Why in the hell am I stuck at this weight?!

Options
1235»

Replies

• BayVay
    BayVay Posts: 24
    Options
    This was very informative! As of this morning I started taking my magnesium, D3, Zinc, multivitamin, and B6. I haven't been taking them in a WHILE. Ugh. LOL. For iodine deficiency I take Iodoral every other day. I also take Maca supplements to help with energy and hormone balance.

Yeah, I just don't get what the sudden hold up is...and why it's so aggressive or I'm very aggressive with breaking it. So, I will try to take a break eat at TDEE and take walks...after a few days to a week... I'm going to just consume TDEE-20% and go for long brisk walks. If this doesn't work...I might look more into the Paleo diet. I heard about it and saw it worked wonders for some people...

If you don't think you have any food sensitivities or autoimmune issues, the Paleo/Primal part may not make much difference so long as you're hitting your macros as I believe the macros, especially protein and carb, consumption are the issues for maintaining/minimizing muscle loss and insulin resistance issues.

Do you know what macros (protein, carb, fats) you generally hit? How much protein are you getting? I think you said you generally eat a lot of carbs -- any idea how many grams or and what percentage come from low glycemic sources (most vegetables, some fruits) rather than those that are metabolized quickly (i.e. refined carbs, high sugar, certain fruits, etc.)?

Hi Lindsey1979. Yeah I had no clue what macros/micros were lol. For protein, it's generally about 25-40%. Carbs are about 40-55%. Fats are about 10-20%. I try keeping Fats the absolute lowest. These are based off LoseIt. Everything has some carb in it apparently. I ate an apple and logged it as a carb. I drank a protein shake with just water and powder it said it was protein and carbs. UGH. lol
  • steph6467
    steph6467 Posts: 54 Member
    Options

To those of you who believe my posts....I thank you. This weight loss thing is nuts...and this plateau is making me crazy as I'd like to see results (well duh lol) and I just want to ENSURE nothing else is wrong...

It's not a matter of not believing you, in fact believing your info *is* the source of the feedback you are getting. If you are not losing weight, you are in a state of thermodynamic equilibrium. You are taking in as much energy as you are expending. So something is wrong with your calculations, either intake, output, or likely both. This doesn't make you a bad person or stupid or a liar or lazy.

If something else is out of whack (i.e. a mineral imbalance or hormonal something) it probably accounts for about 1% of the equation. Seriously. I know that sucks, but it's fact. You could adjust the energy equation by moving (lots) more or eating less and start losing again. It's hard to do, usually because it's so easy to misjudge calorie intake (and sometimes this is totally unconscious) and it's almost impossible to exercise enough to make up for a calorie misjudgement.

See, it's misinformation like this that is frustrating. There is far more of the population than 1% that is estimated to have either a thyroid issue or an issue that involves insulin resistance. Shoot, they're diagnosed more often than that. It's thinking like this that leads to the very reasons why weight loss can be so difficult.

For thyroid issues alone, it's estimated that 12% of the population has a problem with their thyroid, which is over 20 million people and they estimate that 60% of people with such a disorder don't know they have such a problem (1). For insulin resistance as it is an disorder than can arise in a variety of situations (PCOS, thyroid, metabolic syndrome, diabetes, etc.), they estimate that as much as 25% of the population may have some degree of insulin resistance (2).

(1) America Thyroid Association http://www.thyroid.org/media-main/about-hypothyroidism/
    (2) http://www.rightdiagnosis.com/i/insulin_resistance/stats.htm

You completely misread what I wrote. I did not state that only 1% of the population has thyroid problems, I stated that *if* OP has a hormone issue or a mineral imbalance, it's probably only 1% of *her specific plateau issue*. OP states she was 215 lbs as of Nov 13 and has lost 35 pounds in the last few months. *IF* she has a thyroid problem, it's obviously not so bad that she *can't* lose any weight. Even people with severe thyroid problems are subject to energy balance. Their metabolisms may be slower, but at some point when energy output exceeds energy input at a great enough level, weight will be lost.
  • stacyg64
    stacyg64 Posts: 1
    Options
    This also reminds me of something a dietician mentioned to me. If you have been at this weight before, for any extended period of time, your body could become stuck there. This happened to me and she suggested an interesting "plateau plan". Basically I ate a hard boiled egg and 1/2 grapefruit for breakfast, tuna, spinach and 1/2 grapefruit for lunch and chicken/fish, salad, cooked spinach for dinner with herbal tea with fresh lemon throughout the day with lots of water. I did this for 2 days and it seemed to push me out of my slump. It wasn't easy, but I managed. Not sure if this would work for you, but just a suggestion.

Be well and I hope you find the answers that you are looking for quickly!
    Stacy
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

Hi Lindsey1979. Yeah I had no clue what macros/micros were lol. For protein, it's generally about 25-40%. Carbs are about 40-55%. Fats are about 10-20%. I try keeping Fats the absolute lowest. These are based off LoseIt. Everything has some carb in it apparently. I ate an apple and logged it as a carb. I drank a protein shake with just water and powder it said it was protein and carbs. UGH. lol

People have differing views on this, but if you do have a carb sensitivity issue (whether insulin resistance or something else), lowering carbs and increasing fat will likely help you considerably (I found this immensely helpful for me). Here's some extra info on the basic concepts (though there is definitely counterarguments as well):

http://www.examiner.com/article/low-carb-high-fat-diets-aid-weight-loss-and-reverse-heart-disease-and-diabetes
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/high-fat-diet-healthy-safe/#axzz2vKBvSflS
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/carbohydrates/low-carbohydrate-diets/
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    You completely misread what I wrote. I did not state that only 1% of the population has thyroid problems, I stated that *if* OP has a hormone issue or a mineral imbalance, it's probably only 1% of *her specific plateau issue*. OP states she was 215 lbs as of Nov 13 and has lost 35 pounds in the last few months. *IF* she has a thyroid problem, it's obviously not so bad that she *can't* lose any weight. Even people with severe thyroid problems are subject to energy balance. Their metabolisms may be slower, but at some point when energy output exceeds energy input at a great enough level, weight will be lost.

Insulin resistance, adrenal fatigue, thyroid issues, etc. can have a spectrum of impact and vary within the individual at various times. Hashi's is an excellent example -- where you can literally be hyperthyroid for a few months (and losing weight) and then be hypothyroid the next month (stop losing weight or actually gaining doing the EXACT same things). That could literally be her exact situation and explanation for the great weight loss that has now completely stopped despite similar efforts.

That's why people that are diagnosed with these conditions generally have them monitored closely. And also the reason why some can eat certain things and others can't, or they have abnormal reactions to them (like gluten with Celiacs, or high glycemic carbs or too many carbs for insulin resistant people, etc.). The "normal" rules don't apply because there is another factor at work in their metabolism, skewing the process and results.

There is absolutely no way for you to say that it's only 1% of the problem without any understanding if there are metabolic issues in play. It could be 1%, or it could be 50% -- or higher. No way to know if the "normal" rules apply to her or not unless such metabolic issues are ruled out. According to your theory, because she was able to lose weight at one time = any metabolism issue MUST be less than 1% of problem NOW. To minimize and dismiss them based on the information provided is a failure to understand applicable assumptions and basic logic.

Given her experience with calorie counting and exercise, it likely indicates a problem. It's possible that she's just way off on her estimations as you posit -- but that's only one possibility, not a 99% possibility. It's just as likely, if not more so given her descriptions, that she understands how to make reasonable calculations and there is another metabolic factor in play.
  • steph6467
    steph6467 Posts: 54 Member
    Options

This way is even more ridiculous -- I was giving you the benefit of the doubt in the interpretation. This opinion is also woefully uninformed as well.

Insulin resistance, adrenal fatigue, thyroid issues, etc. can have a spectrum of impact and vary within the individual at various times. Hashi's is an excellent example -- where you can literally be hyperthyroid for a few months (and losing weight) and then be hypothyroid the next month (stop losing weight or actually gaining doing the EXACT same things). That could literally be her exact situation and explanation for the great weight loss that has now completely stopped despite similar efforts.

That's why people that are diagnosed with these conditions generally have them monitored closely. And also the reason why some can eat certain things and others can't, or they have abnormal reactions to them (like gluten with Celiacs, or high glycemic carbs or too many carbs for insulin resistant people, etc.). The "normal" rules don't apply because there is another factor at work in their metabolism, skewing the process and results.

There is absolutely no way for you to say that it's only 1% of the problem without any understanding if there are metabolic issues in play. It could be 1%, or it could be 50% -- or higher. No way to know if the "normal" rules apply to her or not unless such metabolic issues are ruled out. According to your theory, because she was able to lose weight at one time = any metabolism issue MUST be less than 1% of problem NOW. To minimize and dismiss them based on the information provided is a failure to understand applicable assumptions and basic logic.

Given her experience with calorie counting and exercise, it likely indicates a problem. It's possible that she's just way off on her estimations as you posit -- but that's only one possibility, not a 99% possibility. It's just as likely, if not more so given her descriptions, that she understands how to make reasonable calculations and there is another metabolic factor in play.

Wow. Scientific breakthrough!!! People with thyroid problems can never lose weight or starve to death!! Metabolic MIRACLES!
  • Arranna1212
    Arranna1212 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html

Just thought these were some interesting reads.. I have nothing else to say for this topic. Hope it helps.
  • BayVay
    Options
    http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html

Just thought these were some interesting reads.. I have nothing else to say for this topic. Hope it helps.

I'd encourage you to post more reliable resources. While most of the information is correct for MOST, it isn't correct for ALL. But Thank you dear. I have always found the the Minnesota study interesting...lol IJS.

As for my calories, increasing them has actually helped me lose weight. So, that's that.

Lindsey1979 and Steph6467 Stop arguing lol. I have been on both sides of the fence to which you both plead! I didn't believe I had anything wrong until November 2013. So, versus bashing each other...help each other understand. Each one teach one!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Looks like this thread got a little outta hand....

However, I use a HRM (chest strap) when I do cardio. My HRM has my height, age, weight (most machines do not ask for height) and the machine always states that I've burned *at least* 100 calories more than my HRM. That's even when I use a Polar compatible machine and picks up my HR from my chest strap. On a good day where I have the energy and motivation, I typically burn about 350 calories during a 45 minute eliptical session.

I would seriously consider that the machines have been over estimating and if you would like a more accurate burn, invest in an HRM, I love mine!

So that being said, if your calorie burn isn't as high as you think, but you're eating to compensate for that inaccurate burn, that COULD be why you aren't losing.

I also suggest using a food scale as well and weighing all non-liquid items.

You might be surprised to test that HRM against better calorie burn calc.

BTW, height doesn't matter for calories burned. Moving weight is it. So pace and weight.

Does the energy to pick up 5 lbs change between male, female, old, young? No. Might feel harder to one over the other, but the actual energy needed to move mass against gravity is not different.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/774337-how-to-test-hrm-for-how-accurate-calorie-burn-is

Those cheaper Polar's are missing key stats to allow better calc's. VO2max.
  • heybales
    Options
    Thanks for replying Steph6467. So my question now would be...shouldn't I have gained every time I've upped my calorie intake then? If I was "miscalculating." Now, I'm curious. LOL. Going from 1100 calories a day and let's say burning only "300" a day with working out lasting 45 minutes...to 1450 and working out 30 minutes and losing more. :noway:

And this past week, which is only a little time... I still maintained but now I'm at the lowest end of the plateau. I consumed 1800-2000 calories and only worked out 3 times and burned "300" calories in that. How is that possible?

In my past experiences... I would consume about 2300-4000 calories...in JUNK. I'm talking 5 grilled cheese sandwiches, 1 FULL plate of white rice with butter and sugar, and 3 bowls of fruit loops....this doesn't include any liquid calories or snacks. LOL! All I did then was walk back and forth for an hour and clean for another. So in 2 hours of that....that's about 300 calories...realistically. Yet, I weighed 162....dropping from 176.

All this calorie counting crap is driving me nuts. I almost want to resort to eating unhealthy just for the weight loss. However, I'm FAR more determined to stick it out and remain healthy.

When you eat more and maintain - you just proved the prior eating level was not really your potential maintenance, or TDEE for more correct term.

Your body can adapt to under eating too much for your level of activity, many expected ways. Plus some negative effects like muscle mass loss that won't be corrected that fast.

So prior eating level was suppressed TDEE.

And you sound like you have done a lot of abuse to your system that would cause that easily, and some of it you may have to live with for a while until you get to a point you can repair.

But eating closer to even current maintenance will help.
    You might do your body some good, and unstress yourself in general, if you can stand a couple weeks of maintenance and no loss, knowing it will help loss better when you take a reasonable deficit afterwards.
    And the only way, as you proved, to confirm you are eating at potential maintenance, is probably eating more.

Did you know that if you ate 250 calories above true maintenance daily for 2 weeks - you would only gain 1 lb slowly?
    Anything more or faster is water weight, proving prior level was NOT maintenance.

Here's one recent study.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/heybales/view/reduced-metabolism-tdee-beyond-expected-from-weight-loss-616251
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Have you tried cutting out all un-naturally concentrated sources of calories? Do you still eat oil? Sugar? Flour? Bread? Just a little oil left in your diet will keep you on your plateau.
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    Lindsey1979 and Steph6467 Stop arguing lol. I have been on both sides of the fence to which you both plead! I didn't believe I had anything wrong until November 2013. So, versus bashing each other...help each other understand. Each one teach one!

I don't disagree with you in concept, I just don't care for people who assert that it's only X (or 99% X). Rules are great, but there are very few rules in life that don't have exceptions. And things like thyroid disorders, insulin resistance, adrenal fatigue make up a lot more than 1% of the population (or the equation) and likely a significantly higher percentage of those battling weight/fat issues.

It's really important that people be real with themselves and really try and be accountable for their food intake and exertion calculations. But when you see someone who appears to be doing that a great deal like yourself, it seems much more reasonable to me to say "hey, it looks like you're doing everything correctly, so you may want to look into those exceptions that will help this situation make sense" rather than keep insisting that you're just incapable of measuring/being honest or accurate with your intake/exertion calculations. And then mock alternative suggestions that provide legitimate explanation for the situation (like medical disorders that would be in line with the situation described).
  • xxsarahjwxx
    Options
    I would disagree with increasing your exercise. I was going to suggest perhaps just taking a diet break for a week, eat at TDEE and stay away from the gym - when you push your body too hard (i.e. too much exercise for too few calories) it gets stressed and the cortisol will really not help your weightloss. If you give it a break, you may find that your body finally lets go of some of the weight. It might also help mentally as well to not fixate over every calorie for a week.
    I have always been one to go too hard at things and have frequently found myself stuck at a weight because i'm overtraining and undereating. It got to the point where I was unable to sleep much because I was overtraining and burnt out (something to do with glycogen stores i think). It usually takes a few days off with normal eating to sort me out.

You totally just freaked me out a little. THIS IS ME DOWN TO THE T... I went over last month...and there was only 3 days in it that I had a net calories of 1200-1500. All of the others were below 1000. One was as low as 476. The LOWEST was 299. I wanted to cry at how bad it was.
    Again, this past week was the first week where I was actually OK... I had energy, I didn't get headaches, etc. I was eating 1800-2000 calories since last Sunday...and I went from 183.6 to 182.0...that's almost 2 lbs! But, I'm uncertain if the scale will move any more than that...since I've seen 182.0 once before and that's the lowest it's been. Hoping I can keep it moving DOWN...

I agree, I don't agree with increasing my exercise. At least, not with what I do. This is because if I do 30 minutes I can barely make it back to home I'm so exhausted and wiped out. When I do 45 minutes, I have to sit down and drink water for 15-20 mins because I'm so lightheaded and my heart feels like it'll burst. You know the feeling? When you can feel your heart pulsing in your face? Your hearing gets all fuzzy...that's how I am after a 45 minute workout. I go that insane.

But, I'm scared to stop going...lol. I have to do SOMETHING. Because I have a fear that I'll always put it off or something... So, since I like walking....I will take on that for a bit...I'll probably do about an hour to 2 hours of that since it's not as exhausting for me...and I like it.

Calorie intake/output has CONSUMED my life. Seriously, it has. At one point, back in December, I was burning everything I ate. If I ate 1150, I would burn 1151 in exercise (I then included my walking, elliptical, running, and weight training)...I got that idea from some YouTube person...that was the worst mistake I've EVER DONE!

Been there, done that, ended up in hospital with an eating disorder. That was 9 years ago and I have yo-yoed from one extreme to the other and the net result was i ended up putting on over 100lb. I can't stress enough that you have to take it easy on your body or it will fight back. Mild overtraining will make you tired and stressed but severe overtraining and undereating (i.e. trying to net 0 calories) will only come back to bite you and you will end up binging. You know this because you stopped but it's hard to go from trying to net 0 to trying to net 2000 calories (mentally and physically). I think walking is a good idea but maybe limit it to 1 hour or you will end up with the same effect as hitting the gym (i.e. a stressed body which holds on tightly to its fat reserves!). Just give your brain and your body a break for a week or two and you will feel the benefits in the long run. Sometimes you just need a reset to break a plateau.
    *But* when you return to your diet, don't go extreme, go gently. I know it's hard because you want results but if you want to maintain those results once you reach your goal weight then go easy on yourself! You don't have much to lose so maybe even look into body recomposition.
  • BayVay
    Options
    Hey there to everyone that was encouraging and shared any possible insight.

After about 6 weeks...I broke my plateau!

I did so by INCREASING my calories and DECREASING my exercise. I was exercising WAY too much overall. The 30-45 minutes of hard cardio plus 4-5 mile walk 6 days a week was TOO much apparently. Instead, now I do a walk/run outside (2.5-3 miles) for about 35 mins and eat at least about 1700-1800 calories a day.
    Strangely, the plateau broke when I did the most unthinkable thing...ATE JUNK FOOD (yes, I logged it LOL). I know, I know...that's BAD and it isn't a habit...and hasn't been. However, never go to the gas station (or any place with food in it) HUNGRY! LOL! While I was coming out of the plateau slowly, I was happy. But THIS caused it to break hardcore. :noway: I literally ate 1270 calories in junk in about 30 minutes. A bag of Ruffles, 1 individual pack of "blue" skittles (actually 1/2-3/4, shared it w/ my friend), and 2 star crunch cakes! I refused to eat anymore for the rest of the evening after that; but hey, considering that I don't cheat...I felt I deserved to "enjoy" myself....but it backfired pretty hard LOL.
    I got SO SICK doing that...a massive headache from the sugar high!!! UGH, which shows the amount of CHANGE that has come by eating properly. Anyway, I jumped into action and went for a 3 mile run/walk about an hour or so later to try fighting off the damage... and low and behold...I stepped on the scale just to see the damage...and I weighed less, at the END of the day, than what I did at the beginning of the day. I kinda became obsessed with the scale over the last few weeks...trying to break the stall and all.

This has been the most stressful and learning stall I've experienced. SMH. Oh...
    I WAS INSULIN RESISTANT. A few days after posting this thread, I had my labs done. I had 4 out of the 5 necessary things in order to have it (you only have to have 3 to have it). UGH, I was mad. BUT, due to the fact that I kinda saw it coming...I had to switch up a couple things to reverse it. For instance, in 2.5 weeks my glucose went from 104 to 85. HDL from 41 to 46 (the last thing I've gotta correct to be above 50), and etc. Apparently, it was caused by eating carbs (flat wraps, brown rice, sweet potatoes, etc). Although healthy, I just needed to have a couple weeks of laying off of them and allow my blood levels to catch up and level out. Weird. I ate dairy (milk and eggs), fresh fruit/veggies, and nuts. I wanted a turkey burger SO bad it was crippling lol. I cut out meat just for the hell of it.

So those of you who were being "Calorie cutting Nazis" understand that NOT EVERYONE is miscalculating, lying, and etc. There may be SOME, but not EVERYONE. SOME actually have medical issues and or need to take a "chill pill" on either how large of a deficit they have or how large of one they have created as to aid their metabolism. SOME just have to switch to low carb intake for a bit to straight things out.

Anyway, I've learned a lot from this thread...and I will be referring to some of what you positive folks posted. I started out stalled at 182.0-183.6....I am now in the 170s. It's still dropping, so, I'll let you guys know where it all evens out a bit later.
  • heybales
    Options
    Congrats on discovery and following through and being able to see positive results so quick.

A carb refeed is actually a way to get a big water purge too, sometimes called whoosh effect. Usually happens to ones that have too great a deficit than body wants - too much stress.

Alcohol can do it to, but perhaps you don't want to know that. :drinker:
    Too bad it was wrong thing for medical condition, but glad it worked anyway.

Great on catching the insulin resistant part, if suggestion wasn't made, besides having every meal and snack at decent ratio of carbs:prot:fat - also eat the protein and fat before the carbs. It can help slow the insulin response down.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You're either a medical miracle or in denial. Do you want to lose weight? If you do throwing all your toys out of your peek and saying your doing everything right wing help. You're obviously not doing everything right because it's not working. Take a step back and go back to the basics or continue to believe you're a freak and medical miracle and don't lose it. It's that simple
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Hi Bay, good to hear what worked for you. I'm just wondering too if you're on a low carb/low fat diet. The new thinking is that fats are GOOD for you.

https://www.google.com/search?num=100&newwindow=1&client=firefox-a&hs=ZLp&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&q=fats+are+good+for+you+dieting&oq=fats+are+good+for+you+dieting&gs_l=serp.3...4301.5543.0.5898.7.7.0.0.0.0.220.856.2j4j1.7.0....0...1c.1.37.serp..4.3.352.1nioYNUpHWk

I too am stuck, about 220 for a few weeks. I am doing a LOT of exercise too, but not drinking enough water. Good luck to you!

ETA: I am eating real butter, whole milk, etc, even chocolate milk (check my diary). GL!! :)
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how it is possible for one to consume less calories than is required to maintain their weight and then gain/maintain.

Unless of course they have a nuclear reactor stashed in their small intestine.

(and I have hypothyroidism, am going through early menopause and take 2 medications that are notorious for weight gain. The weight may come off more slowly, but let's face it, I didn't get fat by taking in less fuel than required)
  • qb63
    qb63 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You are way overestimating your calorie burns. You're probably burning 200-250 calories in the 30-45 minutes you're exercising. I'm in the gym 75 minutes lifting weights 3-5 times a week, and I bike 20-40 minutes a day. On my hardest workout days, which is 2 hours, the most burn I get is still under 600. I also push myself very hard. A 5K run in 30 minutes burns less than 250 calories for most women.

You're also eating more than you think. Sorry, if you're stalling, it isn't magical metabolism-slowing foods or sugar causing your problems. It's thermodynamics.

But if you don't want the advice, feel free to keep doing it your way.

THIS!!!
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    Bay --- good for you. Obviously, people on this board don't understand what insulin resistance is and how it affects metabolism and weight gain. Low carb is definitely the way to go there until you can reverse it (if it's possible for you). Best of luck to you!