FDA redesigns nutrition panel

jonnythan
jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
Great changes. Much more readable and calorie content as well as servings per container are now featured much more prominently.

EDIT: Potassium content is now mandatory!! This is probably more significant than the panel redesign.

fda_labels_500.png

Replies

• laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    I like the changes! It's nice that they have actual amounts for the Vitamin D, etc.

ETA: they did add potassium, too.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    UGH. THE ALIGNMENT.

RxlPwow.gif
  • EmoJew
    EmoJew Posts: 94 Member
    US nutrition panels always seem so much more simplistic than UK ones to me.
  • jonnythan
    What's wrong with the alignment?
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Great changes. Much more readable and calorie content as well as servings per container are now featured much more prominently. Still doesn't include potassium, sadly.

fda_labels_500.png

New style is on the right? It shows potassium...
  • firstsip

IT'S ALL JUST LEFT.

SpDpM5n.gif
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    I approve this change.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Looks ok.
    I could go with either
  • jonnythan

IT'S ALL JUST LEFT.

SpDpM5n.gif

The percentages are right-aligned ;)
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    We could make a game out of guessing what the item is. My guess is some kind of cereal.
  • jonnythan
    Great changes. Much more readable and calorie content as well as servings per container are now featured much more prominently. Still doesn't include potassium, sadly.

fda_labels_500.png

Oh look at that, it does. Huh.

"Lastly, the labels would make Vitamin D and Potassium counts mandatory, while Vitamins A and C would be optional."

YAY!!
  • firstsip

IT'S ALL JUST LEFT.

SpDpM5n.gif

The percentages are right-aligned ;)

r9TUpey.gif
  • firstsip

fda_labels_500.png

Oh look at that, it does. Huh.

"Lastly, the labels would make Vitamin D and Potassium counts mandatory, while Vitamins A and C would be optional."

YAY!!

Okay, that does make me happy... hopefully MFP can make Vitamin D a trackable micro now, too!
  • TheGirlsATimeBomb
    TheGirlsATimeBomb Posts: 434 Member
    i like it cause it does better display the information, but i can't help but think the old one was more professional, while the new one looks like it was designed by a 3 year old. can't quite pick out why i see that.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Might make the importance of CALORIES and SERVING SIZE more easily understandable for some.

4chan-I-Approve-Meme-2.jpg
  • tayloryay
    tayloryay Posts: 378 Member
    Sad that we have to put the calorie count in 70 pt font because people can't be bothered to read it, but whatever works I guess! I'm sure I'll get used to the new one.
  • Amestris
    Amestris Posts: 152 Member
    i like it cause it does better display the information, but i can't help but think the old one was more professional, while the new one looks like it was designed by a 3 year old. can't quite pick out why i see that.

I feel the same way. I dont know why I get an amateurish feel from the re-design...
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    I'm happy they took out the "calories from fat" that was useless information!
  • TheGirlsATimeBomb
    TheGirlsATimeBomb Posts: 434 Member
    "The FDA is also proposing changes to serving size requirements in an effort to more accurately reflect what people usually eat or drink. For example, if you buy a 20-ounce soda, you're probably not going to stop drinking at the 8-ounce mark. The new rules would require that entire soda bottle to be one serving size -- making calorie counting simpler."

source: http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/27/health/nutrition-labels-changes/

YESSS
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,297 Member
    We need this in the UK