I wanna cry, I been going 2 weeks and nothing!!!

Options

Replies

• pinkacidtrip
    Options
    If you have lost weight via cutting calories drastically (i.e. when you were anorexic) then you will probably have lost a great deal of muscle and retained the subcutaneous fat which you now see as 'muffin' and 'pouch'. To look better, don't try and lose more the same way as you will again target your muscles (not fat).

As others have said, eat at least your BMR (what you need to maintain your organs etc BEFORE exercise), lift weights/ do strengthtraining and your muscles will tone up your body and any 'fat' you think you see will be smoothed out by the strengthened muscle ....

Thank u. Thank you all for the support!
  • sherrycrownover
    Options
    Get rid of sugars and cut way down on carbs. Hidden sugars are in everthing so read labels and try to stay at about 16 grams per day and 60 carbs a day. I do a real low carb day of about 25-30 carbs then next day I go up to 100. Then start over. Real successful.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    The bearded guy is totally right. Excellent work, bearded guy.

Don't listen to the "I have no sympathy for you, you're already thin" haters. Your body, your choice. You know when you're toned and when you're not. Those people suck. Yes, I'm talking to you, haters. This girl is here asking for support and all you do is give her worthless venting? Puh-leese. Bitter much?

Main thing I have to add, which you probably won't like, but here goes: "two weeks and nothing"? More like: two weeks IS nothing.

Long haul. Stay the course. Eyes on the prize. I've been here two years and I still have things to learn. Stick with it, and above all, maximize accuracy and honesty in your calorie tracking in every way possible. When in doubt, the answer to the question "this doesn't count, does it?" is "yes it does."

It's not a quick fix. It's an in-depth learning process. You didn't finish college in two weeks, did you?

Thank u so much I am trying to make my body better i should be able to just because im not 300 pounds...that's why I hate posting because people will vent at me about how I'm thin. I get that but I want to tone.

I think that most people are just trying to tell you that at your current weight you don't need to lose weight in order to tone your body...you need to workout with some type or resistance training. Just losing weight won't tone your body.
  • Tangosgrandad
    Tangosgrandad Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I actually did specifically say I wanted to tone...
    "I been going 2 weeks and I haven't lost any weight!!!!! I ate pretty much how I wanted and didn't gain weight and now I'm restricting and working out and nothing! I linger at 132 and I'm sick of it I want to be 125 and toned. I'm considered not fat but I'm flabby And have a fat pouch on my stomach!! It's always nice to tone! Help I usually ate 1200 a day normally before I started this thing, so should I go to 1000??? "

So I do not deserve people's comment on weight. I ate like crap before and I already feel better since I've switched to vegetarian and only humane certified meat. Salads instead of candy. It's nice.
    [/quote]

Listen up young'un. There isn't anything wrong with wanting to be a bit more toned. Realise though, that being more toned will involve you gaining more muscle. Muscle weighs more than the equivalent volume of fat and will mean that you will gain weight, not lose it. Your body will look and feel better toned, than not toned.
    Now (and this is important)...... you have to feed muscle to build it. Cutting your current intake will waste your muscles away and you will look LESS toned. You must eat more and work with weights. If you follow the advice given to you by wwwaaayyyy more experienced people than me on this forum, you can do this safely.
    If you think you can cut your cals even further and this will make you toned, you are very much mistaken. You dont look like a stupid girl to me, so I know that this will make sense to you. If you lose more weight, you will look like a sick person. Your whole body will suffer, your hair and skin will deteriorate and you will damage your organs. Gain muscle properly by feeding them and working them, not starving them :wink:
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Listen up young'un. There isn't anything wrong with wanting to be a bit more toned. Realise though, that being more toned will involve you gaining more muscle. Muscle weighs more than the equivalent volume of fat and will mean that you will gain weight, not lose it. Your body will look and feel better toned, than not toned.

Nope. A pound is a pound, no matter what it's made of. A pound of feathers takes up much more volume than a pound of iron, but both still weigh a pound. Lean body mass takes up less space per pound than fat does. This is why people sometimes lose inches before they lose pounds.

OP, you may gain a bit of weight temporarily, since strength training works your muscles hard and they retain fluid to help them repair themselves. This will go away over time. More reps with lighter weights (vs. fewer reps with heavier weights) will help you tone. Don't worry about the scale so much.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Nope. A pound is a pound, no matter what it's made of. A pound of feathers takes up much more volume than a pound of iron, but both still weigh a pound. Lean body mass takes up less space per pound than fat does. This is why people sometimes lose inches before they lose pounds.

OP, you may gain a bit of weight temporarily, since strength training works your muscles hard and they retain fluid to help them repair themselves. This will go away over time. More reps with lighter weights (vs. fewer reps with heavier weights) will help you tone. Don't worry about the scale so much.
    You're both talking about density. The sentence you have bolded though is completely correct. Equal volumes of fat and muscle would weigh different amounts. Essentially, one cubic centimeter of muscle weighs more than one cubic centimeter of fat.

However, everyone should just embrace the word density, and then this wouldn't be an issue...
  • hannah12343
    hannah12343 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hey, so I started at 136 and I am now 123 trying to get down to 105. Let me tell u something. 1st off usually the first month your weight will either increase or stay the same because u r gaining muscle and retaining water. 2nd. It you want to loose weigh faster you need to combine weight training (well strength training) and cardio. I just started doing both and now I am shedding pounds. Also, REMEMBER TO EAT. The mistake I was making was not eating. Make sure you eat back your calories. You can't go on an empty stomach, especially after doing minutes of cardio. Eat the good foods and proteins, fruits, vege's etc.... You will get there!!!!
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Thanks for explaining that, auddii. That makes more sense.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Stop whining and increase your workouts to include weights.
  • pinkacidtrip
    Options
    Thanks to everyone and their support!! Thank u. :)
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    2 weeks? Try 2 months....

Seriously. This is what I came here to say, but you said it for me!
  • kegan5
    kegan5 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Reading through this thread I noted the calorie calculator and hope the OP doesn't mind me asking a question in here?

I calculated what my calorie intake should be but can't quite figure out which number I should be paying attention to?

Your Daily Calorie Requirements Your Projected Weight Loss*
    Basic Metabolic Rate: 1395 0.9lbs per week
    Daily Calories to maintain weight: 2162 3.5lbs per month
    Daily calories in step 6 (I said Lose fat 20%): 1730 45lbs per year

Can anyone tell me which number I should look at in terms of my recommended calorie intake ?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Reading through this thread I noted the calorie calculator and hope the OP doesn't mind me asking a question in here?

I calculated what my calorie intake should be but can't quite figure out which number I should be paying attention to?

Your Daily Calorie Requirements Your Projected Weight Loss*
    Basic Metabolic Rate: 1395 0.9lbs per week
    Daily Calories to maintain weight: 2162 3.5lbs per month
    Daily calories in step 6 (I said Lose fat 20%): 1730 45lbs per year

Can anyone tell me which number I should look at in terms of my recommended calorie intake ?

You eat 1730 to lose weight. It should result in almost a pound per week loss.
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Now (and this is important)...... you have to feed muscle to build it. Cutting your current intake will waste your muscles away and you will look LESS toned. You must eat more and work with weights. If you follow the advice given to you by wwwaaayyyy more experienced people than me on this forum, you can do this safely.
    If you think you can cut your cals even further and this will make you toned, you are very much mistaken. You dont look like a stupid girl to me, so I know that this will make sense to you. If you lose more weight, you will look like a sick person. Your whole body will suffer, your hair and skin will deteriorate and you will damage your organs. Gain muscle properly by feeding them and working them, not starving them :wink:

Hi OP. I totally agree with the Epic Bearded Man and the posts about Staci @ nerdfitness and I specifically want to address the part I bolded above because this really nails a good point. Losing weight does not necessarily equal getting toned.

I had a gut, moobs, bingo wings and a goal weight. I got to the goal weight with no exercise other than jogging 1-3 times a week and guess what? I still have a gut, moobs and bingo wings...just smaller. So guess what my goal weight is now? I don't have one! I can gain or lose (although I probably don't need to lose); I just want the weight I'm at to look good. So, I'm going to start hitting the gym.

Put the scales away, give lifting a fair shot, eat enough food and see what happens. I bet you'll like it. Build up, not tear down!
  • Tangosgrandad
    Tangosgrandad Posts: 36 Member
    Options

You're both talking about density. The sentence you have bolded though is completely correct. Equal volumes of fat and muscle would weigh different amounts. Essentially, one cubic centimeter of muscle weighs more than one cubic centimeter of fat.

However, everyone should just embrace the word density, and then this wouldn't be an issue...

Thank you, good explanation and was exactly the point I was trying to make. I really hadn't said that a pound of fat was lighter than a pound of muscle, but don't waste my time arguing.
  • kegan5
    kegan5 Posts: 45 Member
    Options

Appreciate that thank you :) -

Wow, that's probably where I was going wrong... I like quite a few on here followed the 1200 calorie rule and sometimes even struggled to meet the 1200 - I try to measure each meal as much as possible but do have to guess-timate sometimes and get around 900-1200 calories per day (let's assume I get a minimum of 1200 with my guesses) I really struggle to up my in take as a vegetarian.

I'm going to have to re-think my eating habits :)

p.s. does this extra 500 calories I need to intake mean I can eat this giant chocolate bar that's been staring at me for the past 2 months :p ?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Appreciate that thank you :) -

Wow, that's probably where I was going wrong... I like quite a few on here followed the 1200 calorie rule and sometimes even struggled to meet the 1200 - I try to measure each meal as much as possible but do have to guess-timate sometimes and get around 900-1200 calories per day (let's assume I get a minimum of 1200 with my guesses) I really struggle to up my in take as a vegetarian.

I'm going to have to re-think my eating habits :)

p.s. does this extra 500 calories I need to intake mean I can eat this giant chocolate bar that's been staring at me for the past 2 months :p ?

You can eat those 500 calories however you want. I wouldn't do it with chocolate every day though. A good rule of thumb is to get 80% of your calories from nutritious foods and 20% from "junk".

Look for calorie dense foods to up those calories. Peanut butter, seeds & nuts, olive oil, avocado. Full fat dairy instead of low fat.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    lots of sit ups

workaholics-no.gif
  • easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I think it's really, really important to get that number out of your head. You will not be able to be toned at 125 lbs. You won't. You will be building muscle and adding it to your frame and that will mean an increase in weight for you - but it's a good thing in your case!

I'm going to share my friend's story (but not pics). She went down to 120 lbs in college - her lowest weight ever, from 130 - and had zero tone. She was very thin, low body fat, and felt flabby. She was always tired, not eating enough (so hungry) and still unhappy with her body. A friend of hers talked her into trying Crossfit and she started that. Now she is the most toned, gorgeous person I know. Her size is about the same as when she was 120, but she looks so fit and healthy - and she weighs just under 160 - that gain is all compact muscle. There does not appear to be an ounce of fat on her (though she has a healthy percentage). In order to have the body she wanted - toned, fit, strong - she had to let go of the scale and accept that what her brain told her she should weigh was not what she needed to weigh to look like she wants to look.

I think that is going to be particularly hard for you as a recovering anorexic. If you don't have any support, you need to consider finding some.