FDA redesigns nutrition panel

Options

Replies

• Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Any idea when this is supposed to start?

I like it, especially the potassium info. Hooray for changes!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Pros: Tries to make it more obvious that the information is for A SERVING and not the whole damned container. Includes Vitamin D and potassium. Finally stops bothering people with the "Calories from fat" nonsense.

Cons: The percentages on the left make me twitchy. Protein is not at the top where it belongs.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I approve this change. I like it.
  • marye2021
    marye2021 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Well alright then. Glad after 20 years with the old design they decide to shake things up a bit.

Based on cnn it's supposed to emphasize calories with serving size as well as sugar intake.

Edit: I looked at the new label again...:embarassed:
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Pros: Tries to make it more obvious that the information is for A SERVING and not the whole damned container. Includes Vitamin D and potassium. Finally stops bothering people with the "Calories from fat" nonsense.

Cons: The percentages on the left make me twitchy. Protein is not at the top where it belongs.

Agreed.

Calories at the very top

Protein to follow

Fat to follow
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    i like it cause it does better display the information, but i can't help but think the old one was more professional, while the new one looks like it was designed by a 3 year old. can't quite pick out why i see that.

I was thinking the same thing. The information is more prominant but looks a little elementary. :huh:
  • da_bears10089
    Options
    Well alright then. Glad after 20 years with the old design they decide to shake things up a bit.

Based on cnn it's supposed to emphasize calories with serving size as well as sugar intake. I mean I get the calories, but I don't see anything special about the sugar

well sugar is the devil of course...

PROCESSED sugar that is, because you know, that is completely different from natural sugar.
  • da_bears10089
    Options
    i like it cause it does better display the information, but i can't help but think the old one was more professional, while the new one looks like it was designed by a 3 year old. can't quite pick out why i see that.

I was thinking the same thing. The information is more prominant but looks a little elementary. :huh:

all they need to do is change it to Comic Sans font and you're good to go!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Yes! I am definitely happiest about the requirement for potassium. :drinker:
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    It'll take a little getting used to, but I don't hate it!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I like it. I totally approve.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options

From what I saw on CBS This Morning, they are announcing it now and have a 90 day comment period for people to weigh in on it (I don't know where we do that, probably something on an FDA website) before finalizing it.

So for those of you who want protein at the top, let them know, maybe they'll listen. :laugh:

I do like that they have added sugars listed. Maybe people will stop freaking out because they're over sugar after an apple and a banana.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    I like it...

se87tc.jpg
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    The new one looks better to me. What I think is dumb about it, though, it that sugar isn't displayed more boldly! I suspect this may have something to do with sugar/corn syrup corporate power. Anyway, hopefully this will help people who have trouble reading the small print of the current labels, or who are in a rush, see what they are eating a little better.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

From what I saw on CBS This Morning, they are announcing it now and have a 90 day comment period for people to weigh in on it (I don't know where we do that, probably something on an FDA website) before finalizing it.

So for those of you who want protein at the top, let them know, maybe they'll listen. :laugh:

I do like that they have added sugars listed. Maybe people will stop freaking out because they're over sugar after an apple and a banana.

I wonder if MFP will consider a redesign to the food diary now so that people can distinguish between added sugars and natural sugars.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    Sad that we have to put the calorie count in 70 pt font because people can't be bothered to read it, but whatever works I guess! I'm sure I'll get used to the new one.

I think you hit the nail on the head - this redesign is probably more for people who are not already used to looking for the information so may it catches their eye, and they pay attention instead of those of us who have trained ourselves to look for that info.

I think it's a good change.

And now I want some cereal. Anyone try that Honey Nut Cheerios Medley Crunch?
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Sad that we have to put the calorie count in 70 pt font because people can't be bothered to read it, but whatever works I guess! I'm sure I'll get used to the new one.

I think you hit the nail on the head - this redesign is probably more for people who are not already used to looking for the information so may it catches their eye, and they pay attention instead of those of us who have trained ourselves to look for that info.

I think it's a good change.

And now I want some cereal. Anyone try that Honey Nut Cheerios Medley Crunch?

I haven't tried it yet. However, I tried the chocolate ones. Would recommend, especially if you mix them with the multi-grain.
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options

I wonder if MFP will consider a redesign to the food diary now so that people can distinguish between added sugars and natural sugars.

this would be excellent.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I'd have put the %DV column on the right, where it belongs, but other than that, it looks OK.

It also seems they have increased the amount of Dietary fiber we are supposed to eat. On the left, 4g is 16%; on the right, the same 4g is 14%.

And is there no DV for protein?
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    i *do* like how big the number for calories is. kind of like a slap in the face ;) but i agree, potassium content is good. i'm not supposed to have a ton, for whatever reason. so this is good.