WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2014

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Amanda, I watched a youtube video of a scene of the ballet you went to……great dancing, but certainly not the ballet I grew up with….congrats on your beautiful grandchild.

:flowerforyou: Cindy, I don’t watch the news or read the newspaper or read news reports on the internet….I learn about the weather around the world from the women on this thread…..it makes me much more peaceful

:flowerforyou: Rose, come back often, this is the support system that works.

:flowerforyou: Carol, there is nothing magic about not eating at night. For some people that’s important. I eat my last food about 30 minutes before going to bed and it works great for me. The best plan is one that you’ll stick to.

:flowerforyou: Liana, I read “Salt, Sugar, Fat” and recommend it to anyone who will listen to me.

:flowerforyou: MA, I admire your patience and persistence in dog training.

:bigsmile: Sandy, bravo for your great workout

:flowerforyou: The bad news at our house is that the motor on our dryer is totally dead, the good news is that the repairman who came today said that he can replace the motor and a few other parts for a cost that we can live with.

:bigsmile: Today I am grateful for the dryer repairman, the sunshine, a great line dance class, wonderful walks with my dogs, time to ride the exercise bike and do my brief strength training routine, my darling husband, and all of you, my dear friends who support and encourage me on my journey to better health.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington

"The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    WOW, after reading about the days some of you have had I guess I should say that I love my life! I am so sorry so many of you have the family challenges you do. I am proud of the way you handle the situations and yourselves. Age does give us maturity.

I think spring is finally trying to get here and stay here!

Joyce, Indiana
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,380 Member
    Options
    Did Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred DVD today. I did levels 1, 2 and 3 only I didn't do the cooldown between two levels, just at the end. Tomorrow I'm planning to do this workout on the treadmill, as I recall it's more of an interval workout (I think). Then returned somethings at one grocery store (we really didn't need them), volunteered at the Green Room (weren't busy at all so I got a lot of crocheting in), then stopped on the way home at one store to get asparagus, they had it on sale for 1.79 a pound. Found that they can make cupcakes in the shapes of turkey's. I'm thinking that'll be nice for our end-of season bowling party. Just wanted to get ideas. Then went to WalMart to get some of the things I needed, inquired about their baking the "bowling dessert". Then over to Sams (which is rigt next door) to see if they make up any sort of turkey cake (they don't) but the gal there gave me the name of someone who used to work there and does baking out of her home, so I'll give her a call.

Heather - I, for one, am very proud to know you

Alison - I don't know your eating habits, but I know that FOR ME I can be below calories, but I can be guaranteed of not losing (and possibly gaining) if I eat late at night. I've been trying to give up eating after dinner for Lent, and it's had some pretty positive effects. Sometimes it's something as simple as that

DeeDee - let's enjoy the wonderful weather because I understand that it's not going to stay this way for long (unfortunately)

Rose - welcome back. You know you've come to a great place for support

Juanita - the first day of spring and you're listening to snowblowers? Now that is horrible

Sylvia - what a horrendous dinner you had at Applebee's. They only took HALF off your bill? I would have wanted more taken off.

Carol - that's so good that you ate some of the pizza and then just waited to see if you were still hungry. I know that that's something I should do and don't do.

Vicki - I'm so sorry about your job. Does your boss know about the mistakes? I remember one time we went to a restaurant and I ordered a salad. It came with cheese on it. There was nothing in the description that indicated that there was cheese in it. So I sent the salad back. They didn't seem to have a problem with that. I've learned that down here their idea of "a little butter" is "oh, I guess we'll only use 1/4 pound and not the 1/2 pound that we usually use". That's why many times I ask for my food without butter.

Alison - glad you got FIL to the hosp and you made it possible for him to see his sister. My heart breaks for you.

MA - congrats to you and Charlie

Michele in NC
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Happy first day of Spring. It was sunny and in the 70's so DH and I went for a walk. Finally caught up with the posts and did enjoy the pictures of the trees and thank you Sylvia for the jokes each day. Humor is the best medicine!
    Not much to say except I'm taking it one day at a time and staying positive.
    Sue in TX
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: I hope you’re feeling better moment by moment. I just left DD and DGD and will not be likely to see them again for months. It is hard. I have a lot of sympathy. My heart breaks for your poor friend whose hysterectomy has gone bad. It definitely puts things into perspective.:flowerforyou:

Alison: Good luck. If FIL’s sister is there, I’d consider postponing anything that isn’t critical.:flowerforyou:

Amanda: Congratulations! I’m so glad you were able to visit your DD and beautiful new granddaughter. :love: :heart: The ballet sounds fun, too.:bigsmile:

Margaret: Take care and get plenty of rest. The kids will soak up every bit of energy you have. They’re worth it, though.:heart:

DeeDee: I’m looking for a few additional icons including the screaming one. I’d also like the kicking and screaming tantrum, the pig out, sticking out the tongue and blowing a raspberry and my imagination runs wild beyond that.:devil: I’m at DSIL’s house now, about 2/3 of the way home. We’ll be here a couple of days. :flowerforyou:

Sylvia: Your dinner at Applebees would make a great sketch for a TV show. The old Carol Burnett show comes to mind. I’ve never been a big fan of the Applebees in our area. :noway: I’m so happy the bed worked out for your son in his apartment. I LOVE your joke today.:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

NC Carol: I looked up Newman’s pizza and the numbers were reasonable. Good find for pizza lovers!:drinker:

It has been a long day of driving and I’ve run out of energy before I’ve made all my comments. We’re currently at DSIL’s and will be here a couple of days before going home. I’m ready for rest.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hello all and happy first day of spring. I woke up after a good sleep (finally) and pulled up the blinds to see a blanket of snow - just Mother Nature showing who is boss. Anyway, it all melted this afternoon and I got out after work and raked the nasty slimy mulch off my poor little crocuses. They have obviously been trying to grow under the mulch because the shoots were that sickly yellow colour. Nothing that a day of sunshine won't fix.

It's so nice reading all of the posts, I've really missed it I guess. It's sort of like sitting down for a coffee with friends and hearing all the news.

I've been having some difficulty sleeping lately so am trying to go to bed fairly early in the hopes that sleep will just creep up on me. What is this about sour cherry? I have some in the fridge but didn't realize it had sleeping benefits. I guess I'll do the Google thing and see what comes up.

Night all.
    Best wishes for a good day tomorrow.
    Lila in the snowy, then sunny Kootenays.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Vicki being n nursing a nurse had better finish up her job before the end of her shift. But we used to have one who always had the biggest, and I guess what she thought was believable, reasons why she couldn't get certain things done. And what she did get done were half done. I was really dissapointed in her. I was her preceptor so when my head nurse told me in confidence that they were going to fire her I asked if she would let me talk to her first so that she could have a chance to improve. One of her biggest excuses was that she didn't know how to use the computer. What a bunch of baloney. Her previous jobs were all in the computer business. Anyway, she didn't improve and she was fired. It is awkward seeing her as a floor worker at Walmart. I try to avoid her but sometimes it isn't possible. But bosses do listen to employees. They want good reviews, efficiency in their department, that spells money!

Joyce, Indiana
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,650 Member
    Options
    Alison – so glad you got your DFIL the care he needs sounds like an assisted living situation would be a good idea, they are crazy expensive in CA not sure in your area.
    MA – your dog dance routine sounds so cute! Any chance it is on youtube?
    Sandy – wow! I have siblings that sound like yours with a twist… Hope brother keeps his word. Stay safe!
    Barbie –I love the idea of putting thankful fors at the end of the evening post – I think I am going to steal your idea!

I have wanted; for a long time; a nice wicker chair for my guest room - and wicker is not really in; and if you find it - it is crazy pricey! So I was trolling craigslist and found one! The picture looked perfect - emailed - still available! she was asking $75; I asked if she would lower the price she said $65 - I went and saw it and it is perfect the cushion needs to be replaced but that's easy - so I asked if she would take $60 and she said sure! SCORE! It looks so cute in the corner, and nice to have a place to sit to put on shoes or read or whatever! :happy:

Today was busy I am doing a football scene on the back of a letterjacket and the machine just finished this section-- 6 hours of stitching and the back is mostly done, just a name and then the front to do tomorrow...this one has been a lot of back and forth getting the design just right. so I will be glad to hand it over the the client.

So I have been paying a lot of attention to triggers - mine seem to be "time/event" triggers not specific foods - so when I am served a set amount I feel the need to finish it, - restaurant not so much, but someones home - have to clean my plate- and driving if I am driving I should be eating - grr I don't want fast food, but I feel like it was a good use of my time - eat while I drive and I save time later ---Just writing that makes it seem STUPID:embarassed:

and the thankfuls: That I don't live in the snow zone:glasses: ; for Levi my DD (darling dog), for great neighbors, for computers as without them I would not have met you!
    :flowerforyou:

nighty night! Kim in dark N. Cal.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,779 Member
    Options
    morning ladies,
    didnt sleep well last night, maybe because I was overtired..
    have to be into work at 10 so have a load of laundry in and having my lemon water,
    I feel exsausted, and I dont know if I am fighting something ,not up for the gym, I dont know if im even up for racewalking, maybe I will just baby myself for the next couple of days..
    have to call down to the hospital.. I want to speak to the dr ,my DFIL really does need 24 hr skilled nursing care, he is incontentent,the dementia is getting worse,he has quite a few falls,refuses to shower ,it is just getting to be to much for them at the house..
    SIL hasnt gotten all the paperwork done that needs to be done,but the best thing I think would be for him to be transferred straight to a nursing home after his stay in the hospital
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    maybe I will just baby myself for the next couple of days..

Yes! Yes! :happy: :flowerforyou:
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies

I'm looking out of the window of the gallery and can see brilliant blue skies over Mayfair. Well, that's a bonus!

I couldn't manage to eat any breakfast this morning (gallbladder being unkind to me). So I'm going to try to have a little mid-morning snack, see how that goes.

Busy day ahead, so must press on with some work.

Have the best possible day today my friends.

Love to all.
    Amanda x
  • Florence1221
    Options
    Good morning everyone. First post here. Nice to see a group for women my age.

Prayers for my sweet niece Claudia who will have surgery this afternoon. She is recovering from a double mastectomy and had a small complication.

Wishing everyone a good day and all the strength you need to stick with your goals today. :happy:
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

It`s Friday:bigsmile: !!!! No more time this morning though:sad: !

Have a wonderful day!!! Drink your water :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log you food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in beautiful sunny NC:glasses:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,322 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!:flowerforyou:

Had a little cry this morning! :blushing: My DDIL emailed me and asked us to visit in April ! ! ! ! :love: :heart: And she sent me three gorgeous photos of the DGC. Sob, sob! :love: :love: :love: Love them all to bits. Pity the boys themselves are not good communicators. :tongue:

Vicki - thanks for that idea. DGS is nearly 3 now, so that is a good idea.

Sandy - hope you get to see your brother.:flowerforyou:

M A - love your dog training. I do love a well trained dog. I am very uncomfortable around most dogs, but a well behaved one is quite a different matter. You are doing good work. Of course the same thing applies to children! Not that I was a good example!:tongue:

I tend to eat dessert st about 8.30. As we eat our main course at 6.30 I would be STARVING before bed at 11.15ish. I also often have a small piece of cheese at 9 if calories allow.

Amanda - your granddaughter is gorgeous! How hard it must have been to leave her!:love:

Florence - welcome!:flowerforyou: My best wishes for Claudia. I had breast cancer nearly 7 years ago now.

Well, my brother rang me last evening and we have arranged for them to come over for a family lunch in April. :heart: :drinker: My 15 yr old niece is a fish eating vegetarian so will apply my brains. You all know how much I love to entertain!:laugh: :laugh: :drinker: :heart: Can't wait!

Thanks everyone for your support during my blah patch. It really helped.:love:

I've decided not to do focaccia for the village charity fair. I'm going to make something much easier and less time comsuming - savoury palmiers. The stall has to be savouries, and I think there will be more than enough cheese scones.:laugh: I will roll the puff pastry with pesto, sundried tomatoes and chopped olives. A bit of parmesan. Then I will cook most of them, but refreeze 6 without cooking them so we can have them freshly baked for my brother's visit. I won't eat:laugh: a whole one! My brother thinks he is a dustbin, so he will finish it off!:laugh:

Having my delicious mixed grains for lunch with beets and feta, salady bits. I absolutely adore it!

Bye for now - Heather in sunny and beautiful Hampshire UK
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,081 Member
    Options
    Good morning,

Deedee:drinker:

Working again today. Hope to catch up later.

Goal to take care of myself today,so I have a healthier tomorrow.
    Give my body good food and let it do the rest.

2014 word: contentment
    :heart:
    Margaret
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Good morning Beautiful Ladies,

Happy Friday! Today is painting day for the kitchen project. Gotta get up and around before they get here. Been sipping coffee and doing my Bible study and inspirational reading. Hope you have a wonderful day!

Cindy in OK. :flowerforyou:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,380 Member
    Options
    katla - those WOULD be cute icons!

Kim - that chair sounds lovely. Great bargain. I didn't know that wicker wasn't "in". We have all wicker in the living room down at the condo. But then again, MIL bought it furnished and it was probably furnished when wicker was "in"

Didn't sleep at all last night, but I know what it was. My sinuses were acting up so I took a Sudafed. That stuff works, but it also makes me wide wide awake. Fortunately, I had recorded some TV shows in the living room so I watched them.

Did an hour of a workout on the treadmill today. I thought it was something different but this workout was basically 5mph at 2% incline for 1 minute then 4mph at 1% incline for 2 minutes. Tomorrow I'm planning that I'll do some of the challenges that I got on another forum.

Going to leave the house shortly to go to mahjongg, then since I'm up that way I'll go to Lowes Foods to get what's on sale that I have coupons for. And, of course, get Vince his Dunkin Donuts. Then I'm taking my crocheting with me and if there's time I'll try to put in an appearance at the Busy Hands group. Since they meet right next door to Aldi, I'll run to Aldi and get what we need from there.

Had a "different" breakfast today. Really, it was more things that I wanted to finish up. I had a cucumber, red pepper, chicken and salad dressing.

florence - welcome! prayers for Claudia

Heather - so glad you'll go see the kids in April, that was nice of your DIL to invite you. I, too, like a well-trained dog.

Michele in NC
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday woooooo! :drinker:

It's frosty here again this morning but it looks like a grand day is in store weather-wise, and a good forecast for the weekend. We'll be starting our tomato seeds indoors under lights, and working in the garden as much as possible.

Tonight I'm holding an event for my adult guitar students, everyone will perform a couple of songs, then we'll have fun with a few old Beatles singalongs. Everyone stays after for an hour or so, sipping wine and snacking on veggies, crackers & cheese...I won't be needing much dinner, if any. :tongue:

Yesterday I took a wonderful, long walk through the woods and along the (muddy) shore at the river, the dogs had a blast. Bath time this morning for those dirty boys! :happy:

Be well, be happy, be grateful and strong :flowerforyou:

:smile: jb in Portland
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,650 Member
    Options
    maybe I will just baby myself for the next couple of days..

Yes! Yes! :happy: :flowerforyou:

DOUBLE YES:drinker: :flowerforyou: :love:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Kim in CA: Knowing your triggers is powerful. Mine were salty chips, crackers, and so on. When I realized how much better I felt without puffy hands it was easier to give them up. I’m sure I was puffy everywhere, but it was my hands where I felt it. When DH had a stroke we went on a real campaign to control salt. Now I cook without it as much as possible and add a little at the table. He adds salt substitute. I really notice the high salt levels when we eat out.:flowerforyou:

Alison: I agree with Cynthia. It is a wonderful plan to baby yourself for a few days.:flowerforyou:

Amanda: Good luck with your gallbladder. Are you planning on surgery? I don’t quite understand how your medical system works for things like that, but you had such a round of surgeries a year ago that I can see a good reason to go slow with another round of it.:flowerforyou:

DeeDee: Hugs back atcha!:flowerforyou:

Heather: Your DDIL is a gem. Ours is, too. DD is another matter. We don’t hear from her for weeks at a time. She has a full plate and gets in touch when she can. I’ve been lucky to get facetime calls from her from time to time. We get to see her and DGD during those calls. I already miss them after our visit.:flowerforyou:

JB: Your guitar event sounds like it will be fun for all.:flowerforyou:

We’re at DSIL’S place and planning to go to a garden show today. Her DD and two DGKs will be here tomorrow. We’ll probably head home the day after that. We have business to take care of concerning the car purchase, which has me stressed out, and also our phone bill that is unexpectedly high.

Katla, back in beautiful Oregon, but not home yet.

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison