is asparagus good? i need recipes

Options
124»

Replies

• Malaylah
    Malaylah Posts: 32
    Options
    I boil mine, drain it then wrap sliced roast beef around each one and soak it in a little fig flavoured balsamic. Sooo good and low cal with protein!
  • Arranna1212
    Arranna1212 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Asparagus kinda reminds me of corn on the cob...? But with a slightly different taste. I've always make a tin foil steam bag and steamed it with garlic powder, onion powder, onion, pepper, salt and a tiny bit of bacon. Twas delicious.
  • Daisyisacat
    Options
    Whether or not you can smell the effect depends on your genes maybe you will be one of the lucky ones that can't.
  • MustangSally2008
    MustangSally2008 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    they say that asparagus is great and removes toxins from the body... that's why your pee stinks.
  • LadyRedAce
    Options
    A good way to cook asparagus is i like to cook in in 1 tbsp of olive oil butter, and mince 2 gloves of garlic add everything together in a saucepan and cover it.. let it cook for 10-15 min (stirring occasionally) depending how crunchy you like it.. Enjoy!
  • VioletNightshade
    Options
    I love asparagus. It's one of my favourite vegetables.

I keep grilled asparagus frozen so I can have it any time.

Some of the ways I use it:
    - chopped up in vegetable soups
    - cut up or lined up in a pan, drizzled with olive oil, add pearl onions (or chopped white onions), rosemary, oregano, cayenne pepper, paprika, garlic powder and Parmesan cheese sprinkled over the top, throw it in the oven for anywhere between 20-45 min (I leave it for some time because I like it "overcooked" and crispy at the tips).
    - nuked (microwaved from frozen) with broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts and peppers and onions and then throw a little bit of soy sauce on there & you're good to go (I take this to work with me for lunch often, and bring a dish of rice pilaf or quinoa. So much yum)
    - in an eggwhite omelet with peppers and onions (some people like to add ham or steak as well. Each to their own, I suppose)
    - in sushi style rolls (steamed) with avocado, bamboo, cucumber, bean sprouts, wrapped in seaweed and rice and then rolled in sesame seeds
  • CAS317
    CAS317 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    How do you know when it's done when using a George Foreman grill? Or do you just leave it on there for a set # of minutes?
  • jalence
    jalence Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    working from the bottom of the spear, bend gently until the end breaks off. If the end doesnt break, work your way up the spear until it breaks. Throw away the part that broke off. It will be woody if you cook it.

Yes! You have to snap them manually. It is actually kinda fun to find the spot where the stalk wants to break. But if you take a short cut of just cutting the ends with a knife you will be rewarded with woody pieces.

I saute them in olive oil with salt, pepper and thyme: Saute over high heat for a couple of minutes, stirring to coat the pieces with the oil, then turn down heat and cover so they steam a little. Maybe 10 minutes total cooking time depending on if you like them more crunchy or soft. Soooooo good! We never have leftovers.
  • 1983ashleigh
    1983ashleigh Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It is one of my favorite foods. Broccoli is not a good comparison, it really has its own distinct taste. I like it grilled, steamed, in my soup, or to accompany any dish.

It really goes well in pasta & that might be a good way for you to start. I prefer the vegetable pasta when I add asparagus to it.

Happy dinning. I hope you love it as much as I do!
  • CLessOfMe2014
    Options
    I boil asparagus til fork tender and drain immediately , add lemon & serve
  • MrsBrown104
    MrsBrown104 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    LOVE asparagus!! I don't think our reciepe is healthy at all tho!! Bake it in oven at 450, for about 15 mins. Cut off the ends, and wash. Place on baking sheet. Put olive oil, salt pepper and shredded parm cheese. sooo good!!
  • Alsvic
    Alsvic Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    cut off 1 inch woody end
    Dip asparagus in beaten egg roll in Panko bread crumbs and grated Parmesan cheese roast on a cookie cooling rack in a sheet pan 400 degrees for 15 minutes.

way healthier than French fries
  • luadams2
    luadams2 Posts: 122
    Options
    Trim the ends, put them in a bag with some olive oil to coat. Add a splash of balsamic vinegar and a big clove of minced garlic. Let that sit on the counter for about a half hour, turning the bag now and then to mix everything up good.

Heat up a grill pan or a big cast iron skillet over medium heat. Once it's hot, spray it with Pam. Then drop the asparagus in the pan in a single layer. Sprinkle with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Cook them for about 6 minutes, shaking the pan or using tongs to make sure the asparagus are cooked on both sides. They should look a little charred. Taste them. If they don't taste cooked enough, cook them a couple of minutes more. They should not be mushy, they should have a firmness, a little bite to them.

Finish with a squirt of fresh lemon juice - a lemon wedge.

Serve them immediately.
  • Peromei
    Peromei Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think asparagus is great; it's one of my favorite vegetables. I have a recipe that I probably found somewhere online, but which I found myself ad libbing the other night when I made it:

Needed:
    - Asparagus
    - 1 tbsp oil
    - Feta cheese
    - 2 eggs
    - Salt/pepper/whatever seasonings you want

Take some asparagus (however much you want) and cut the fibrous, thick ends off: I'd say the edible part should be about 6 or 7 inches. Put a tablespoon of cooking oil (I used coconut) in a pan over med-high heat. Once it's sufficiently hot, add the asparagus and saute for maybe 5 minutes-- until you see it start to "blister". Sprinkle feta over the asparagus, then crack two eggs over the whole thing. Season with salt and black and/or cayenne pepper. Cook until the egg whites are opaque and the yolk is somewhere around soft-boiled (should not spew out when pierced, but not hard). I had to cover the pan with a large lid for the egg to cook to my liking. It's super filling and quite delicious. Additionally, if you like, you can add a dash of lemon juice over the whole thing, but it's not necessary.
  • Deedle7544
    Deedle7544 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I love asparagus and its best just roasted - break it in half by bending, it will snap at the best place. spread out on a cookie sheet and give it a quick spray with olive oil flavored spray, squueze some lemon over it and a little sea salt 3 to 5 minutes at 400 degrees and it is delicious, and low cal