Replies

• kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Really? Disgusting habit.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Definitely unprofessional - front office or behind the scenes.

It's one thing to kick your shoes off under your desk, but a completely different thing to be barefoot in the office all day.
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    Oh wow, can't be done at my work. There are too many body fluids that get splashed on the floor. When I get home I take those poor shoes off and put them in a box so they can't contaminate anything. But I am always barefoot in my home. Yep.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Any of you girls out there ever take your shoes off and spend the day barefoot at work?

I have done it for the last two years. It happened by accident after wearing a pair of flats to work and walking in the rain they became damp and uncomfortable so I decided to take them off at my desk, since then I have spent every day at work with no shoes on.

It feels nice and my feet are not restricted. The carpet isn't that clean in fact recently there has been a few fleas bouncing around and people are getting bites, even saw one jumping and running off my foot once lol but that's the cleaners at fault not me.

Before you all say im a minger and disgusting I will have you all know i'm a clean person and shower daily, I just prefer to wear no shoes as it helps me concentrate...my feet get quite dirty but like I said I always shower.

I work in the back office department of a bank, we never get any visitors we are cut off from general public, I wouldn't do this if we always got visitors.

Anymore of you out there like me that have this quirky habit?
    Hopefully you at least wear them when you go into the restroom.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    There are fleas in the carpet and you say it's the fault of the cleaners? You really think vacuuming will remove fleas? The whole place will have to be treated. Ever had a flea bite? Keep up with the bare feet and when you get one you'll never do it again. Chances are you've brought those fleas home, if they weren't brought in by you. :noway:
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I do it at my desk sometimes.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If I'm wearing shoes I can slip on and off, I don't wear them at my desk and sometimes leave them off to walk to the printer directly behind my desk. Otherwise, I slip them back on to go away from my desk.

It would be really weird and unprofessional to not wear shoes around the office.

this.

I even unzip my tall boots and am bootless under my desk. And I walk in my little area in my socks- but I wouldn't go anywhere actually barefoot.

plus fleas? at work?

seriously. gross. I had fleas at my house and I remember finding 2 at different times that I brought with me- I freaked out- I was so upset and unhappy. nope nope nope.

fortunately it was never an issue- but still super gross.
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I wear flip flops to work a lot and always kick them off under my desk. I usually slip them back on before I get up from my chair unless it's just to get water. Love it!!
  • proofnegative
    Options
    I own a business that I am turning into a full call center with staff, in addition to my radio gig I have now.

As someone who despises shoes, the dress code is "shoes optional".

Having worked in various call centers & such, I am fed up with how most jobs focus more on shoes than any other item of dress code. In some cases, management spend the WHOLE DAY looking for shoe dress code violators.

The average woman HATES wearing shoes all day. Why would I yell at someone who is being productive and making me money because their foot is touching the ground? Or someone walked 7 steps to the printer, got a contract, and walked back to their desk wearing Wonder Women socks? If someone's sandal breaks, why send them home if our phones are backed up 20 minutes? There are no "health codes", "insurance codes", "fire codes", or "state laws" in relation to having an office of phone workers and admin in regards to shoes. I have done all the paperwork...

It also helps that I am a member of the Society For Barefoot Living http://www.barefooters.org .

It will be stenciled on the front of the door of our policy.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    I would have an issue going to any workplace as a customer, client, patient, etc. and seeing staff barefoot. It is unprofessional, unsafe and unsanitary. I sometimes slip my shoes off under my desk but would never leave the desk area without shoes. If you're completely out of the public eye, work in a place where the floor never has spills or trash, and trust your co-workers' health and hygiene, go for it.

I am constantly in the public eye and my workplace does not allow no shoes - so its a no from me.

But not seeing how it is unsanitary - other than in hospitals etc or unsafe in areas that require safety boots for OHS reasons.

Unless your co workers are spitting on the floor, not sure how their health and hygiene impacts here.
  • BruinsLeafs718
    Options
    not barefoot... but shoeless... at least when im on my desk post
  • SwashBlogger
    SwashBlogger Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Definitely unprofessional - front office or behind the scenes.

It's one thing to kick your shoes off under your desk, but a completely different thing to be barefoot in the office all day.

Yes. Unprofessional and unsanitary. It feels good to go braless, too. But I don't recommend it in the workplace. Sheesh.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Once in awhile I take my shoes off for maybe 20-30 minutes.
  • WreckaRed
    WreckaRed Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    When I worked I would always kick my shoes off after I got back to the office from seeing my patients. There were only a few of us that worked there, and our office was like a little apartment, not to mention I was the one who generally cleaned it.
  • cobysev
    cobysev Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I currently have a broken ankle in a cast, so whether I want it or not, at least one of my feet is bare all the time. It's only exposed from the ball of my foot to my toes, but still...

I'm borderline OCD, so I hate touching the filthy office floor with my exposed foot. I do my best to clean my exposed foot daily, especially since I can't get the cast wet. I'm tired of dangling my leg out of the bath tub every morning. :grumble:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I worked in an animal hospital so barefoot was not an option. Stockinged feet however, was quite common when we left the treatment table & sat around the break room. Not to walk around though.

These days, I'm in and out the house all day, as soon as I get into the car, off come the flip flops. As soon as I come into the house, same thing.

About those fleas....sprinkle some flea powder on the carpet at night before you leave, the cleaners will vacuum it up & it might help to alleviate the incidence of bites.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I have to wear shoes...b/c I have foot issues. I don't see an issue with going shoeless if you are in a backroom type setting. It's a little gross to me...even with socks on. I don't care if other people are wearing just socks, BUT I'm too afraid of picking up some virus (like warts) from a dirty floor.

I was an elementary school teacher and this one ridiculous teacher would take her shoes/socks off. First off, there are staples and sharp crap stuck in the carpet. Second off, my students would ask me if they could take their shoes off, b/c the other teacher was barefoot. Now, she was setting a very bad example for the kids.
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I find it unprofessional be it amongst colleagues or customers but I'm an uptight Brit lol.

second that. I actually find it annoying people go barefoot at work, or wear flip-flops.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    About those fleas...you can bring them home with you, ya know :sick: I'd be more concerned about the fleas :blushing:
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I keep my shoes off at my desk and in my office! but if I need to go across the hall I will put them back on.