Cutting down on your friends list

Options
RhineDHP
RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
I'm curious, if you're in the habit of thinning your FL every now and then, do you have any particular quota that must be met for them to stay on? Like for instance, there's someone in my friends list who hasn't logged on in a couple months. But I remember there was a time when I went away for a couple months and came back. Do you ever get hate mail when you unfriend people? Have you ever felt like you were unjustly unfriended? Have you ever felt the need to keep certain friends in order to placate the masses? <--- well, not so much MFP but this has happened on FB. lol

I'm just rambling.

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Replies

• asprettyasme
    Options
    I don't delete people. I feel no need to delete anyone and I don't even know why people delete people. I think one person deleted me but idk and idc. The only thing I am real strict about is only adding females. On all my social networks I usually only add females and occasionally a male here or there. But I feel like I can be myself more and broadcast more comfortably when its just only females. But this isn't facebook or instagram so I am not as strict on this site as I am on all my other sites.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I like to keep my friend list small. I have a good group of friends on my list. In fact, I've had some new friends poach some of my closest friends. :laugh:
    I don't like voyeurs on my FL. There have been a few people who add me then never interact at all. Weeks go by without any interaction and I wonder why they even added me especially since my food diary is private. They get deleted. I have no problem deleting people like that. Who keeps friends in real life that never interact with them?

I am much, much more strict on Facebook than on MFP. I might accept a random request for friendship here, but not on FB.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    delete after 20 days of no show... but there are a few exceptions since I've known them from other sites.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Do you ever get hate mail when you unfriend people? Have you ever felt like you were unjustly unfriended? Have you ever felt the need to keep certain friends in order to placate the masses? <--- well, not so much MFP but this has happened on FB. lol

Nope, no hate mail. I did have one person who came back later and asked to be added because she was going to be active on MFP again. I happily added her back to my list.

I don't keep anyone to placate the masses. There are few close friends on MFP I wouldn't delete just because they're such true friends, but pretty much anyone else is fair game. :laugh:
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't understand why it would matter. I probably have friends who haven't logged in for a while. Since they don't post anything, doesn't bother me. I don't even know how to find out who's on there if they aren't posting.

Only reason I'd take someone off my friends list is if they were doing something that bothered me.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I sometimes delete people who have never even said a word to me since I added them. I feel bad for doing it, but I would rather focus on the people whom I talk to regularly. It is just easier to be supportive of everyone when the FL is smaller. I have never gotten hate mail for defriending someone. If I did, I would probably think they were crazy.
  • Ryguy08
    Ryguy08 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I like to keep my friend list small. I have a good group of friends on my list. In fact, I've had some new friends poach some of my closest friends. :laugh:
    I don't like voyeurs on my FL. There have been a few people who add me then never interact at all. Weeks go by without any interaction and I wonder why they even added me especially since my food diary is private. They get deleted. I have no problem deleting people like that. Who keeps friends in real life that never interact with them?

This is just completely out of curiosity, but why do you feel the need to keep your diary private? I have no problem if people want to see what I eat and sometimes it helps them if they're struggling to figure out healthy choices.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Ooh, how do you delete from feed? That'd be much nicer than deleting whiney people.

ETA: I delete if diary's private - what's the point if you can't pinch dinners?
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I have only deleted 1 since joining MFP and it was because he was chatting inappropriately ! I am not here to have phone sex, I am here working on my health ! LOL
  • TheresaTester
    TheresaTester Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I delete a friend who has not been active for more than 30 days. I'll happily add them back if they return to MFP and send another friend request. I keep my list small, because it's easier to interact with a few, rather than trying to manage a list that is so large I have a difficult time remembering details that are important.

I'm not on Facebook (just twitter), and try not to use MFP like a clone of Facebook. I like the fact that there are certain topic categories in the Community section that guide the discussions, otherwise conversations tend to stray way off of health, fitness, and proper eating.
  • PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I've deleted people for being too active on my news feed. Or too religious.
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    So weird this topic came up today. I just went into my friend list and deleted some people that hadn't logged in for a while. I figure if they haven't been in for 4-6 months, then they have dropped out. If they come back and friend me, then great I will add them back. This is the first time I have cleaned out my friend list. No particular reason I did it either, just that I was looking around.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't understand why it would matter. I probably have friends who haven't logged in for a while. Since they don't post anything, doesn't bother me. I don't even know how to find out who's on there if they aren't posting.

Only reason I'd take someone off my friends list is if they were doing something that bothered me.

I agree... seems no reason, I mean if they aren't posting they aren't bothering you or anyone else and they might come back. The only reason I would take someone off my friends list is if they are doing something that bothered me.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    I will go through every now and then and remove people who don't log in or deactivated. Other than that, I don't really delete,
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    DELETED
  • bunkahes
    bunkahes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    There are a few comments that i would lie to say:
    1. I only delete people that either disappears for a long time, or come on once every three months, those people are annoying to me.
    2. People that dont interact with me on a daily thing, or someone that isnot committed to loosing weight, and think this is just a big joke.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I delete people who haven't logged in for over a month. I do this because these same people tend to come back over and over and over again, log in for a couple days, and then disappear again. I want people who are consistent, who get to know me. I've found that the more consistent my friends are, the more consistent *I* am. If they show up every day, so do I. I want to be able to log my workouts and update my status and comment on theirs to show I'm trying just as hard as they are.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I delete if there's no interaction, you creep me out, or you haven't logged in in a long time.

Even a nice set of abs isn't enough to keep you off the chopping block.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'd like to say there's some rhyme or reason to my system but that'd be a lie. Like one of my friends recently said, I run my list like a medieval monarch. Sometimes there's no good reason behind my decision-making.

But in general, I keep people with whom I have or have had regular communication. Some people will go missing for months and I keep them because at one time we chatted every day and I hope they'll come back. My oldest MFP friends also get passes on long absences because I honestly can't remember a time when they weren't on my list. I usually delete if a person has been gone for more than a month though. Also if I add someone and a week or two goes by with no interaction I'll go ahead and delete. I delete for creeptastic messages or spamming my feed with Shakeology or similar.

I've never gotten any hate mail for deleting someone. So far.