Ok to count other drinks towards water goal?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I only count Crystal Light towards my water intake for the day. Most days I don't need it. However, sometimes I need the flavor.

We can find water in just about everything including soda, so it's a slippery slope to start counting thing like soda, juices, etc.
    No. It's not a slippery slope. The OP asked if it counts towards water intake. It does. End of story. The point is to stay hydrated.
    Of course you should book the calories if it has any (like milk or soda) but it still can be logged as water intake.
    I don't get why people can't understand this. More people should study a little chemistry and biology.

No.. what more people should do is stop being so condescending. A slippery slope is not a cliff. Perhaps more people should study physics in order to understand what happens on a slippery slope. It's a gradual decline, meaning where does it end? Sound like you are saying that if I eat chili that was made with a broth, then I can count that as water. If I have a bowl of cereal, then count it as water. At some point, yes, it's a gradual decline, a slippery slope. Fruits are an excellent source of water! Watermelon is comprised of 90% water. Let me guess.. you count that, too, right? ;)

If I actually ate watermelon and could get an accurate gauge of how much water was in it...sure, I'd count it. Why not? What, exactly, would counting the watermelon as water do to me to cause a negative reaction? Would I be less hydrated if I ate enough water to have it count as 6-8 cups of water?

No?

Well then.

YOU'RE GUNNA DIE, YOU HATE WATERMELON.

I would rather die than eat watermelon! What the hell is the point, it ain't nothing but water and seeds anyway! I might as well just drink water.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I only count Crystal Light towards my water intake for the day. Most days I don't need it. However, sometimes I need the flavor.

We can find water in just about everything including soda, so it's a slippery slope to start counting thing like soda, juices, etc.
    No. It's not a slippery slope. The OP asked if it counts towards water intake. It does. End of story. The point is to stay hydrated.
    Of course you should book the calories if it has any (like milk or soda) but it still can be logged as water intake.
    I don't get why people can't understand this. More people should study a little chemistry and biology.

No.. what more people should do is stop being so condescending. A slippery slope is not a cliff. Perhaps more people should study physics in order to understand what happens on a slippery slope. It's a gradual decline, meaning where does it end? Sound like you are saying that if I eat chili that was made with a broth, then I can count that as water. If I have a bowl of cereal, then count it as water. At some point, yes, it's a gradual decline, a slippery slope. Fruits are an excellent source of water! Watermelon is comprised of 90% water. Let me guess.. you count that, too, right? ;)

If I actually ate watermelon and could get an accurate gauge of how much water was in it...sure, I'd count it. Why not? What, exactly, would counting the watermelon as water do to me to cause a negative reaction? Would I be less hydrated if I ate enough water to have it count as 6-8 cups of water?

No?

Well then.

I would rather die than eat watermelon! What the hell is the point, it ain't nothing but water and seeds anyway! I might as well just drink water.[b/]

STAHP WATERMELON SHAMING!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Well what is the main ingredient in tea?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

No?

Well then.

I would rather die than eat watermelon! What the hell is the point, it ain't nothing but water and seeds anyway! I might as well just drink water.[b/]

STAHP WATERMELON SHAMING!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

NUUUUU!!! :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options

No?

Well then.

She is one of those. *nods*

But, watermelon is pretty worthless. Water and sugar and $$$$ for nuttin.
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    My NUT told me to count any liquids because they all contribute to keeping our bodies hydrated, which is the point. That being said, she also said to make sure I am at least drinking some pure water, which I do. Who cares if a beverage has calories. I high percentage of a beverage is water.

Many are correct to mention the coffee is a diuretic myth. It doesn't dehydrate like it was thought to have at one point.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I get water is a part of these things ...it just seems silly to me to count it as pure water :S

Because...? If I measure out two cups of water it's still two cups of water no matter what I mix in. It's just flavored.

I mean, if I eat protein powder and chase it with water that's fine to count but if I mix them in a cup it doesn't count? Why?

So you are pretty much saying everything that has water in it counts? So since soda is carbonated water with high fructose corn syrup in it,, it still counts as water? Juice with water in it is water. So theoretically you never really have to drink plain water cause everything that is liquid is water?...... ok thanks for the info :huh:

Yes. I sometimes don't drink actual water for days but my urine remains the same pale yellow/near clear color it is when I drink five bottles of water, which means I am no less hydrated while not drinking actual 'water'. You also get hydration from food, btw, but that's understandably harder to quantify than the water in a cup of coffee.

Always happy to spread some information around. *sips ginger ale*

So you pretty much just told everyone they never have to drink pure water again.... Soda all the time. Good luck with that.

Yeah, that's exactly what she said. You're totally not putting words in her mouth...

Reading comprehension FTL.
  • thegilly6
    thegilly6 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    BEER?
  • Annabel193
    Options
    Since a person's need for hydration varies according to their physiology, the climate they live in, and the activities they perform it's silly to count water in the first place. Whatever arbitrary number you're trying to hit may be completely inappropriate for you. Just consume enough to keep your urine a pale yellow color.

Plus you completely avoid this "can I count coffee, tea, etc" discussion. (Although the answer to that question is "yes". Even fruit and vegetables contribute to your hydration.)
    God, the discussion should've ended after this post.

Assuming what you're drinking is a liquid, then chances are its main component is water so there is no problem logging it. Either way relying on the logger to know whether or not you're hydrated enough makes no sense to me. Just drink what your body needs.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

No?

Well then.

She is one of those. *nods*

But, watermelon is pretty worthless. Water and sugar and $$$$ for nuttin.

melon.gif
  • Chickaboo2014
    Chickaboo2014 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Tough Crowd! Yikes!