Why do people cut cardio when lifting weights?

Options

Replies

• 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    cause I like lifting and I hate cardio...

Oh and I'm lazy
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Cause they're lazy

sure okay...

*rolls eyes*

Not sure you can call anyone who lifts heavy weights lazy....
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    I was JUST thinking about this because I had my RMR tested and the trainer suggested that I start lifting to gain more muscle and cut back on the cardio. He suggested this because I, personally, am burning more sugar than fat. He wants to flip that so I burn more fat than sugars and to do that I can do cardio, but it won't get me to where I need to be. I also need to be at below 164 bpm to burn fat...as my heart rate goes up, my ration of fat to sugars flips. I don't know if that means I HAVE to reduce cardio...but at this point I'm in good shape so unless I'm training for a marathon for endurance I can cut back and just FOCUS more on the weights. I don't think I really answered your question, but just wanted to let you know I'm also sort of wondering why. Maybe once I build up more muscle I can kick in the cardio again to help lose some of the extra lbs. I do want to change my body comp and know that weights/resistance is the only thing that will do that from having done it in the past.
    Basically be burn more body fat when oxygen is present, and cardio with a threshold of about 65 VO2 max will be considered aerobic using oxygen to facilitate ATP (energy) Weight training is in the absence of oxygen called anaerobic and uses mainly glycogen (glucose) but for some reason people believe that this somehow burns more overall body fat, which isn't true. Daily caloric deficit dictates fat loss, period.

Worrying about how much fat is used in a cardio session makes as much sense as worrying how much muscle is built in a weight resistance session.

I lift and I know that the resistence training is for body comp not burning fat...cardio is for heart and lung health...
    If you choose lifting over cardio it's because you want fat loss not muscle loss...while in that deficet.
    I know you do stef but this post wasn't directed to you specifically. I do both, but I do cardio in the name of sports and believe it's kept me younger. The weight training is basically a vanity thing for me as I get older and of course for muscle retention.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    In a deficit excessive cardio will impact the recovery from strength training. energy will go to the workout instead of repairing the muscles, when there isn't much to repair with to begin with in a deficit.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    A couple reasons for me. One is that the cardio isn't working. I workout like a madwoman and count calories and I'm GAINING. I'm hoping the weights might make that difference.

I'm concerned that the excess cardio is actually working against me (cortisol).

Time is an issue, too. I don't want to have to add extra time to my workouts because I added new exercise. Plus, I do circuits so my heart rate is up pretty good during the weight lifting and I'm getting some cardio out of it.

And finally, on the days I work my legs. cardio just isn't happening. My legs get too weak and I end up pretty exhausted. I intended to do about 15-20 minutes on my elliptical last night after lifting and I just could not physically do it.

That may change as I get more used to the weight lifting, but right now it isn't doable.

ETA: I am not cutting cardio out, just back.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I cut cardio because lifting is freaking exhausting, and I found I didn't need it to lose weight.

Same here. Lifting can certainly be a cardio experience! If you like cardio - do it!! If u are doing it to eat more - may want to rethink that. You cannot out train a poor diet. That mindset gets disordered. Nutrition must come first. Get your nutrition in order for fat loss and maintenance ( yes - have a plan for maintenance) and train for fitness and body composition.

It's not a DIET. It's Life. make small changes that lead to lifestyle changes - for life. Are you going to workout to " compensate " for the food you choose to eat for the rest of your life??
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I started lifting and only slightly cut out the cardio as I still want to lose weight. I now lift 4 days a week and do maybe 20-30 minutes cardio during those days and on the other 3 days, I run as im in training for a race this month. I dont know if Im doing it right but my mind is still telling me that I need to get my heart rate up to lose weight, as lifting doesnt burn as many calories
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    cause I like lifting and I hate cardio...

Oh and I'm lazy

^^This
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    And to Sarah up-thread -- Get a new trainer. Seriously. I would have laughed in that guy's face.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Running aggravated my dodgy knee, hence, affected my lifts ( I also don't like cardio much). So now I just lift.

I don't think it's hard to understand, some people are happy with a calorie deficit from diet - some prefer cardio. Do what you enjoy :)
  • dullestknife
    Options
    recovery and lifting heavy IS cardio work

i do heavy squats and deadlifts for reps, which are extremely taxing. i don't have to do do cardio or ab work thanks to that. i couldn't run a mile without stopping before i started lifting, but now I can run a 5k easily having done zero standalone cardio training.
  • puremagnolia
    puremagnolia Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just started doing JM 30 day shred about 7 days ago and finally dropped some weight after throwing in some extra cardio and a plyometric workout. I don't know that I can continue with the plyometrics - hard on my joints and I'm 53 and have always been bottom heavy with not very strong legs. On the shred, I started with 2lb weights and have now tried moving up to 4 but I struggle with shoulder/neck pain if I do too much overhead work. Can I still do weights and see good results? Does anyone have suggestions on how to get the same weight loss results without injuring myself on free weights? I am home bound and cannot go to a gym. :smile:
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    In a deficit excessive cardio will impact the recovery from strength training. energy will go to the workout instead of repairing the muscles, when there isn't much to repair with to begin with in a deficit.

Looking for the Like button ^^^^
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I cut cardio because lifting is freaking exhausting, and I found I didn't need it to lose weight.

^^^This.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I was JUST thinking about this because I had my RMR tested and the trainer suggested that I start lifting to gain more muscle and cut back on the cardio. He suggested this because I, personally, am burning more sugar than fat. He wants to flip that so I burn more fat than sugars and to do that I can do cardio, but it won't get me to where I need to be. I also need to be at below 164 bpm to burn fat...as my heart rate goes up, my ration of fat to sugars flips. I don't know if that means I HAVE to reduce cardio...but at this point I'm in good shape so unless I'm training for a marathon for endurance I can cut back and just FOCUS more on the weights. I don't think I really answered your question, but just wanted to let you know I'm also sort of wondering why. Maybe once I build up more muscle I can kick in the cardio again to help lose some of the extra lbs. I do want to change my body comp and know that weights/resistance is the only thing that will do that from having done it in the past.
    I hate to be the one to tell you this, but your trainer has no idea what they are talking about. Your body burns fat and glucose at the same time, all the time. Weight lifting actually burns glycogen, which is sugar. Very little fat is burned during strength training.

Basically, your trainer fed you a line of crap. The suggestion to strength train is a good one, everything else he told you is pretty much wrong.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,223 Member
    Options
    Ok I get not doing cardio just after, but if you only lift 3x a week, why not?

Primarily because the benefits of lifting heavy happen during the rest days. That is when the micro damage to the muscles is repaired and strength is increased. If one does lots of cardio, that recovery time that is needed it cut into thus cutting back on the benefits of lifting heavy. Light cardio like walking is fine, but not the sort of cardio most people do here.
  • dullestknife
    Options
    also, this is one of the best cardio workouts you'll ever get:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/par37.htm

that's a very complex lift, so start with just the bar and slowly add weight, focusing on proper form . watch a ton of videos of proper form, and shoot video to share online for a form check. don't let your ego get the best of you.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,223 Member
    Options
    I hate to be the one to tell you this, but your trainer has no idea what they are talking about. Your body burns fat and glucose at the same time, all the time. Weight lifting actually burns glycogen, which is sugar. Very little fat is burned during strength training.

Basically, your trainer fed you a line of crap. The suggestion to strength train is a good one, everything else he told you is pretty much wrong.

I was going to say much the same thing. Especially the whole thing in another post about heart rates and the fat burning zone. Zone training has value for fitness goals such as running a particular race, but in terms of fat loss it makes no difference. What is important is overall calories burned and even in the more intense ranges where more glycogen (sugar) is burned fat is still burned, and the total amount of fat burn then is more than in the "fat burning zone".