WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2014

Options

Replies

• Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Good morning DeeDee. Your post was done when I finished mine, have a wonderful day. Thank you for the well wishes on the kitchen. I will share pics when it's done. :smile:
  • TheRosyOne
    TheRosyOne Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Good morning, Ladies.. I've found you again! I've been so busy lately that I haven't been consistent with eating well or documenting. Not good... but I'm finding a new determination to get this done.

I don't have much of a support system at home, so I'm also going to come in here more oftem for that. Hope to get to know you all better as we go.

Have to get some things done before I'm off to work, so I'll be back later.

Have a beautiful day, everyone!!!

Rose in AZ
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Well here we are the first day of spring and as I am sitting having my coffee there is the noise of snowblowers all around us outside as the neighbourhood wakes up to another storm there is about 6 inches of white fluffy snow, where is spring:sad:

Was so nice to see the lovely tree pictures at least we know somewhere in the world there is new life
    Congrats too all that have been doing so well and prayers for all in need.

Have to get my day started even with messy driving there are places to go and errands to run,
    Have a great day and enjoy your first day of spring

I too am stuck in plateau land so just have to trudge on at least I am not gaining like in the past

Juanita in sudbury
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning! It looks like another beautiful spring day here.

Yesterday we went to the lake cabin and picked up a full-sized mattress set to take to my son. He has been sleeping on the floor! And we never have guests at the lake, so we really didn't need it there. Anyway, you should have seen the two of us trying to wrangle that bed into the back of the mini-van. It finally went in though! :bigsmile: We will take it to my sons apartment this morning. I just hope it fits in that tiny bedroom. It's more like a walk in closet than a bedroom.

Last night we went to Applebee's for dinner. The service was horrible. It took forever before they brought us any food at all. Then they brought out the main course before we even got our salads, and they were wrong anyway, so we sent those back, then the salads came out and they were wrong. I asked for no bacon, no cucumber, and no croutons so they put on extra of all three. Hubby's salad had the wrong dressing and cucumbers. So they took those back. The meal came with an appetizer, so hubby chose chicken wings. They were almost all breading, but at least he had something to eat. So after another long wait the new salads came out and still had cucumber, (and they took the bacon off hubby's salad too, for some unknown reason) but luckily they were big slices so easy to pick off. We just got started eating the salad when they brought the entrees back out. So there we were at the tiniest table in the place, with five full sized plates and six water glasses. (Water was the only thing they brought us enough of.) The entrees were completely cold and dried out by the time we finished our salads. I had the small sirloin and red potatoes and it was terribly salty. The manager took half off our bill for the inconvenience, but I was really wishing we had just eaten at home. As we were leaving hubby cracked me up, saying "still, it wasn't the WORST service we have ever had at Applebee's." He's right about that. Once the waiter went home and never even turned in our order at all, and nobody else would wait on us. I think they know us as The Picky People.

So I'm not even going to weigh myself this morning. All that salt will surely do a number on my water retention. Today I'll take an extra water pill.

Well, I'd better get around and do something constructive. Have a great day everybody!

Sylvia
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good morning, everyone! There is sunshine outside my window today! Yippee! We need a headstand smiley. Ladies, thank you so much for your support and wonderful advice. I think I am coming out of my dark place now; the depression doesn't seem so looming and close to taking over. Since I'm an oddball in so many ways, I guess no one will be surprised to know that Spring is a trigger for depression for me--just the opposite of 95% of the rest of the population. :happy:

The pictures of the trees are beautiful! I don't know if we're going to have anything blooming around here or not since we are getting the ice and snow so late in the season. My forsythia bush has a few pitiful blooms on it and there are a couple of daffodils blooming. My camellia bush should be blooming, but I haven't noticed it. During mild winters, it blooms all winter!

For those giving up food in the evenings, I applaud you. It has been as late as 9:30 p.m. before I've had the chance to eat dinner this week! I guess it's been sort of a good thing that my tummy has been mad at me for the abuse of Sunday night so that I haven't been as hungry. It was after 8 p.m. before I got to eat last night. I ate more than I probably should have BUT I did it consciously. I had over 1,000 calories left to consume when I left work and I walked over a mile after that, so I treated myself to a Newman's Own margherita pizza. I logged it in advance as eating 1/2 the pizza. Once I finished my 1/2 pizza (and, I ate it slowly!), I waited a few minutes to see if I was still hungry before I ate the rest of it. It was delicious!! I really miss pizza and was VERY pleasantly surprised that there were only 280 calories for 1/3 of the pizza. On another day, when I'm not so late getting dinner, I would be satisfied/full with only 1/2. I still ended the day with over 200 calories left.

I wish I could remember the things each of you said, but my mind is not that good, so I will just say thank you, again!

DeeDee, I am so glad to find someone else who has male friends! Some folks think that it's really odd and that it can't truly be a friendship but my experience proves otherwise. I am definitely straight :bigsmile: , but I like a lack of drama in friendships.

Wish me luck! I get to call the school and talk to the guidance department about my son. The woman doesn't return phone calls or emails for two months then expects me to drop everything the second she finally calls. I will be nice, though. :wink:

Have a great day!

Carol in sunny NC
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    Good morning everyone; Hope everyone will do something nice for themselves today! :flowerforyou:
    Cynthia

I wish there was a like button. Going to take your advice :smile:
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Happy Spring! It's finally here. :flowerforyou:

I took a little walk down memory lane this morning in my blog post. I lost my first husband to suicide. This is part of the reason why "constant kindness" is becoming so important to me now. I've put a link this time instead of copy/pasting. Feel free to read if you like.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jb_2011/view/a-certain-kind-of-spring-641062

Wonderful wishes for a fantastic day!

:smile: jb in frosty, some blue sky Portland
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    We just finished moving the bed into my son's apartment, and it fits beautifully! He was so happy with it! So I'm happy too.

Here is today's Joke of the Day:

:happy:

A young man at this construction site was bragging that he could outdo anyone based on his strength. He especially made fun of one of the older workman. After several minutes, the older worker had enough.

"Why don't you put your money where you mouth is?" he said. "I'll bet a week's wages that I can haul something in a wheelbarrow over to the other building that you won't be able to wheel back."

"You're on, old man," the young man replied. "Let's see what you've got."

The old man reached out and grabbed the wheelbarrow by the handles. Then nodding to the young man, he said with a smile, "All right. Get in."

:bigsmile:

Sylvia
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,297 Member
    Options
    Just been to the doctor's and he recommended an x-ray. It's walk- in, so I will do that tomorrow or next week. Then will see him after Easter. He also gave me a form to note my home blood pressure figures as I am always high on the upper numbers at the surgery. Also have a phone appointment about prescriptions for Monday. So things are at least moving.:bigsmile:

Rang my brother (not in), an old friend, and another old friend this morning , so my blah mood was good for something. I am trying to arrange for one old friend to visit me end of May and the other is going in to hospital on Monday to have a 'sling' put in to hold all her insides up! ! ! She had a hysterectomy 16 yrs ago when I did, but everything has been falling out recently. Yikes! ! ! ! :noway: Puts things in perspective! Just need to see my grandchildren.:sad:

Will bake two focaccias tomorrow. One for us and potential guests and one for a charity fair at the village hall on Saturday. The money is going to a local hospice, something I very much support.

Feeling better for having reached out.:happy:
    Heather in flowery Hampshire UK
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,644 Member
    Options
    Good morning from sunny CA :glasses: it is supposed to be in the middle to high 70's today - which is great but really confusing when we should still be getting rain. Thinking about what to put into my veggie garden - lack of water will be an issue - Another full work day for me, so not too much time to chat :wink:

Jane - congrats on the 2 lb loss ! it is tough to stay on track when traveling - just do your best :happy:

Alison - sorry to hear about FIL - good luck convincing him - it sounds like both FIL and DH have very strong personalities - please please take care of yourself first. Stress can make your body do weird things; just holding at this time might be just what your body needs :flowerforyou:

Heather - Take care, and don't feel unloved- we love you and just think of all the love and friends you enjoyed in Scotland!!! I'd love to have you over for a cup of tea - but the mileage might get in the way! :drinker:

Rose - this is my support system tooナ everyone here is great!

Carol - thinking of you and your son!

JB - memories of tragedy are haunting, filling the world with kindness to yourself and others is the best antidote!

Sylvia - Love the joke/story!!!!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Hello All,
    I have noticed that when I eat something sweet I continue to crave sweets. I know some people can eat a piece of something and be satisfied. This morning I brought my protein shake but we had doughnuts and I didn't resist temptation. Now, I want sweets so bad I can't hardly focus on work. I swear sugar is adictive. It has to be. I think I will have to go for a walk and then maybe I can make it through the rest of the day. For a New Years resolution I vowed not to take a single piece of candy out of the candy supplies here at work, and so far I haven't, so I can't give in now. Thanks for letting me vent.
    May your days be sweetened with something other than sugar!!!
    Patty, Cincinnati

Yes Patty, Sugars eaten in combination with carbs do = cravings... the brain gets a high with that combo like cocaine. Also in MRI studies done even looking at those kinds of things or passing your fave bakery will trigger those cravings physically. Ever wonder why you can easily eat a cup of ice cream but not a cup of sugar? It's the combo, scientific info used by food processing companies for as long as they've been able to. Read Pulitzer Prize winner Michael Moss' "Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us." Interesting, Funny, and Sad
    Liana
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Heather I know what it is like when you just have this desire your grand kids. I really need my Ellie hugs. She is my 7 year old DGD. I love my 12 year old DGD also but the 7 year old has such a passion for life and making sure everyone is as happy as she is. She loves giving little gifts. It may be a stone she found and thought was beautiful, or just a note that she says she loves you or that God loves you. But she is very generous with her hugs. She is so satisfied if she has just paper and some kind of making device. One year for Christmas she got reams of copy paper and colored pencils from a couple of people. She went home one happy little girl. Her Mom wasn't!!! The 12 year old is most satisfied when she is curled up with a good book.

Talk to you all later Joyce, sunny Indiana
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy spring.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Was suppose to get in the 50`s,think it got to 48.
    Amanda,your GB is adorable.:love:
    gonna try to post some pics or at least change my pic,I`m not good at this.
    Have a good day.
    HUGS:heart::heart: :heart:
    jane
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,807 Member
    Options
    Happy first day of Spring. :smile: It is to get in the upper 60's here today. Then by Saturday high of 37.:sad: What crazy weather. I am working a 12 hour shift so I will be inside alday. But nice to see the sun shining. This day at work did not start out very good. The person who worked the night shift picks what she wants to do and then I have to figure out what is done and not done before I can begin my work. She also makes such a mess and this morning was several mistakes to fix. But think I am caught up now and ready for the day.

Pat--One Day at a time, just don't give up and at the same time don't beat yourself up.:flowerforyou:

Alison--Sorry to hear DFIL is ill. Hope you can talk some sense into him.

MA--great NSV, everyone counts.:flowerforyou: :drinker:

Kim--Levi sounds like my Jake. If he can't eat it he will pee on it.

Heather--I know it seems time just slips away and I try to keep in touch more often, but LIFE seems to get in my way. Know that you have become important to me and I look forward to my time here with my friends. Heather my DGD and I send mail back and forth. She will draw me pictures and I try and send alittle something in a card. She gets so excited getting mail. Just an idea for in between visits.:heart:

Amanda--beautiful picture of the new baby.

Sylvia--what terrible service, sounds like us and Ruby Tuesdays. Last time my food was floating in butter and when I asked to have it fixed they said you didnt say no butter. I said the menu never said anything about butter. DH says we are not going back.

Carol--Good Luck in dealing with the school. I went with DD acouple years ago as she was having problems with her son and a teacher. He was in the 3rd grade and he has ADD and she would put him in the hallway. Then wounder why he would get in trouble. They were to put him in this study room where a teacher was and that had been dicided at an earlier meeting. She said it was easier to just put him in the hallway.

Well the has gotten some better and only an hour and half before I am off. I am having trouble with my nails again. So got some super glue and put them back on. See how this works, but I have not alot of patience and ready to just say forget it and let them fall off and be done with it. Have anice evening ladies and be kind to yourself we each deserve it.
    Blessed! Vicki GI NE
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    'Night everybody; sleep well.

Cynthia
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,756 Member
    Options
    evening,
    just checking in before I collapse.. left the house at 7:30 am, got to my DFIL at around 8:30, he had some breakfast and he didnt give me any trouble about going,got to the ER around 9, 4 hours later,they took bloodwork ,sent us back out to wait, then came and took a chest xray, sent him back out 6 hrs later they finally take him into a hallway and plop him on a gurney.. they were so overloaded they were 3 deep in the halls, my SIL the one that lives with him finally came down, because the DH and I had to be over at the dealership at 5:15 or so to pick up the new car, yes we bought it..
    my aunt, FIL sister is in the same hospital so while we were waiting got permisson to take him up to see her.. she is not well went into resperatory failure this past saterday and was going home today,but needs 24 hr care, her kids and SIL and niece will be doing that,but she looks like she probably wont last to long, just love her to pieces and glad the her brother got to see his sisters, other sister was visiting..
    to say today was stressful is an understatement, but when I left they were not going to admit him, his primary said either at home or the hospital, and of course my SIL said keep him in... he really does need IV fluids because he doesnt drink neary as much as he should.
    will call down and speak with the dr tomorrow .
    right now im going to sleep..
    catch up with all of you in the morning
  • MA_B
    MA_B Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Dog training night ,,, Result!! Charlie, my black doodle went round the cone! Not just once but continued to do it on command! I was so excited I did a happy dance and got laughed at! Her tail wagged so much she knocked the cone flying! So happy!

My next task is to teach her the interrupted A recall with a twist. The A recall is where you walk away from the dog in a wait with your back to the dog - then call them to heel. To interrupt a recall you ask the dog to stop part way back to you. The normal interrupted recall is where you face the dog so can use hand signals more easily. I have done the interrupted A recall as part of my dance routine - but it rolls into the conga move where Charlie wraps her paws around my waist and we conga for a few notes! For this routine she is supposed to join me between my legs and sit, doing the finish move to sit by my left. Trying to get her not to conga was quite a challenge! BUT if we can do the cone we will master it!

Having only worked solidly with Charlie at training this evening I took Chloe and Toby out once I got back and jogged the route - my fitbit tells me I did 25 mins of the higher intensity moving! 2nd result of the evening - the 5k R4L is looking more possible!

Time for a shower and bed, so goodnight from a very happy MA in UK
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness I'm sore. 45 min on the stationary bike and then I did my 2nd Cardiofit Box class. It was intense. I wonder if I'll be able to walk tomorrow :laugh:

I spoke to my brother and we are walking away from my estate. It's far too much of a mess to fix it and it's even more complicated with the death of my stepfather just a few months after her. My sister was "vacated" from the house by the bank. I would have paid good money to see that :laugh: My mother promised to leave a mess and she was true to her word once again. I'm sure she's getting a good laugh where ever she ended up.

My brother & I are trying to find a time to get together, I think it's been over 20 years since we've had contact with each other. So far he has kept his word and not given my contact information to my sister.

I've had a nice hot shower and am going to tuck myself into bed.

:heart: Sandy in ON
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Just bumping..............have had 2 absolutely killer busy long days; read everything but opting for bed tonight instead of comments.

G'nite all,
    yanniejannie
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Have a great night everyone. Hope you sleep well!

Cindy in OK :yawn: