Beachbody's 21 Day Fix- Don't count calories?!

Options

Replies

• FitOvation
    Options
    It works great! A bunch of us are on the 21day fix right now and it's amazing! The containers are brilliant! The key is making sure you get a wide variety of nutrition and balancing your meals with the foods you combine and the timing. People are dropping weight!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    It's just another gimmick to restrict your calorie intake. You can get the same results with a food scale and hitting your macros. For free. :smile:

You forgot to add "and take your money$$".

This always makes me laugh when people talk about Beachbody "taking your money". Uh what about the money people spend on other exercise DVD's, gyms, fitness classes, workout equipment, supplements, etc. Yeah, Beachbody is the ONLY company that takes people's money in fitness and weight loss. :huh:

so a gym membership is a gimmick?

i'd say PF is awfully close to a gimick lol

touché...

but I would take PF over a beach body program ....

have you tried one? sweating profusely is usually not a gimick, unless your in a sauna
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    you can call it magic if you'd like :-)
    i just call it educating myself. playing detective for over 6 months and then just kept it up. even now, i can lose inches without exercise if i want to. but, i try not to do that.
    i do like exercise and owning a BB program is STILL cheaper than EITHER of my gym memberships ( i pay 240/ year for a gym i never even go to anymore) and way cheaper than my personal trainer was, LOL!
    And I love the Shakeology, mainly because of the variety of flavors, but also because it tastes better than more other brands out there. and doesn't have processed sugar in it. since being on it i have been able to drop about 5 supplements i was taking daily, AND my cramps during my period have totally disappeared. I never bloat anymore, AND the best part, it has totally regulated my cycle! I'm every 4 weeks like clock work. I had been all over the place for over a year and it was driving me nuts!!! So, to me the investment is worth it. and it's easy. :-)

Um... That still means your in a caloric deficit...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    To me, anything you can get for free is not worth paying for. This is just a glorified "MyPlate" with the same issues that MyPlate has. MFP is free and much more reliable.

As for the workouts, why would I pay for an expensive set of DVDs when I have the internet, a set of free weights, and the outdoors? I don't even go to the gym since my fitness needs do not require anything sophisticated, just some cardio (walking/jogging/cycling) and some weight training (free weight and my my own weight). It's been working beautifully so far.
  • SuzeQFIT
    SuzeQFIT Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    how many containers you get in a day is based on a range of how many calories you need - so you may get 3 of the protein or 4...
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options

As for the workouts, why would I pay for an expensive set of DVDs when I have the internet, a set of free weights, and the outdoors? I don't even go to the gym since my fitness needs do not require anything sophisticated, just some cardio (walking/jogging/cycling) and some weight training (free weight and my my own weight). It's been working beautifully so far.

Good for you. To each thier own. If other people like dvd workouts then that's what they like and it has nothing to do with you.
  • dominiquefiscus
    Options
    It gives you specific calories needed each day.
  • kmiller74
    Options
    I just started my 2nd round of 21 day fix and love it. It changed the way I look at food! I learned that I was way off on my portion sizes. They are now under control and I've lost 10 pounds so far with this program. I am stronger this time around too. Not as many modifications. I highly recommend it. The key to any weight reduction is portion, exercise and prep. I always have my day's meals planned out and ready to go. If I'm hungry I grab something I prepped already and I know
    I am good for the day.
  • dyannajoy
    dyannajoy Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Beachbody has a new workout out called 21 Day Fix.

Autumn Calabrese claims that you don't need to count calories if you follow her system.

If you buy the program it comes with 7 color-coded containers and each color stands for something:

Veggies
    Fruits
    Protein
    Carbs
    Healthy Fats and Cheese
    Seeds and Oils
    Shakeology Cup

She says you can what you want everyday but it has to fit into the containers. So fill the containers with food for the day and thats what you get to eat.

The protein container is quite small....

I'm curious as to what people think about this.

Could this actually work?

Edit: I might be reading it wrong though, I think she means fill up each container for each meal. I'm not sure,.

Hi, yes it works!! It is the first thing in years that actually feels like something I can do for the rest of my life. I was so scared to try it, especially eating 3 carbs a day, but I felt like I had nothing to lose and it was inexpensive. And although I ate healthy, I struggled with portion control. I HATE counting calories, carbs, weighing and measuring. I needed a REAL idea of what I could eat without making it complicated. For me anyway, this has been working beautifully. I do have 50 lbs to lose so my results may be different from someone with only 10-20 lbs to lose. But so far in 11 days, I have lost 9 lbs. AND I am eating more food that I have in forever. But it is all healthy, nutrient dense food. And although the containers look small, that is deceiving as it really is alot of GOOD healthy food. I eat 4 veggie servings per day. 3 fruits, 4 proteins, 3 carbs and 1 dairy/nut, 1 seeds/fats and 4 tsp healthy oil. I eat 4-6 times a day. I LOVE IT! I also exercise everyday, but do not do the videos that came with the kit as they are too hard for me at this point. Have I said, I love it! LOL
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    So you have to crumble your bread and waffles and cut up your meat and veggies to fit into the containers? That sounds restrictive of the kinds of meals you can make. I would rather have a beautiful broiled fish, stuffed whole peppers... etc

If it's just meant as a comparison without actually needing to measure things in them wouldn't the good old "deck of cards, dice, ping pong ball..." method be cheaper and easier to compare?

Measuring, to me, offers more freedom and less hassle as it's accurate and only takes a few seconds.
  • dyannajoy
    dyannajoy Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    So you have to crumble your bread and waffles and cut up your meat and veggies to fit into the containers? That sounds restrictive of the kinds of meals you can make. I would rather have a beautiful broiled fish, stuffed whole peppers... etc

If it's just meant as a comparison without actually needing to measure things in them wouldn't the good old "deck of cards, dice, ping pong ball..." method be cheaper and easier to compare?

Measuring, to me, offers more freedom and less hassle as it's accurate and only takes a few seconds.

Because some of us are deficient with understanding the size of a deck of card or a ping pong ball. To me it looks like a small book and a baseball LOL! You know, the old "different strokes for different folks". Whatever works for YOU, I support!!
  • bigbadbubz
    Options
    Bottom line here is,whichever way you put it , if you want too loose weight, Move your body and restrict calorie intake....Eat clean if you want too be lean !
  • jennifer87402
    jennifer87402 Posts: 57 Member
    Options

THe bread goes of course in the yellow container and instead of crumbling it she says 1 slice is 1 container.
    as for the fish you 1 red is APPROX 4 oz but on some meats its 6 oz and the veggies youd measure before.
    Its not really that hard
    I love it since I never ever learned portion control and this teaches Fast and well and I love the quick workouts that are still really basic and Good.
  • ojoyraynes
    ojoyraynes Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i tried it and i followed it to the letter, but I did not do shakeology. I cant afford 129 a month. If i buy that I would not have any money left for the food. I bet i could lose weight if that is all ate in a day. I lost a couple of pounds. I am 10lbs from my goal. I think it works best for people who are overweight or who just want a little amount of weight. One also has to eat 5-6 times a day. i found myself thinking about meals through out the day. i think it prevents you from taking your mind off food. i am going to go back to ole fashioned calorie counting. It did make me think about food differently though.
  • lorenlaustin
    lorenlaustin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    According to what I have found (and PLEASE correct me if I am wrong), the 21Day Fix figures your caloric intake like so:
    Multiply your base weight x 11, then add 400 calories ("fix calorie burn"), which will give you your "caloric need", and from that, subtract 750 calories, which will give you your "target calories".

Well, if you weigh 250 pounds to begin, this gives you a daily caloric intake "need" of 2400 calories? How can one lose weight on that many calories??
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I guess it can help people get the basics of nutrition, but I get tired of the basics very soon :laugh: An expensive version of the MyPlate I think it is too. It looks like an easy way to teach people to eat better, and not obsess, and that's fine, and well spent 100 bucks, but MFP offers more freedom and precision at the same time, and there is no reason that calorie counting should lead to eating disorders. On the contrary, I have a more healthy relationship with food after I started on MFP.
  • st0rmagedd0n
    st0rmagedd0n Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    So, how are you supposed to cook on this? Do I shove the ingredients for my pasta/chicken/salad/sandwich into the little boxes and then make it? What if I'm cooking with friends and family?

Am I supposed to shove Aunt Edna aside at the stove, steal the jambalaya ingredients, and start cramming them into my rainbow boxes with wild abandon?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    So, how are you supposed to cook on this? Do I shove the ingredients for my pasta/chicken/salad/sandwich into the little boxes and then make it? What if I'm cooking with friends and family?

Am I supposed to shove Aunt Edna aside at the stove, steal the jambalaya ingredients, and start cramming them into my rainbow boxes with wild abandon?
    Yes, I think that's how it's supposed to work! And that's why I personally find the MyPlate so useless :tongue:
  • swertyqwerty
    swertyqwerty Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    ALL the info about the 21 day fix diet part of the program is easily found online by google in various blogs, pinterest and reviews etc.. There really isn't much to the diet program so it's inevitable that all pertinent details about it have been leaked out online.
    The exercise you could probably sub with any other workout that challenges you and is the same length of time.
    Thinking of trying it tomorrow, for free. I hate calorie counting so maybe this is an alternative.
  • awolf2011
    awolf2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is a coach now because she has lost 65 lbs doing this program. She just repeats it at the end of the 21 days. She has been doing the program since April. She was a full-time student (now is a state-licensed RN) caring for twins and she managed to follow the diet plan 95% of the time. She looks amazing. I agree that these can be very expensive and I did Google it and found some cheat sheets on what the approximate size of the containers are and how many each day you get. I like the concept because portion control is an issue for a lot of people, including myself. I'm going to try my own version of the plan since I roughly know the quantity that fits into each of the containers. I have plenty of containers at home that I can use and a lot of workout plans that can be substituted for those that come with the plan. People really shouldn't bash something that may work for others. Some need to have these plans to help them ease into portion control and working out regularly and eating healthier. I say whatever works to hit their goal!!