My Experience with Raw Vegan 80/10/10 Challenge Month

Options

Replies

• Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, this is a great thread! Right now I'm debating between following a raw/vegan diet or following a low carb high protein diet called (see www.Bearware.info). My goal is weight loss & improved energy. Ideally, I would like to be able to call this way of eating a healthy lifestyle, not a diet.
    For ultimate energy, weight loss, and fitness improvements, the best way is high carbohydrate, low fat, whole foods plant based diet.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, this is a great thread! Right now I'm debating between following a raw/vegan diet or following a low carb high protein diet called (see www.Bearware.info). My goal is weight loss & improved energy. Ideally, I would like to be able to call this way of eating a healthy lifestyle, not a diet.
    For ultimate energy, weight loss, and fitness improvements, the best way is high carbohydrate, low fat, whole foods plant based diet.
    Citations please.
    (Hoping you're trolling, here.)

Why will high carb be better for weight loss than having the same deficit with different food choices?
    Do you consider the preservation of muscle an important factor when losing weight?
    How do you measure 'improved energy' and can you explain why your solution will 'improve' it over a 'balanced' diet that has, well, a 'balance' of all three?
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    As for the rest of the guys pushing their diet visions: some people (the inuit) have survived and thrived in horrid environments on close to 100% animal products and low carbs. Same some other tribes in Africa where the warrior mean live on meat, milk and blood.

Opposite end of the spectrum? vegan buddhist monks. Even some martial castes among them.

I was going to mention this! Humans can and do thrive on a huge variety of diets.

Of course, some of this isn't necessarily quite as advertised. I've never met an inuit or a "martial" vagan monk, but I have visited masailand a few times. Interestingly enough, the only food I was offered was cream of wheat and chai with a lot of sugar in it, so maybe they're not so carb-free. Also, they don't eat their cows as much as we do and I think the blood-letting thing must have some element of ritual to it. I never saw it happen. I think making any health claims about the traditional masai would be difficult, though, since the ones that are "western" enough to have their health tested are almost certainly enjoying some amount of "western" lifestyle, including the food (I saw a masai man roller skating on a train platform, wearing a grey flannel suit and listening to a bright yellow walkman). I would imagine, though, that there are some serious issues with malnutrition, especially among the children (and the less-favored wives).
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Someone asked about long term results on the diet the OP tried for a month so durianrider is someone that lives on that diet consistently and been on it long term. Here's some footage of his bloot test results.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O_A6Mh1J48&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    He also looks like he is going to keel over and die at any second. He's a marathoner so he actually might keel over from a heart attack
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

See, this is where people get annoyed. No one will argue with you if you say that this is what works best FOR YOU. I would DIE on this diet. The sugars in the fruits would have me in a constant cycle of bouncing off the walls and crashing, I would be constantly hungry etc. etc. etc. I don't like carbs, never have. There's a reason why I start getting cravings for burgers and bacon when I'm training hard (and I really don't eat nearly as much of those when I'm not training). My body NEEDS fats and proteins, plant based would just never cut it for me.

As several people now have said, there are MANY different diets that humans have adapted to. You "may" be adapted to work best on a high carbohydrate diet, but I can assure I am not, which is why trying to put a one size fits all label on what people SHOULD eat is ridiculous. Each person needs to experiment and find what works best for them. If you want to recommend they try what you're doing, great, but saying what you're doing is THE BEST and implying it's what everybody should do, that's just ludicrous.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

That is your way. It's not the best way for everyone.
  • missiontofitness
    Options

See, this is where people get annoyed. No one will argue with you if you say that this is what works best FOR YOU. I would DIE on this diet. The sugars in the fruits would have me in a constant cycle of bouncing off the walls and crashing, I would be constantly hungry etc. etc. etc. I don't like carbs, never have. There's a reason why I start getting cravings for burgers and bacon when I'm training hard (and I really don't eat nearly as much of those when I'm not training). My body NEEDS fats and proteins, plant based would just never cut it for me.

As several people now have said, there are MANY different diets that humans have adapted to. You "may" be adapted to work best on a high carbohydrate diet, but I can assure I am not, which is why trying to put a one size fits all label on what people SHOULD eat is ridiculous. Each person needs to experiment and find what works best for them. If you want to recommend they try what you're doing, great, but saying what you're doing is THE BEST and implying it's what everybody should do, that's just ludicrous.

It's like the "30 Bananas a Day" high carb, low fat raw/cooked vegan diet.
    I would die if I ate a truckload of bananas a day. I would gain like crazy from eating all those carbs, because I'm not biking hours a day like the people promoting it.

I absolutely agree with everything you just said, and I have the same reactions when I don't eat enough protein or fat. MY best way is a balance of fruits, veggies, processed foods in moderation, and lean animal protein (with the occasional splurge on sirloin steak tips). That way won't work for everyone, and I'd never say my way is the "best" way for everyone.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

If history is any indication, he would, and inevitably will, strongly disagree.
  • missiontofitness
    Options

If history is any indication, he would, and inevitably will, strongly disagree.

It almost reminds me of that stubborn donkey clip from Family Guy...haha.
  • Rocbola
    Options

Not everyone, just humans.
  • shortt123
    shortt123 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hello all, thank you for the feedback. I most certainly know & agree 110% that there is not one diet that works for everyone. My question is just what works for you? Plant based or high protein low carb? I'm especially interested in hearing from the athletes out there, as I have gotten back into my training. Thank you I look forward to your input!
  • Rocbola
    Options
    Hello all, thank you for the feedback. I most certainly know & agree 110% that there is not one diet that works for everyone. My question is just what works for you? Plant based or high protein low carb? I'm especially interested in hearing from the athletes out there, as I have gotten back into my training. Thank you I look forward to your input!
    Plant based helps a lot of endurance athletes get to the next level. I know it helped me a lot with my cycling stamina and overall speed.
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Someone asked about long term results on the diet the OP tried for a month so durianrider is someone that lives on that diet consistently and been on it long term. Here's some footage of his bloot test results.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O_A6Mh1J48&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    He also looks like he is going to keel over and die at any second. He's a marathoner so he actually might keel over from a heart attack

He chose to be a marathon runner and that's the type of body you get when you run a lot of marathons. If he had chosen to lift weights he would be a bigger person but he's nit a bodybuilder. As far as falling from a heart attack, it hasn't happened to 80 year old nutritional biochemist T. Colin Campbell which is on a very similar high carb vegan diet and jogs a few miles every day. Time will tell. But if I can run 6 miles at the age of 70 which is the distance he was doing on a daily basis at that time I think it would be a good thing.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Big difference between running a few miles a day and being a marathon runner.

A friend of mine in the running club I go to is in his 70s and still leads group runs on club nights, some weekends and so on, as well as running most ofther days. He did the ultramathon I did and finished about 10 minutes ahead of me (my excuse is I had a dog to clean up after :P ).
    He eats plenty of meat.
    Plant based helps a lot of endurance athletes get to the next level. I know it helped me a lot with my cycling stamina and overall speed.
    Citations please. How do you know it helped you over other high carb diets that don't just have plants in?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

I got fatter on a diet like that. High carb does not suit me at all.

I got lean on high protein, moderate fat, moderate carb

who would have thought that the eat a balanced diet and do exercise idea would work so well....
  • Lard_Vader
    Lard_Vader Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Any successful high-mileage training planning program will be rooted on recovery. The obvious recovery is rest after long miles and/or tough workouts; however, there is much more emphasis on the stress of the body with regards to diet. Here’s a short video of Brendan touching on cortisol (he goes into much greater detail in his book “Thrive.”) http://youtu.be/Zlxi1wVX1zk

I averaged 180 miles per week cycling in 2013. My diet ranges between raw vegan, vegan, and fruitarian (good mixture of all). I consistently stay lean 140lbs or less at <9% BF. I’ve been collecting annual wellness exams (blood & lab work) for the last several years. For 2014, I expect running mileage will be in the 50 to 70 miles per week combined with cycling 100 miles per week.

As previous posters stated, what might work for someone, might not for others. My diet choices are purely health (not as much ethical) because I find the cleaner I eat, the better my performance becomes. Granted the only comparison/reasoning I have is when I was a vegetarian and did not train to level I do now. Nonetheless, I’d love to compare stats with others (plant-based and meat eaters).
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

giphy.gif
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

You're right humans don't show one single evolutionary adaptation for eating anything other than plants, after all that's why we still have a massive appendix for fermenting and digesting cellulose, oh.....wait.......
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

You're right humans don't show one single evolutionary adaptation for eating anything other than plants, after all that's why we still have a massive appendix for fermenting and digesting cellulose, oh.....wait.......

:laugh:

I don't have an appendix anymore. Guess I'm not longer human. :sad:
  • beckygusa
    beckygusa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I personally believe that for me (based on what I have read and researched) that a high protein/higher fat/low carb diet is great for fast weight loss but over time can have major effects on your heart. I am currently 3 days into a high complex carbohydrate/plant based/no added salt/no dairy diet combined with at least 20 minutes of exercise per day. I feel great and I am enjoying the new recipes that I have discovered. I am really trying to limit my processed foods and also drink at least 8 glasses of water per day. I decided to do this after reading "The China Studies," "Skinny *****," and "How to Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease." I don't have any major health issues except for the fact that I am overweight and looking to better my overall health.