Embarrassed to work out?

Options
123457»

Replies

• fredscamille
    Options
    I run on the streets. in my mind, I'm like a gazelle. in reality, I'm that rhino at the back of the stampede on Jumangi. ;) but, at 5:30am, there aren't too many people out to judge me, and I just let my inner rhino-gazelle go. :)

I love this answer! :smile:

Create an image in your mind and aspire to it rather than being held down by what you think others are seeing or what you're seeing in the mirror.

An old step aerobic video which the singer Cher did in the 90's started with her saying something like: I admire any woman who is doing something to try to make her body more healthy or more strong... and I think that most people in the gym and runners in the street feel the same way. There's respect in more people's eyes than disdain. Remember that now...and after you get into shape and see someone just starting out.

34015025.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • jessicamcfarland165
    jessicamcfarland165 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yep, had the same problem, eventually I just made myself get over it. I definitely have had acquaintances drive past me as I've been running, and I know I've been laughed at by teenagers on a couple of occasions. Once the worst thing happens, it's kind of like, oh, is that it? What kind of a jerk tries to make somebody feel bad about getting in better shape? And why do I care about that person's opinion? (And for the record, acquaintances were always nice, I just felt personally embarassed for being all hot and red and out of breath.)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Honestly, no one is going to care but you :)
    THIS. People are more concerned with themselves and how they are perceived by others and in reality no one really cares.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Unless you're wearing an ill-fitting running bra (ouch!) or my favorite, the man I thought was running in a sweater in the middle of summer, but was actually running shirtless (ewwww), no one is going to care what you look like. In reality, when I see someone running, I think good for her/him. I had to give up running due to my knees and I miss it.
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    You have to take the first step. Get up early and do your workout, if you prefer to workout at home. Most men prefer to sleep in, anyway.
  • Sunnydale14
    Options
    How about thinking about the other way? What do you think when you see a person running outside? Most of us just think, 'Oh, a person running,', and they're past you and you've forgotten about them, because you're back to thinking about whatever else you were thinking about before. Honestly? If you're thinking that, chances are, most people will think the same if they see you running.

If you're embarrassed about working out in front of your partner, ask him to join you! It's hard to feel silly when you're not the only one sweaty and red in the face.
  • ScifiGirl1986
    ScifiGirl1986 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I've been using youtube videos (i really like the Denise Austin aerobic dance videos) and I'm always afraid someone will catch me. For me, it isn't about not wanting them to see me work out because it would disgust them or turn them off, but it is about not wanting them to know that I am trying because if I fail, I know they'd say it is that I didn't try hard enough to succeed.
  • Pamela_in_Progress
    Pamela_in_Progress Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I run on the streets. in my mind, I'm like a gazelle. in reality, I'm that rhino at the back of the stampede on Jumangi. ;) but, at 5:30am, there aren't too many people out to judge me, and I just let my inner rhino-gazelle go. :)

I love this, it gave me a chuckle! When I start the C25K this spring I hope to channel my inner rhino-gazelle!