Sugar is killing you.

Options

Replies

• TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Um...

Studies aside....

I am proof that this is wrong. I eat hundreds of grams of sugar every day from fruit and I am in pretty good shape and not dead. :)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    HI OP - I just read your opening statement. If you are going to try to tell me that eating fruit (eating a fresh orange or apple) is going to make me fat, then I reject your opening statement.

I will eat an orange and an apple and a banana and watermelon and cherries and ugli fruit over cookies, cakes, ice cream, brownies, etc, not only because there are many nutrients in fruit (vitamins, fiber, juice, refreshment and sweetness), and also because they really taste good and satisfy my sweet tooth without having to eat processed sugary snacks for that reason.

Are cookies, cakes, brownies and ice cream considered processed if I make them myself?

Chewing is a process, by the time any of this food hits your belly, it's processed. I'm eating a damned cookie if I want one. Or a banana if I want one. They both have sugar. Perfectly fine either way.

PROCESSED - meaning desserts and sweets and things other than fruit usually made with white sugar - the stuff that I crave being a sugar addict that made me fat. (cookies, cake, brownies, pastries, etc.. For YOU ,, you might be able to eat that, but for me, I'm doing well without.)

Eating at a calorie surplus made you fat.
    Processed has nothing to do with desserts made with white sugar. Processed has to do with any food that goes through a process that takes it from its natural state to something else. Milk is processed. Boxed pasta is processed. Every frozen and canned food is processed. Bread is processed.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    HI OP - I just read your opening statement. If you are going to try to tell me that eating fruit (eating a fresh orange or apple) is going to make me fat, then I reject your opening statement.

I will eat an orange and an apple and a banana and watermelon and cherries and ugli fruit over cookies, cakes, ice cream, brownies, etc, not only because there are many nutrients in fruit (vitamins, fiber, juice, refreshment and sweetness), and also because they really taste good and satisfy my sweet tooth without having to eat processed sugary snacks for that reason.

Are cookies, cakes, brownies and ice cream considered processed if I make them myself?
    Considering only extremes exist in the world, these would be processed.:smile:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Chewing is a process, by the time any of this food hits your belly, it's processed. I'm eating a damned cookie if I want one. Or a banana if I want one. They both have sugar. Perfectly fine either way.

PROCESSED - meaning desserts and sweets and things other than fruit usually made with white sugar - the stuff that I crave being a sugar addict that made me fat. (cookies, cake, brownies, pastries, etc.. For YOU ,, you might be able to eat that, but for me, I'm doing well without.)

Processed has nothing to do with desserts made with white sugar. Processed has to do with any food that goes through a process that takes it from its natural state to something else. Milk is processed. Boxed pasta is processed. Every frozen and canned food is processed. Bread is processed.

hell steak is processed when the cow is butchered...
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Why in the hell am I over here under Food and Nutrition?????

I like sugar.

Cuz sugar is foodz.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Interesting read. Thanks!
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options

Very simplistic view. There are many more reasons, depending on individuals hormones, insulin etc. Some foods like sugar can be root cause of the gain. The way I look at it, no one really knows what the heck goes inside an individual. Every needs to get off a theory and do whats best for them.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Very simplistic view. There are many more reasons, depending on individuals hormones, insulin etc. Some foods like sugar can be root cause of the gain. The way I look at it, no one really knows what the heck goes inside an individual. Every needs to get off a theory and do whats best for them.

^ lol…thats all I got...
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Um, it was a question, not an attack on you or your decisions. I was curious as to where the line was drawn. Every time one of these discussions comes up someone starts talking about processed sweets, and I was trying to determine what the real issue is. Processed means different things to different people on this forum.
  • ashley11scott
    ashley11scott Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    sugar is my weakness hate it
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    The article doesn't distinguish over consumption of sugar vs over consumption of calories in general. When someone over consumes and as a result becomes obese, it's likely that they're over consuming fat and sugar, and not usually protein. It's the sustained over consumption of calories and resulting obesity that causes the health problems at a biological problem. The body does not handle excess stored fat well and that is what is unhealthy, a single macronutrient is not to blame.

This is what irritates me about all of these kinds of articles and the studies that are done from which the articles are written...and these stupid threads. Seems like the vast majority of these studies are all, "we gave people a gazillion grams of sugar every day...bad things happened....guess sugar is the devil."

Never mind the fact that if someone is eating sugar (or saturated fat or whatever some study is trying to link disease and causality to) in those quantities then they are obviously not getting anything resembling proper nutrition or a balanced diet. But rather than concluding that excess is the real issue and moderation and balance and proper nutrition is the solution...it just turns into X is bad and is killing you so it's just best to stay away from X and just eat Y...that is until they also determine that Y is bad for you...but what they won't tell you is that Y is perfectly fine for you...it's just bad in the absence of X.

I swear, the deeper I get into nutrition and fitness the less relevant I find any of these studies to really be.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    sugar is my weakness hate it

Then wouldn't it be more accurate to say:
    sugar is my weakness [because I] love it.
    ?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    The article doesn't distinguish over consumption of sugar vs over consumption of calories in general. When someone over consumes and as a result becomes obese, it's likely that they're over consuming fat and sugar, and not usually protein. It's the sustained over consumption of calories and resulting obesity that causes the health problems at a biological problem. The body does not handle excess stored fat well and that is what is unhealthy, a single macronutrient is not to blame.

This is what irritates me about all of these kinds of articles and the studies that are done from which the articles are written...and these stupid threads. Seems like the vast majority of these studies are all, "we gave people a gazillion grams of sugar every day...bad things happened....guess sugar is the devil."

Never mind the fact that if someone is eating sugar (or saturated fat or whatever some study is trying to link disease and causality to) in those quantities then they are obviously not getting anything resembling proper nutrition or a balanced diet. But rather than concluding that excess is the real issue and moderation and balance and proper nutrition is the solution...it just turns into X is bad and is killing you so it's just best to stay away from X and just eat Y...that is until they also determine that Y is bad for you...but what they won't tell you is that Y is perfectly fine for you...it's just bad in the absence of X.

I swear, the deeper I get into nutrition and fitness the less relevant I find any of these studies to really be.

Because you know (and more importantly, they know) that a study attempting to demonstrate the negative consequences of moderate sugar consumption would almost certainly yield no clear outcome. They have to use an extreme for any chance of a flashy headline...and funding for studies without results <<<<<<<<< funding for studies looking to prove a certain theory with flashy headlines.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options

^ lol…thats all I got...

Probably too hard for you to process. LOL
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Now I want a candy bar...

I haven't had a candy bar in forever. But tomorrow is a five mile day and I'm out of sour patch kids...I could swing a candy bar. Oh, but what kind of get.

I've always been a snickers fan.

Don't have it with water, because too much water can kill you and that's science

I don't drink water, too busy mainline diet soda to be bothered
  • mccindy72
    Options

Lots of us know what goes on inside an individual. Because science.

^ lol…thats all I got...

Probably too hard for you to process. LOL
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    In
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

2010 article vs 2014 article is worth taking into consideration.

Not really when one is an article on Salon.com and the other is an article written by a very well respected nutrition scientist backing up his claims with scientific evidence and published scientific studies, especially when the science on glucose and fructose hasn't changed in 4 years...

who is still not actually a scientist and just a blogger.

salon and aragon are no different in that - in this particular case - they are both mouthpieces for studies, neither has done the research themselves.

That would depend on the credentials of the mouthpieces. Are they qualified to accurately interpret scientific studies, or are they just trying to sell a publication via media sensationalism.

**I am making no assumption either way in this case as I have no idea who wrote the article for salon, I'm simply pointing out that some people are qualified to report on research by others and some are not.