FDA redesigns nutrition panel

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Disagree. It will take me a while to get used to it. :ohwell:

ETA: not to mention increasing food costs even more...
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    "The FDA is also proposing changes to serving size requirements in an effort to more accurately reflect what people usually eat or drink. For example, if you buy a 20-ounce soda, you're probably not going to stop drinking at the 8-ounce mark. The new rules would require that entire soda bottle to be one serving size -- making calorie counting simpler."

source: http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/27/health/nutrition-labels-changes/

YESSS

Agree... and they need to make girl scout cookie servings "1 tube". Who eats 4 cookies?

I only eat 3-4 at once. I would have to have some serious munchies to eat a whole tube, and then I would feel sick, I think. Back in the day I could have, but not anymore.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    Larger calorie font is great. Makes it easy to decide whether or not I'd consider buying something.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    What's wrong with the alignment?

IT'S ALL JUST LEFT.

SpDpM5n.gif

^^ SO Agree!!!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    "The FDA is also proposing changes to serving size requirements in an effort to more accurately reflect what people usually eat or drink. For example, if you buy a 20-ounce soda, you're probably not going to stop drinking at the 8-ounce mark. The new rules would require that entire soda bottle to be one serving size -- making calorie counting simpler."

source: http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/27/health/nutrition-labels-changes/

YESSS

Agree... and they need to make girl scout cookie servings "1 tube". Who eats 4 cookies?
    but I dislike making Vit A and C optional

Do you normally have problems hitting A & C? I always find I'm absurdly over the %DV.

Vitamin C, not usually. Vitamin A, yes.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Costs??
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    The only complaint I have is... I would really like to see them put the caloric count for the whole package if there is more than one serving in it... granted I myself, may enter it into MFP and know... but it's not that hard to put back a box of mac and cheese all by one's self... even I can do that if I'm hungry enough.... or what about a can of pringles... it's not hard to knock one of those back either... and they have more than one serving in it.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    And now I want some cereal. Anyone try that Honey Nut Cheerios Medley Crunch?

Not yet! Report back if you try it!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Costs??

Right. They will have to redesign labels. You think the money fairy is paying for it?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    And now I want some cereal. Anyone try that Honey Nut Cheerios Medley Crunch?

Not yet! Report back if you try it!

I have that now, actually. It's good :bigsmile:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    They're also increasing serving sizes on the labels too.

Rigger

^^ This is a good thing. Most people can't multiply 3 digit numbers in their head, and they ain't stoppin' 'til it's empty!
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I love the new requirement for potassium, will have to update several of my nutritional info's for things as that gets added in.

The format kills me, I don't mind the percentages being on the left, but the column header clearly says %'s, they didn't need to add a percentage after every number as well.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Costs??

Right. They will have to redesign labels. You think the money fairy is paying for it?

The fda designed it. Food companies redesign packages constantly. This is more than negligible in terms of cost, and it gives more info.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

Costs??

The fda designed it. Food companies redesign packages constantly. This is more than negligible in terms of cost, and it gives more info.

According to the CNN article they would have two years to implement the change once it is adopted. I cant imagine that changing the label would have any cost at the next package redesign.

"With this announcement, the FDA has opened a 90-day comment period, during which experts and members of the public can provide input on the proposed rules. The FDA will then issue a final rule. Officials said they hope to complete the process this year.
    Manufacturing companies will then have two years to implement the changes."
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Well I hate the new design. I used to rely on calories from fat, and now there is no possible way to determine that. Because math is hard, and I just don't bother with the advanced stuff like multiplications and percentages and stuff.

Edited to Jonnythan's well-taken point
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Well I hate the new design. I used to rely on %calories from fat, and now there is no possible way to determine that. Because math is hard, and I just don't bother with the advanced stuff like multiplications and percentages and stuff.
    Just kidding; misread post.

I made fun of your ability at life for percentages, but I suck worse because reading. :sad:
  • jonnythan
    Options
    It didn't give % calories from fat before anyway.
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Well I hate the new design. I used to rely on %calories from fat, and now there is no possible way to determine that. Because math is hard, and I just don't bother with the advanced stuff like multiplications and percentages and stuff.
    Just kidding; misread post.

I made fun of your ability at life for percentages, but I suck worse because reading. :sad:

Well I wholly endorse the original intent behind your initial post! :bigsmile:

ETA: and doubly endorse your profile pic!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Costs??

I can tell you don't work in manufacturing. :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Costs??

According to the CNN article they would have two years to implement the change once it is adopted. I cant imagine that changing the label would have any cost at the next package redesign.

"With this announcement, the FDA has opened a 90-day comment period, during which experts and members of the public can provide input on the proposed rules. The FDA will then issue a final rule. Officials said they hope to complete the process this year.
    Manufacturing companies will then have two years to implement the changes."

Two years seems a fair amount of time. But yes, any design change is going to have a cost associated with it. Someone gets paid, and probably at $25+/hr (if they are CAD) to redesign it. Depending on the manufacturer, the cost could be small or it could be large. I know a water bottling company that nearly went out of business (had to restructure costs, etc.) when the labeling thing first came in. (And why should water need to say anything except, "WATER"? :laugh:) Any cost increase could potentially increase price because of the volatility in the current food market, which is crazy right now.