Splenda - not so innocent......

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,577 Member
    Options
    this is good info to share.. you are right, not everyone knows all this. I think that's a good reason to have these chat sessions, so we can let others know what we've learned.. thanks for sharing
  • Deona01
    Options
    I want to say "Thank you" for sharing this info :happy: I had no idea and have been using the granular in my coffee and drinking the Milos Splenda tea since beginning my journey. I am thankful to find out in the beginning (I just started mine back up this Monday) so now I can add the calorie intake as I am using a calorie intake diet (easier for me to use this method) and I have been coming within 35-75 calories under my allowed intake using the Zero calories on the labels of the Splenda and the Tea and this will get me right at it :smile: This may seem unimportant to a lot of you, but I can easily down a half gal of tea easily in just one day (glad I'm no longer drinking that much regular sugar anymore).

This will help me be so much more conscious of all items I want to buy that include this product.and its mistaken identity. Hopefully there will be many more that will appreciate this news in the future.

You can share any knowledge with me that you think may help and even if I already knew this I assure you it will be greatly appreciated, esp. since you took the time out of your day to share it with me. To me that means a lot!!!!

Good luck on your journey and thank you for making me more knowledgeable with mine :flowerforyou:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I am not doing keto due to an epileptic condition - it is a lifestyle choice that has improved my health and quality of life.

Just a simple post copying and pasting something I found and thought was interesting (the "not so innocent" part was meant to be funny but I now know this is the wrong audience for such things). Based on the PM's I've gotten and comments in the thread I was successful in spreading the information to people who did find it interesting and didn't know about the calories/carbs. That was all I was trying to do.

Use it, don't use, doesn't matter to me. I was just trying to make sure people know what was in it so they could account for it in the carbs/calories. I'm such a cow, I know.

Ummm...have they been logging their food? I'm not sure how people wouldn't know if they log things. And why would you say you are a cow? That doesn't sound like a very healthy mindset :( I hope you talk to someone about that. Getting healthy isn't just a physical thing. :(

It's called sarcasm darlin'............... :wink:

Mmhmm. :flowerforyou:

But I'll just say (just in case) that there are services that will help you for free or on a curve basis when you need it. :) Best of luck OP :)

Sounds like you are quite familiar with these services.... Does it run in your family? Sorry to hear that. :flowerforyou:

It's okay OP. I'm not mad. Just trying to help because it's obvious you're projecting your issues on others. It's not healthy. Really. It's concerning.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    how about just use real sugar….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Splenda's not that innocent? Like... Britney Spears?

What does that make sugar? Christina Aguilera?
    I knew there was a deeper reason that I liked sugar.
    2227541-web.jpg

now that, I am addicted too!
  • huneydrop
    Options
    I am not doing keto due to an epileptic condition - it is a lifestyle choice that has improved my health and quality of life.

Just a simple post copying and pasting something I found and thought was interesting (the "not so innocent" part was meant to be funny but I now know this is the wrong audience for such things). Based on the PM's I've gotten and comments in the thread I was successful in spreading the information to people who did find it interesting and didn't know about the calories/carbs. That was all I was trying to do.

Use it, don't use, doesn't matter to me. I was just trying to make sure people know what was in it so they could account for it in the carbs/calories. I'm such a cow, I know.

Ummm...have they been logging their food? I'm not sure how people wouldn't know if they log things. And why would you say you are a cow? That doesn't sound like a very healthy mindset :( I hope you talk to someone about that. Getting healthy isn't just a physical thing. :(

But I'll just say (just in case) that there are services that will help you for free or on a curve basis when you need it. :) Best of luck OP :)

Sounds like you are quite familiar with these services.... Does it run in your family? Sorry to hear that. :flowerforyou:

It's okay OP. I'm not mad. Just trying to help because it's obvious you're projecting your issues on others. It's not healthy. Really. It's concerning.

You sound mad, you should probably call one of your services, they can help, just like the other times. They could also maybe help with your anxiety..... I hate seeing you so frazzled over this :(
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

You sound mad, you should probably call one of your services, they can help, just like the other times. They could also maybe help with your anxiety..... I hate seeing you so frazzled over this :(

Jon-Hamm-Sure-Thing.gif
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I actually use a lot of granulated Splenda. I don't count it and it has not made any difference in my weight loss, meeting my goal, or maintaining. It is a much studied artificial sweetener. It works for me. I agree that things made with Stevia are disgusting. Yes, Drano is a good analogy.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

And instantly get cancer?!?

No thank you.

:noway:

No. Thank. You.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    You know something weird is up when I think we were a little hard on the OP over artificial sweetener.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I didn't attack anyone.......what thread are you reading???

One person apologized and I thanked him for that. Did I miss the others?

My gawd you are a hostile bunch.

Calling a person, even in the general term you used, an ... pretty much comes off as an attack.

ETA: Your quote in case you go back and change it:
    Guarantee I won't...... If it doesn't interest me I keep on scrolling. I would never respond to new members (or old) the way you guys have here. You can lose 100 lbs, been here for 10 years and have 1000 posts and still be an....

So who did I attack exactly? Saying it's possible to be an *kitten* is not attacking anyone...... If you think I was directing it at you then........shoe fits and all that. But I didn't call anyone an ..., simply stated it was possible to be one. Read slower.

OP, doesn't matter. It's considered "offensive" language- it doesn't matter if you didn't direct it at a particular person. I speak from experience saying something similar once. I think the exact thing I said that got reported was "It's possible to be helpful without being a douche" in reference to how some people come across as mean. PIssed me off, but whatever... just be advised.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    You know something weird is up when I think we were a little hard on the OP over artificial sweetener.

LOL this could be a first … I might bookmark this thread...
  • ndj1979
    Options

No thank you.

No. Thank. You.

wel maybe I should not do that..the last time I did sugar, I blew four bowls of the stuff..blew all my money on hookers, and sold the kids to some guy named Juan who lived in Juarez…..whoops!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Why are we caring about this? Does anyone eat 1/2 cups of splenda a day? And hey, all those chemicals have to have some calories right? Stop worrying about your calories and worry about what it does to your glucose levels and how it affects the way your body stores fat.
    oh nooooooooooo not the chemicals….*runs around in circles screaming "NOT THE CHEMICALS"…..!!!!!!!
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Naughty splenda! I use a packet about 3-4 times a week. I know it's not calorie free, carb free....blah blah blah. I like the taste and it works for me. I also like vodka.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

No thank you.

No. Thank. You.

wel maybe I should not do that..the last time I did sugar, I blew four bowls of the stuff..blew all my money on hookers, and sold the kids to some guy named Juan who lived in Juarez…..whoops!

46553279.jpg
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Are you softening up?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Are you softening up?

NEVER!!

Maybe.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Are you softening up?

NEVER!!

Maybe.

Kh2QNm4.gif
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    Note that in the UK any calorie amount has to be listed.
    So you don't get 0 calorie spray, you get one calorie spray. A can of coke zero has 1.5 calories or something and so on.
    Stelvia is even lower in calories, but as I found you need to mix it with sugar for baking - my protein brownies made BEFORE I read this were pretty disgusting (though my friend ended up finishing them off anyway.)

Yes, same. In Australia.

Much better system IMO than the misleading concept of anything under 5 calories per serve being labelled zero calories.