Sugar is killing you.

Options

Replies

• Strangegirlz
    Strangegirlz Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Now I want a candy bar...

I haven't had a candy bar in forever. But tomorrow is a five mile day and I'm out of sour patch kids...I could swing a candy bar. Oh, but what kind of get.

I've always been a snickers fan.

Don't have it with water, because too much water can kill you and that's science
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

WHAT? The US didn't make the top 10?

perhaps inclusion of HFCS would have fixed that ??
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I live in eastern Canada where we have the best maple syrup...no way is that gonna kill you...I mean come on....maple syrup...nom nom...how can you eat french toast, pancakes and bacon without it????? Never mind what goes in my coffee.

This whole sugar thing is so silly...I had someone email me and ask me to join a group that believed this...sited alan aragon studies etc...

excuse me as I roll my eyes again.
  • sierra_12
    sierra_12 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I live in eastern Canada where we have the best maple syrup...

Phew, good thing I live in Nebraska. No sugar here, just corn and cows. And corn..... oh, and cows.....
    corn.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I didn't think the article was that bad (mostly.)

On somewhere like here where people generally keep a close eye on nutrient intake and ensure they are sufficiently nourished without excess caloric intake it is a bit of a moot point.

However, MFP is simply not a good reflection of the general population and I doubt it ever will be. Sugar helps drive palatability (especially when combined with fat) which crowds out other nutrients (particularly protein) and tastes, helps promote over consumption and therefore weight gain which in then drives less than great health outcomes for the broader population.

Excess added sugar consumption in that context is an issue and the public message to keep an eye on it is a good one.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    HI OP - I just read your opening statement. If you are going to try to tell me that eating fruit (eating a fresh orange or apple) is going to make me fat, then I reject your opening statement.

I will eat an orange and an apple and a banana and watermelon and cherries and ugli fruit over cookies, cakes, ice cream, brownies, etc, not only because there are many nutrients in fruit (vitamins, fiber, juice, refreshment and sweetness), and also because they really taste good and satisfy my sweet tooth without having to eat processed sugary snacks for that reason.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Let's talk statistics here. What are the top 10 countries that consume the most sugar in the world? Well if you don't know here they are:

Macedonia 73.8
    Belize 65.5
    Swaziland 56.9
    Cuba 56.6
    Trinidad & Tobago 55.3
    Barbados 52.7
    Brazil 51.7
    Costa Rica 50.6
    New Zealand 49.2
    St. Kitt & Nevis 49.0

WHAT? The US didn't make the top 10?

Now let's check the obesity rates of these countries.

Macedonia- Est. 298,512 Population 2,040,085
    Belize- 39,938 272,945
    Swaziland- 171,087 1,169,241
    Cuba- 2,310,000 11,000,000
    Trinidad/Tobago- 399,000 1,330,000
    Barbados- 283,221 195,422
    Brazil- 26,938,323 184,101,109
    Costa Rica- 1,440,000 4,800,000
    New Zealand- 1,373,333 4,443,000
    St. Kitt and Nevis

http://www.rightdiagnosis.com/o/obesity/stats-country.htm

So with this info, you'd think they would be the most obese nations in the world too, but they aren't.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

While I'm not doubting that's the case, please note that the data you're using to back this up is completely unsuitable for that purpose.

From the rightdiagnosis site: WARNING! EXTRAPOLATION ONLY! NOT BASED ON COUNTRY-SPECIFIC DATA SOURCES. The following table attempts to extrapolate the above prevalence rate for Obesity to the populations of various countries and regions. These prevalence extrapolations for Obesity are only estimates, based on applying the prevalence rates from the US (or a similar country) to the population of other countries, and therefore may have very limited relevance to the actual prevalence of Obesity in any region

In other words they've said: Brazil, Swaziland, Belize - similar population demographic to the USA. Therefore obesity rates are the same. Looking at WHO data (can't find out how they get the data, so feel free to shout back at me for using as flawed data (!)):

(Country / Sugar Intake / Obesity Rate)
    Barbados 52.7g 34.70%
    Belize 65.5g 33.70%
    Trinidad/Tobago 55.5g 29.30%
    New Zealand 49.2g 28.30%
    Costa Rica 50.6g 23.70%
    Cuba 56.6g 21.50%
    Macedonia 73.8g 20.10%
    Swaziland 56.9g 19.70%
    Brazil 51.7g 18.80%

So yeah, as you say - not that much of a correlation!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Good to know it's not going be cancer or a heart attack that kills me.
  • GeekdGirl
    GeekdGirl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm sure if some one continually hit me around the head with a kilo bag of sugar it would kill me

giphy_zpsc142f93a.gif
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    That's very true although I was more interested in the discussion on how your body metabolizes fructose and glucose and how the the leptin and grehlin responses differ. I was hoping someone with a greater knowledge on the subject than I could weigh in on that.

Mammals (including humans and our ancestors) have been eating fructose laden fruit for millions up millions of years. Does it make sense that it would be inherently toxic?
  • illykitty89
    Options
    I live in eastern Canada where we have the best maple syrup...no way is that gonna kill you...I mean come on....maple syrup...nom nom...how can you eat french toast, pancakes and bacon without it????? Never mind what goes in my coffee.

This whole sugar thing is so silly...I had someone email me and ask me to join a group that believed this...sited alan aragon studies etc...

excuse me as I roll my eyes again.

That was one thing I missed so much after moving from Quebec to the UK. Thank goodness my husband had a Costco membership, otherwise it's tiny bottles for about £6 (about 11$).

Anyway, I'm sceptical. I admit I probably have too much added sugar but I want to take a moderate approach. I'm thinking of switching to unsweetened soy milk and try to have less sweet coffees.

Cereals are the worse though - they all have sugar added to them unless you have *plain* oats or muesli. It's hard for me to find a balance of high fiber but low sugar (all brans, for example, have added sugars). Granolas tend to be quite sugary too. I guess it's best to stick to the oats and muesli.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options

:love: :love: :love:

PS I'm from Iowa too. :drinker:

Great, now I have to move.

don't worry I beat you to it and went to a place that values health and wellness, though I will admit Iowa is pretty great as far as midwest states go.

There's that elitist attitude we all love so much.

wait you're in Denver though - CO is pretty rad too when it comes to health and general well-being.

I'm from the midwest. Lived there for 22 years. I don't appreciate the broad sweeping generalizations of how us midwesterners value health and wellness.

I am too, and obesity rates are significantly higher in the midwest than they are on either coast, though CO is a bastion of awesomeness stuck in the middle. It's not a broad, sweeping generalization it's just statistical fact.

Obesity rates in the midwest are higher than along the coast = statistical fact

People in the midwest don't value their health and wellness = broad, sweeping generalization

Do you even lift?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

2010 article vs 2014 article is worth taking into consideration.

Appeal to novelty
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Suffice it to say that too much of anything could potentially kill you, so just don't eat too much of anything.

Problem solved.

Of course, no matter what you do, you're going to die anyway.

Unless I get hit by a bus or killed in a mugging, I already know how I'm going to die, so if I want a little sugar in moderation, I'm going to have it. And enjoy it.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    HI OP - I just read your opening statement. If you are going to try to tell me that eating fruit (eating a fresh orange or apple) is going to make me fat, then I reject your opening statement.

I will eat an orange and an apple and a banana and watermelon and cherries and ugli fruit over cookies, cakes, ice cream, brownies, etc, not only because there are many nutrients in fruit (vitamins, fiber, juice, refreshment and sweetness), and also because they really taste good and satisfy my sweet tooth without having to eat processed sugary snacks for that reason.

Are cookies, cakes, brownies and ice cream considered processed if I make them myself?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I'm a little late to this party, but I believe the problem that people have understanding sugar is a complete lack of understanding about fat. Honestly, I don't even pretend to know myself, but I do know that the body requires fat, not just dietary fat, but also body fat. Body fat serves a purpose, and there are many functions of the body that are designed to preserve it. Dietary fat is important for regulating hormones, such as leptin and grehlin. Triglycerides are needed to process glucose.

All of the issues presented by both body fat and dietary fat can be managed through a moderate, balanced diet. A moderate, balanced diet will include sugars, and most especially fructose.

That's my opinion on the matter, though.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    I'm a little late to this party, but I believe the problem that people have understanding sugar is a complete lack of understanding about fat. Honestly, I don't even pretend to know myself, but I do know that the body requires fat, not just dietary fat, but also body fat. Body fat serves a purpose, and there are many functions of the body that are designed to preserve it. Dietary fat is important for regulating hormones, such as leptin and grehlin. Triglycerides are needed to process glucose.

All of the issues presented by both body fat and dietary fat can be managed through a moderate, balanced diet. A moderate, balanced diet will include sugars, and most especially fructose.

That's my opinion on the matter, though.

but your opinion is also quite accurate and truthful.
  • mccindy72
    Options

Are cookies, cakes, brownies and ice cream considered processed if I make them myself?

Chewing is a process, by the time any of this food hits your belly, it's processed. I'm eating a damned cookie if I want one. Or a banana if I want one. They both have sugar. Perfectly fine either way.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options

Chewing is a process, by the time any of this food hits your belly, it's processed. I'm eating a damned cookie if I want one. Or a banana if I want one. They both have sugar. Perfectly fine either way.

PROCESSED - meaning desserts and sweets and things other than fruit usually made with white sugar - the stuff that I crave being a sugar addict that made me fat. (cookies, cake, brownies, pastries, etc.. For YOU ,, you might be able to eat that, but for me, I'm doing well without.)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

PROCESSED - meaning desserts and sweets and things other than fruit usually made with white sugar - the stuff that I crave being a sugar addict that made me fat. (cookies, cake, brownies, pastries, etc.. For YOU ,, you might be able to eat that, but for me, I'm doing well without.)

you realize that some fruits have more sugar then a service of ice cream right?

and there is no difference, at the molecular level sugar is sugar….your body does not distinguish between where sugar comes from.