Barefoot in the office

Options

Replies

• penelopeyvonne
    penelopeyvonne Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I find it unprofessional be it amongst colleagues or customers but I'm an uptight Brit lol.

I find it very unprofessional as well and I'm American.

I have never worked in an office where this would be allowed, quite frankly. And I have worked in some very casual and laid-back companies. To me it seems very risky health-wise. Ugh.

Thank GOD someone echoed my thoughts! I would never dream of taking my shoes off at work because I would never FEEL professional (let alone it not being professional). I'd never wear jeans to work either, even for "dress-down Fridays" (hated those!!).

I currently work in a College (my own office, too) but I've worked in some pretty darn' corporate places and it would get seriously frowned on there ... not sure my boss would appreciate it here, either!!
  • lolalament
    lolalament Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have slippers at work
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I'll occasionally take my shoes off while I'm at my desk, but I definitely don't walk the hallways barefoot. I work at a law firm, and that's not exactly professional. I also take my shoes off to do a 10-minute mini-HIIT routine in my office at the beginning of my lunch break.

At home, I'm either wearing socks or I'm barefoot. Usually, if I'm in shorts I'm barefoot, but I wear socks with pajama pants. And shorts vs. pants isn't determined by anything other than how recently I shaved my legs. :)
  • JGonzo82
    JGonzo82 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I can kick my shoes off underneath my desk when I'm just working at my computer, but OSHA regulations say I not only have to wear shoes, but closed-toe shoes due to the machinery, chemicals, etc, if I go out into the factory area.

at home though? barefoot for sure.
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I'm always barefoot at work
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I always take my shoes off under the desk. I have a yoga bolster that I rest my feet on - it helps me stretch out my achilles and plantar tendons and prevents some orthopedic issues I have with my feet. I don't like putting shoes on the bolster because it causes more wear and tear on the fabric. When I have to get up and walk around, I have a pair of Olukai flip-flops I can throw on.

My workplace is very casual.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    The only time I regularly took my shoes off at work was when I was pregnant and all my shoes were so tight. My puffy ankles needed a break!

I also find it unprofessional to take shoes off at work, even if it is in your own office. But then again, this is coming from a person who would never wear sandals, flip-flops, or any kind of open toe shoes at the office. I think my military history is talking.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I take my shoes off at my desk and have been known to walk over to the next cube without them to answer a quick question but I make sure they are on if I go any farther than that or if I'm going to be away from my desk for more than a few seconds.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    Definitely unprofessional - front office or behind the scenes.

It's one thing to kick your shoes off under your desk, but a completely different thing to be barefoot in the office all day.

Yes. Unprofessional and unsanitary. It feels good to go braless, too. But I don't recommend it in the workplace. Sheesh.

I have asked this already upthread but got no answer - how is it unsanitary?
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Does anyone go to work bare naked?

I do yard work naked sometimes....
  • DBoone85
    Options

It's one thing to kick your shoes off under your desk, but a completely different thing to be barefoot in the office all day.

Yes. Unprofessional and unsanitary. It feels good to go braless, too. But I don't recommend it in the workplace. Sheesh.

Its no more unsanitary than walking on a beach barefoot, or walking in your yard barefoot. Some people just have an aversion to feet in general.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    That's just sily, why would I be barefoot in an office?? Everybody knows women can't leave the kitchen.
  • CallMeRuPaul
    CallMeRuPaul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I personally don't do that, but a couple of co-workers do. I also don't like people at work clipping/filing their nails and it's gone as far as people coming their hair or brushing their beard/goatee's in meetings. I work for the Federal government and we are not supposed to wear jeans unless it's on a Friday, but we are never to wear open-toed shoes, t-shirts or hats. you'd be surprised at how many ladies wear open-toed shoes or sandals and we have a couple of guys that wear mandels!
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Shoes off if my feet are under my desk, shoes on if I have to walk around.

:drinker:
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options

Its no more unsanitary than walking on a beach barefoot, or walking in your yard barefoot. Some people just have an aversion to feet in general.

Yes I agree - and I certainly go barefoot at home and on the beach.

But several posters have claimed it is unsanitary in the office - but no one has explained why this is so.
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • emmanap91
    emmanap91 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Of course, as many have pointed out, it depends on where you work.

That said, even if I could get away with it, I wouldn't. I've caught warts and ringworm and other nasty things from being barefoot and/or borrowing shoes, so I do not go barefoot outside of my own home or the grass in my yard. Plus I think feet are gross and I wouldn't want to be subjected to my boss's [probably nasty] feet, so I wouldn't subject him to mine.
  • DBoone85
    Options
    Does anyone go to work bare naked?

I do yard work naked sometimes....

It isn't safe to do yard work in such fashion, you could get bit in unwanted places by bugs.

Has not happened yet.....
  • helsbelshms
    helsbelshms Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I often don't wear shoes when going to the car, in the garden and have been known to take them off on nights out too (:noway: :ohwell: ) so taking them off at work is no big deal to me. However, we have a very strict shoe policy (they dictate the type of shoes we can wear), so taking them off under the desk is fine but they must go back on to walk anywhere. However, I won't let me feet touch the carpet, I've seen their method of cleaning and throwing a bucket of water on it would be more effective.
  • DBoone85
    Options
    I often don't wear shoes when going to the car, in the garden and have been known to take them off on nights out too (:noway: :ohwell: ) so taking them off at work is no big deal to me. However, we have a very strict shoe policy (they dictate the type of shoes we can wear), so taking them off under the desk is fine but they must go back on to walk anywhere. However, I won't let me feet touch the carpet, I've seen their method of cleaning and throwing a bucket of water on it would be more effective.

So, your work floor is dirtier than your garden?