Sugar is killing you.

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    What's killing people is lack of knowledge of HOW much they are consuming which why there's a weight issue with just about every industrialized country.

Complicating approaches to "eat less, move more" just helps to confuse people more.

Guaranteed that unless someone has a health/hormonal issue, "eating less, moving more" will be fine for 90% of the people who need to lose weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    What's killing people is lack of knowledge of HOW much they are consuming which why there's a weight issue with just about every industrialized country.

Complicating approaches to "eat less, move more" just helps to confuse people more.

Guaranteed that unless someone has a health/hormonal issue, "eating less, moving more" will be fine for 90% of the people who need to lose weight.

IDEA Fitness member

And for many, we could even simplify it to "eat less". Can't get much easier to understand than that.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I agree to this article. "Our body doesn't process all sugars the same way."

Limited Sugar diet may not kill ya. Out of Portion Sugar based diet will definitely create complications and increased waistlines.
  • SweetTrouble_
    SweetTrouble_ Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I'm dying a little more everyday.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    sugar-addiction-donuts-_-istock_000015154101xsmall.jpg?w=300&h=199.gif
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    We are all going to die someday anyways, why not make it worth it.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I think it is less to do with information then skills.

Knowing you have to eat less (food) and move more I think is common knowledge. It is also pretty much seems to be a failure as a message given how prevalent obesity still is today.

Knowing you must be in a calorie deficit or eat less doesn't equip people with the skills to actually achieve that state in practice. Knowing you must eat less does not give people the skills to moderate their intake of highly palatable food especially if it has become a compulsive habit.

Which brings us back to sugar. I can't get no satisfaction isn't just a song by the Rolling Stones.

Most people know, quite consciously, that demolishing a packet of biscuits, a tray of cake and a litre of fizzy pop probably won't assist them in their efforts to slim down. Yet they still do it. Why? It's not because they lack willpower or some other laughable notion. It's because they lack the skills to do so...
  • Icelandic_Saga
    Icelandic_Saga Posts: 2,926 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I like to eat sugar with a spoon. mmmmmm
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Limited Sugar diet may not kill ya. Out of Portion Sugar based diet will definitely create complications and increased waistlines.

My waistline is fine, thanks.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Alan Aragon

who is still not actually a scientist and just a blogger.

No.
    Alan Aragon has over 20 years of success in the fitness field. He earned his Bachelor and Master of Science in Nutrition with top honors. Alan is a continuing education provider for the Commission on Dietetic Registration and National Strength & Conditioning Association. Alan lectures at national and international conferences, and maintains a private practice designing programs for recreational, Olympic, and professional athletes, including the Los Angeles Lakers, Los Angeles Kings, and Anaheim Mighty Ducks.

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/about/
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

My waistline is fine, thanks.

how-you-doin-o.gif
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Knowing you have to eat less (food) and move more I think is common knowledge. It is also pretty much seems to be a failure as a message given how prevalent obesity still is today.

Knowing you must be in a calorie deficit or eat less doesn't equip people with the skills to actually achieve that state in practice. Knowing you must eat less does not give people the skills to moderate their intake of highly palatable food especially if it has become a compulsive habit.

Which brings us back to sugar. I can't get no satisfaction isn't just a song by the Rolling Stones.

Most people know, quite consciously, that demolishing a packet of biscuits, a tray of cake and a litre of fizzy pop probably won't assist them in their efforts to slim down. Yet they still do it. Why? It's not because they lack willpower or some other laughable notion. It's because they lack the skills to do so...

OK, now I'm curious. Let's ignore people that have compulsive disorders and the like - I agree they're going to need help with food issues. But for the normal person who just loves to eat cookies, cakes, and drink soda ... what skill\s do they lack that they can't put down or not buy one (or even part of one) of the cookies, cake and soda?
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    HI OP - I just read your opening statement. If you are going to try to tell me that eating fruit (eating a fresh orange or apple) is going to make me fat, then I reject your opening statement.

I will eat an orange and an apple and a banana and watermelon and cherries and ugli fruit over cookies, cakes, ice cream, brownies, etc, not only because there are many nutrients in fruit (vitamins, fiber, juice, refreshment and sweetness), and also because they really taste good and satisfy my sweet tooth without having to eat processed sugary snacks for that reason.

Are cookies, cakes, brownies and ice cream considered processed if I make them myself?

Chewing is a process, by the time any of this food hits your belly, it's processed. I'm eating a damned cookie if I want one. Or a banana if I want one. They both have sugar. Perfectly fine either way.

PROCESSED - meaning desserts and sweets and things other than fruit usually made with white sugar - the stuff that I crave being a sugar addict that made me fat. (cookies, cake, brownies, pastries, etc.. For YOU ,, you might be able to eat that, but for me, I'm doing well without.)

you realize that some fruits have more sugar then a service of ice cream right?

and there is no difference, at the molecular level sugar is sugar….your body does not distinguish between where sugar comes from.

I understand that some fruit has higher carbs than others, but in general they all have good stuff that i love and feel is doing my body better than cake and muffins. It is my choice to enjoy fruit over cake. I have reasons for not choosing the cake and fruit is what makes it worth it.

yeah i know others have their own opinions about fruit and cake, but im telling you MY choices and MY experience. I'm doing well with these choices and its having a weight loss effect on me.

right now i am not focusing on the scientific stuff, im focusing on what hits me on certain levels, and what is addicting to me, and by expereince I know what food will lead to bad affects like weight gain, and what will aim toward weight loss, and I know what works better or not for me. Hey you enjoy your cake and I'll enjoy my fruit! in the end, we will get to our goals. everyone is different.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I think it's a personal thing..

I do terribly when I eat too much added sugars. I feel bad, I look bad, I am overall not good.

When I stop, i get headaches, sometimes shakes, sometimes they turn into full blown migraines.

I do believe that added sugar is addictive, highly addictive, and a lot of us are unknowingly addicted to it.

I can only go by what my experience is and that of my friends. I have some friends who do fine eating it and other who do not. It is interesting to note that my friends who cut out added sugar lose weight quicker and easier then my friends who do not do this. Even with all of us eating healthy and exercising and attempting to lose weight. I also see a correlation between energy levels and overall general feeling well and remaining healthy (as in not getting sick)

there is some backing of this.. although I did not do a through research project on it.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/02/140203163432.htm
  • peggyb8642
    Options
    I am in total agreement. As far as human food consumption goes, refined sugar is a newcomer ... with the exception of wild honey it has been produced for only about one thousand years, the blink of an eye in evolutionary terms, and our bodies are not designed to handle it easily. Indeed, It has only been in the past few hundred years that refined sugar has been available to the average person and with increased consumption of refined sugar has come similar increases in obesity and the associated insulin intolerance and hypertension that accompany metabolic syndrome. There is no doubt that the alarming rise in diabetes and heart disease is closely linked with obesity and the consumption of refined sugar. Of course sugar is not the only villain ... our bodies were meant to be moving, not parked in front of a screen all day. I believe we need to have more consideration of who we are as humans and what our bodies need. That means eating whole, naturally occurring foods and getting some kind of daily exercise.
    I recommend you read Richard J Johnson's "The Fat Switch" ... it's well researched by a very credible author and full of interesting information.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    The act of living is killing me.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    I am in total agreement. As far as human food consumption goes, refined sugar is a newcomer ... with the exception of wild honey it has been produced for only about one thousand years, the blink of an eye in evolutionary terms, and our bodies are not designed to handle it easily. Indeed, It has only been in the past few hundred years that refined sugar has been available to the average person and with increased consumption of refined sugar has come similar increases in obesity and the associated insulin intolerance and hypertension that accompany metabolic syndrome. There is no doubt that the alarming rise in diabetes and heart disease is closely linked with obesity and the consumption of refined sugar. Of course sugar is not the only villain ... our bodies were meant to be moving, not parked in front of a screen all day. I believe we need to have more consideration of who we are as humans and what our bodies need. That means eating whole, naturally occurring foods and getting some kind of daily exercise.
    I recommend you read Richard J Johnson's "The Fat Switch" ... it's well researched by a very credible author and full of interesting information.

The alarming rise in diabetes and obesity is closely linked to overeating. Period.
  • mccindy72
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

OK, now I'm curious. Let's ignore people that have compulsive disorders and the like - I agree they're going to need help with food issues. But for the normal person who just loves to eat cookies, cakes, and drink soda ... what skill\s do they lack that they can't put down or not buy one (or even part of one) of the cookies, cake and soda?

None. I'm normal and I like to eat dessert sometimes. I just eat a small amount and don't eat more than that.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    HI OP - I just read your opening statement. If you are going to try to tell me that eating fruit (eating a fresh orange or apple) is going to make me fat, then I reject your opening statement.

I will eat an orange and an apple and a banana and watermelon and cherries and ugli fruit over cookies, cakes, ice cream, brownies, etc, not only because there are many nutrients in fruit (vitamins, fiber, juice, refreshment and sweetness), and also because they really taste good and satisfy my sweet tooth without having to eat processed sugary snacks for that reason.

Are cookies, cakes, brownies and ice cream considered processed if I make them myself?

Chewing is a process, by the time any of this food hits your belly, it's processed. I'm eating a damned cookie if I want one. Or a banana if I want one. They both have sugar. Perfectly fine either way.

PROCESSED - meaning desserts and sweets and things other than fruit usually made with white sugar - the stuff that I crave being a sugar addict that made me fat. (cookies, cake, brownies, pastries, etc.. For YOU ,, you might be able to eat that, but for me, I'm doing well without.)

you realize that some fruits have more sugar then a service of ice cream right?

and there is no difference, at the molecular level sugar is sugar….your body does not distinguish between where sugar comes from.

I see a lot of people on this site posting that, and it doesn't make any sense at all. Do you think that the second you eat something that it's instantly converted down to it's base molecules?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

then how do people like myself eat sugar, stay in deficit, hit macros and meet all their health and fitness goals? Maybe I am a special snowflake...