protein problems!!!!

Options
124»

Replies

• DPruneda17
    DPruneda17 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Are you eating meats? You can't have milk, and all you are mentioning is cheese and eggs. Eat more meat!
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    If you're dead set on going after a protein bar, look for one that's low in carbs and without too many additives. I've never met anyone who has a hard time meeting their daily carb need, and having carbs in your protein bars usually means 1) more calories than you want and 2) a lot of added sugar. This article may help: http://www.askmen.com/top_10/fitness_top_ten/29_fitness_list.html

I very much agree that you need to explain what protein powder really is to your parents, though. You're 18. You should be able to do that.

As for what will happen if you don't meet your goal - you will still see results, but they may be slower, and depending on how lean you're trying to get or how much muscle you want to build you may not be able to get to exactly where you want to be.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Maybe MFP recommends a higher protein level for still-growing bodies... That would be good.
    @OP: Getting 108g of protein within 1900 calories is easy. Eat chicken, ham, fish, prosciutto, pretty much anything that used to be an animal. I just ate a sandwich that has 43g in under 600 calories; it's a little high for weight loss, but if I left off the mayonnaise it would be under 500. A snack of ham and cheese comes in at over 30g for under 300 calories; add a small amount of crackers and a piece of fruit, and you have a nice little breakfast that takes almost no time to prepare. Scramble two or three eggs in a skillet with some vegetables and ham and/or turkey and/or cheese, and you have another quick, easy meal that gives you a very high ratio of protein to calories. A filet of trout or mahi-mahi adds up to 50g of protein in a few hundred calories.
    If you are snacking on carbs or using them as a main staple of your meals, then it'll be harder to fit the protein into your calorie limit. Less bread and pasta and sweets, more meats and eggs.
    Good protein sources on the go - nuts are good. Hard boiled eggs are good. Hard cheeses and deli meats are good. There are also yogurts that might not give you acne - Greek yogurt and Icelandic skyr are basically very soft, lowfat cheeses.

ETA: Protein bars are expensive and not as efficient for me as real foods... And some of them give you really smelly gas. I don't eat them myself. If I want a candy bar, I'll make room for a real one in my daily calories.
  • bnielsenhealth
    Options
    Chicken breast, one gives 20 g protein. One egg gives 6-8 g protein, depending on size. To balance the cholesterol in the yolk, the yolk needs to be soft boiled. This way, the lecithin, which counteracts cholesterol, will be left intact.

Ref. to your protein bar, it has too many calories relative to protein. It also contains sugars in a form that are directly fattening. Meaning, are metabolized in a manner that ends in fat cells. In my opinion, protein bars are suitable for elite athletes and people who need to put on weight. That is not you, is it?

Also, skip your cheese while working on a slimming program. There is too much fat. Real cheese has almost as much fat as protein. Outside of this much of the cheese that is called cheese is not cheese, it is either a mixed product. Even harder to digest than real cheese. Outside of that, cheese constipates. If transit time is slowed (relative to normal speed), more calories are absorbed.

Excuse me for missing one of your posts. If you are 116 lbs., you cannot be trying to loose weight, what??! I am sure that the high protein recommendation has to do with your age as well as your expressed wish to build muscle.