Splenda - not so innocent......

Options
Thought I would post this as I found it interesting and I'm sure a lot of people here use this product.
I still use it here and there but now I know how to account for it (it is not a free food!). I personally think it is insane that they are allowed to post the nutritional information for 1 tsp on their package for Granular (the one for baking) - who uses 1 tsp when baking?!?! It is a product that has plenty of carbs and calories so use with caution.

This was a response from a slenda rep on another page I visited in the past (I saved it for my own reference):

"The caloric and carbohydrate content for SPLENDA(R) Brand Sweetener is as follows:

SPLENDA(R) Granular
1 tsp = 0.5 gm carb = 2 calories
one half cup = 12 gm carb = 48 calories
1 cup = 24 gm carb = 96 calories

*1 tsp. = 1 serving

Packet of SPLENDA(R)
1 packet = .9 gm of carb = 4 calories

*1 packet has the sweetness of 2 tsp of sugar

Note: Per U.S. labeling laws, anything with less than 5 calories per serving, is properly labeled as "zero" or no-calorie.

The caloric and carbohydrate content for sugar is as follows:

Sugar
1 tsp = 4 gm of carb= 16 calories
one half cup = 96 gm of carb= 385 calories
1 cup = 192 gm of carb = 770 calories

Note: The calories and carbohydrates in SPLENDA(R) No Calorie Sweetener come from dextrose and/or maltodextrin, which are added for bulk. Sucralose, the sweetening ingredient in SPLENDA(R) Brand Sweetener, has no calories and is not a carbohydrate.

Granular - sucralose, maltodextrin (0.5 gram per serving)
Packets - sucralose, maltodextrin and dextrose (less than 1 gram per packet)"

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Anything with less than 5 calories per listed serving size can be labeled as no calorie or 0 etc... This is not news.

What I love is that some people will grab some spray butter and see that it says "0 calories for 5 sprays" then go "OMG it's calorie free butter!". Then they open the top and pour it on...adding hundreds of calories of liquid butter/margarine. Dosage isn't a hard concept.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    sucrose doesn't dissolve worth a darn either, so even though it 1 tsp of splenda packet is the same sweetness as 2 tsp sugar, you typically have to still use more to sweeten something cold like iced tea. Splenda is mediocre in its solubility so you don't have to use as much.

Splenda and other artificially sweeteners REALLY save calories in preformulated products where they don't have to use bulking agents like maltodextrin to make you feel all warm and fuzzy because it's the same volume as sugar.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    So an entire cup of Splenda has less than 100 calories.

Call the authorities.
  • huneydrop
    Options
    Anything with less than 5 calories per listed serving size can be labeled as no calorie or 0 etc... This is not news.

What I love is that some people will grab some spray butter and see that it says "0 calories for 5 sprays" then go "OMG it's calorie free butter!". Then they open the top and pour it on...adding hundreds of calories of liquid butter/margarine. Dosage isn't a hard concept.

Not everyone knows this - I was not aware companies were allowed to be deceptive like that, I do NOW but at some point everyone has to learn it for the first time - or were you special and born knowing this?

I was just trying to be helpful. You're response was rather snarky and know-it-all-y.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Not everyone knows this - I was not aware companies were allowed to be deceptive like that, I do NOW but at some point everyone has to learn it for the first time - or were you special and born knowing this?

I was just trying to be helpful. You're response was rather snarky and know-it-all-y.

I was overly snarky too. I apologize for that. I understand you're new, and this is actually good information. We tend to be a little reactive about "artificial sweeteners are evil" threads which happen constantly.
  • huneydrop
    Options
    So an entire cup of Splenda has less than 100 calories.

Call the authorities.

Wow, as a new member I am a little taken back at the attitudes of some people here........why bother.
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    What's the point of this post? That there is misrepresentation of calorie amounts? I think that's pretty widely known. Or maybe not. No harm in sharing I suppose.

Even if you're using Splenda in your coffee or something, the calories are kind of negligible (at least in my opinion ~5 calories in a tsp isn't going to significantly alter your goals). Then again I think splenda tastes bad so I just stick to real sugar or no sugar.

ETA: kindness
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options

I was overly snarky too. I apologize for that. I understand you're new, and this is actually good information. We tend to be a little reactive about "artificial sweeteners are evil" threads which happen constantly.

This. OP, Take a look at the tickers, posts, and join dates of the two posters that you think are "snarky". Then use the search feature for "splenda" or "artificial sweetner/evil" and you may understand a little bit. I guarantee if you make it here as long as them, you'll get a touch snarky as well...

ETA:spelling
  • huneydrop
    Options

Thank you. I am not saying they are evil. I was just trying to let people who didn't already know this info know so they can account for it. I am doing keto so my carbs are very low (under 20), it's pretty crucial for me to know if I'm eating an extra 2 or 3 carbs a day hidden in my food somewhere. Since learning this I have drastically cut down my use but still do use it here and there.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Thank you. I am not saying they are evil. I was just trying to let people who didn't already know this info know so they can account for it. I am doing keto so my carbs are very low (under 20), it's pretty crucial for me to know if I'm eating an extra 2 or 3 carbs a day hidden in my food somewhere. Since learning this I have drastically cut down my use but still do use it here and there.

That is a fair and valuable comment. I think the calories in the product are so low as to be completely negligible, but it's interesting information nonetheless.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

This. OP, Take a look at the tickers, posts, and join dates of the two posters that you think are "snarky". Then use the search feature for "splenda" or "artificial sweetner/evil" and you may understand a little bit. I guarantee if you make it here as long as them, you'll get a touch snarky as well...

Guarantee I won't...... If it doesn't interest me I keep on scrolling. I would never respond to new members (or old) the way you guys have here. You can lose 100 lbs, been here for 10 years and have 1000 posts and still be an *kitten*.

That's a wonderful way to introduce yourself to the community OP. Attacking users who have apologized for being snarky. A very nice violation of the community guidelines as well.

It shouldn't be news that package info is incorrect/lacking. Its rather common knowledge.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    I believe the calories derive entirely from the bulking agents that allow Splenda to measure cup per cup the same as sugar. If you purchase the liquid form of Splenda (EZ-Sweets for example) it is truly calorie free as far as I am aware.
  • huneydrop
    Options
    I didn't attack anyone.......what thread are you reading???

One person apologized and I thanked him for that. Did I miss the others?
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Guarantee I won't...... If it doesn't interest me I keep on scrolling. I would never respond to new members (or old) the way you guys have here. You can lose 100 lbs, been here for 10 years and have 1000 posts and still be an *kitten*.

Good luck with your goals. You will do well here. :flowerforyou: I don't think I was overly snarky, simply pointing out a common theme.

university_advisory_the_sheltered_child_white_tshirt-p235864272695774320ybfc_400.jpg
  • huneydrop
    Options
    I believe the calories derive entirely from the bulking agents that allow Splenda to measure cup per cup the same as sugar. If you purchase the liquid form of Splenda (EZ-Sweets for example) it is truly calorie free as far as I am aware.

Yes I have that stuff and use it but for baking it is tough to use....lots of trial and error and hard on the hands to squeeze out that much. I mostly just use the EZ Sweets in my coffee but I am weaning myself off that right now. Would like to remove all sweetener from my diet, that is my ultimate goal.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    LOL @ "not so innocent"

Did Splenda invite you upstairs to show you his etchings?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    OP,

Here is a flower for you: :flowerforyou:

Best of luck with all your health and fitness goals.

Love,
    jof
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Splenda's not that innocent? Like... Britney Spears?

What does that make sugar? Christina Aguilera?
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options

I actually didnt know this and I totally go spray crazy with my Butter Spray. So do I assume that every 5 sprays is about 4.99 calories?
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options

I dun git it.