the third "real" model is definitely a heart throb for me too!

On the one hand, I love that Dove is broadcasting the message that creating, and upholding idealized, often unattainable standards of beauty is only sort of soul-crushing to those of us who don't (or, at least, THINK we don't) meet them. On the other hand, I am so very skeptical. Oh, so skeptical. In the end, after all, they are trying to SELL ALL TEH SOAP!

At the very least, I'm glad that, in this instance, advertising is moving away from fear mongering and towards more positive messages about self image.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of a sucker for guys in glasses too, so the third "real" model is definitely a heart throb for me too!

Sorry, that's all I could focus on lol.
    This.
    -wears glasses too- lol
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I like the beard on baldy. Yes, jealous.
    *goes off to pout*
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I'd bang em all

from the way you carry on, we assume there isn't anyone you wouldn't

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    This is actually pretty good to hear. I am around 20-something amateur and a few pro MMA fighters several times a week at my Brazilian Jiu Jitsu place, and I was beginning to feel bad that I don't have a 6-pack all the time. I know, very 'First World Problems', but for someone who never used to care all that much, this does help me re-calibrate just a bit.

Oh, and I am now even more happy to be a beardy/baldy!
  • hadapurpura
    Options
    The guy with glasses can get it.
  • JamesRustler
    JamesRustler Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Women have Barbie, men have He-Man. The difference between how we deal with these "ideal" body types is simple: men aren't bat $#!t insane.

There's a huge difference here.

When men see an ideal male, they aspire to be like him. When a woman see an ideal woman, she makes a tumblr about how that ideal is not real, or not what men want, or a crazy obsessed person who hates themselves. (see fat acceptance movement)

Men climb to reach the mountain top. Women complain that there is a mountain top and declare wherever they are to be the new mountain top.
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Personally the body of the top left one has me drooling....his model counterpart not so much.

My thoughts exactly :drinker:

Yes! Looks like a viking. Meow!

If I looked like him, I would be very happy indeed!!
  • ImpishVanity
    ImpishVanity Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Love it.

@ JamesRustler - I can agree with you to a certain extent. Except I am a woman climbing for the mountain top. I think a lot of the problem is that women are raised to believe that only men can reach the top. Women are degraded and put down a lot in our society, portrayed as weak and inferior to men. So yes, men will go for the goals and women will feel helpless and like the goals are unreachable. A lot of our challenge is realizing our own strength and pushing through all of the crap that gets dumped on us daily.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Women have Barbie, men have He-Man. The difference between how we deal with these "ideal" body types is simple: men aren't bat $#!t insane.

There's a huge difference here.

When men see an ideal male, they aspire to be like him. When a woman see an ideal woman, she makes a tumblr about how that ideal is not real, or not what men want, or a crazy obsessed person who hates themselves. (see fat acceptance movement)

Men climb to reach the mountain top. Women complain that there is a mountain top and declare wherever they are to be the new mountain top.
    16e5f83adb333b4ff7bc48859dff41f2192460b8fb284236dcf04342af75a70e.jpg

I'm so glad you're here to mansplain how, because I refuse to shame someone based upon their physical appearance, I must be without any ambitions or goals. All this time, I just thought I was being a decent human being.