Why do people cut cardio when lifting weights?

Options

Replies

• fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I only have a limited amount of time and I prefer lifting. I do cardio as well, but usually with class or just home dancing. There are only so many hours in the day and if I did everything I would pass out.

FYI, I like circuit training moving from one exercise to the next quickly which does get your heart rate up as well. I also can't do HEAVY lifting due to injuries, but I do OK on the weights. I chest press 20lb dumbells and curl 15lbs. not too shabby, but I wish I could do 50 on chest press.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Cardio DOES affect my lifting performance.
    I do cardio..
    A) To improve cardiovascular healthy, for doing some of the activities I like better/for longer.
    B) Get the dog some exercise.
    C) Burn some calories so I can have cake. I like cake.

I've been doing a lot of running recently. I'm at a deficit anyway, but my leg-lifts have dropped more than arm based ones.

Even more so if I've done some decent running the day before.
    If I'm not putting a reasonable effort in, it is purely a case of buying cake-calories (and getting the dog exercise, though he has plenty anyway.) And even an hour of lighter running does still detract a bit from my lifting I would say.

I have ummed and ahhed about whether to focus on cardio or weights, but decided that as you can still make decent improvements with cardio while on a decent deficit, it makes more sense to focus on this and accept a bit more muscle loss, then when at goal weight, look to tone down the cardio a bit and go for improvements in muscle, which should come quicker then.
    . I also need to be at below 164 bpm to burn fat...as my heart rate goes up, my ration of fat to sugars flips
    Not really. Yes, your ratio of carbs burnt goes up, but the amount of fat burnt doesn't go down.
    If you're burning more carbs, then your body has less carbs at a later point, so may then resort to burning more stored fat.
    Here's the first result from google:
    http://www.active.com/triathlon/articles/the-myth-of-the-fat-burning-zone
    (Do ignore the 50 calories per pound of muscle bit at the end, it's more like 5-6.)

On the RMR tests - one of the best ways to get the test to show more fat burning is to eat less carbs and more fat. Voila, you're burning more fat! (I have an RMR tester and occasionally do run tests on people, though it's not a full time thing.)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,223 Member
    Options
    I was JUST thinking about this because I had my RMR tested and the trainer suggested that I start lifting to gain more muscle and cut back on the cardio. He suggested this because I, personally, am burning more sugar than fat. He wants to flip that so I burn more fat than sugars and to do that I can do cardio, but it won't get me to where I need to be. I also need to be at below 164 bpm to burn fat...as my heart rate goes up, my ration of fat to sugars flips. I don't know if that means I HAVE to reduce cardio...but at this point I'm in good shape so unless I'm training for a marathon for endurance I can cut back and just FOCUS more on the weights. I don't think I really answered your question, but just wanted to let you know I'm also sort of wondering why. Maybe once I build up more muscle I can kick in the cardio again to help lose some of the extra lbs. I do want to change my body comp and know that weights/resistance is the only thing that will do that from having done it in the past.
    I hate to be the one to tell you this, but your trainer has no idea what they are talking about. Your body burns fat and glucose at the same time, all the time. Weight lifting actually burns glycogen, which is sugar. Very little fat is burned during strength training.

Basically, your trainer fed you a line of crap. The suggestion to strength train is a good one, everything else he told you is pretty much wrong.

I dont even understand all this because my HR is NEVER below 160 when doing cardio or weights. My resting HR is between 80 -90 anyway. Not sure what this means for me?

It means nothing to you. Workout hard and burn a lot of calories.
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I used to run. I've never been more consistently, nor more seriously, injured, than when I was running. That's one reason I don't run.

And ya, I "only" lift 3x a week. But I lift about as heavy as I can those 3 days a week, and I'm still really quite zonked the rest of that day, and pretty much the next day as well. It's hard enough to recover with a day of rest between lifting days -- doing much on my off days just makes that way harder.

Also, long cardio is catabolic, and I'm looking for anabolic, so.....
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I started lifting and only slightly cut out the cardio as I still want to lose weight. I now lift 4 days a week and do maybe 20-30 minutes cardio during those days and on the other 3 days, I run as im in training for a race this month. I dont know if Im doing it right but my mind is still telling me that I need to get my heart rate up to lose weight, as lifting doesnt burn as many calories

Your heat rate doesn't go up with lifting? I suggest you need to change up your lifting style. My heart rate def goes up and recovers quickly when I lift heavy. Fitness. : )

Do what you enjoy because it's activity that you will stick with for life is what's important. I'm a strong advocate for strength training for many reasons. If you LOVE straight up cardio - do it! If you are doing it only to " lose weight" then I strongly suggest educating yourself more about strength training and Get After It!!

an article I always recommend to read is: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Good luck!
  • seamonster1203
    seamonster1203 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    It is based on the ever changing popular opinion.

Bulking/cutting used to be the correct method

Now its micro bulking/cutting at the same time.

Can you lose a ton of fat by never doing cardio? yes!
    Are there a lot of people with shredded abs who never do cardio? nope!
    do you see allot of folk who don't do cardio and have a ton of extra weight? absolutely.

Bottom line; there is no one-rule-fits-all. You've got to experiment for yourself and find what works for you.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Heres a good vid from Team 3DMJ........listen at about 5 minutes in when he talks about "interferance"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmEJGR1_sZc
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    bump to read later.
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    also, this is one of the best cardio workouts you'll ever get:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/par37.htm

that's a very complex lift, so start with just the bar and slowly add weight, focusing on proper form . watch a ton of videos of proper form, and shoot video to share online for a form check. don't let your ego get the best of you.

Since cardio tends to take a beating let me at least give it some props for being generally simple. The whole, "watch your form. do lots of research," aspect of lifting is the biggest turn of for someone with an average/slightly below average level of fitness. I'm just happy getting healthier and a little better looking. I don't need to feel like I'm training for the Olympics or like everyone at the gym is going to hold up a score card after my sets over. That's probably me showing how Type B I am but whatever.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Coincidently, I was just debating not running this morning. I do like to run but my body aches. Last week I bought a some weights and started lifting again (it's been about 8 months since I had access to a gym). Did a 10 miler on Sunday and lifted yesterday. I think today is just going to be a walking day so my muscles can rest since Weds. is a lifting day again.

If you find that lifting doesn't get your heart rate up then likely you aren't lifting enough. If it wasn't for the fact that I also like to run I wouldn't bother since I think lifting is plenty good of a workout.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing people post that they cut cardio when they started lifting weights... Why? If you're going to eat more to compensate for the cardio calories, why does it matter if you cut it? I'd like to understand.. I'm talking about people who are trying to lose weight too. I would think being able to eat more to make up for the cardio would be nice.

Because it can put you into a catabolic state.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Just depends on your goals....
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I started lifting and only slightly cut out the cardio as I still want to lose weight. I now lift 4 days a week and do maybe 20-30 minutes cardio during those days and on the other 3 days, I run as im in training for a race this month. I dont know if Im doing it right but my mind is still telling me that I need to get my heart rate up to lose weight, as lifting doesnt burn as many calories

Your heat rate doesn't go up with lifting? I suggest you need to change up your lifting style. My heart rate def goes up and recovers quickly when I lift heavy. Fitness. : )

Do what you enjoy because it's activity that you will stick with for life is what's important. I'm a strong advocate for strength training for many reasons. If you LOVE straight up cardio - do it! If you are doing it only to " lose weight" then I strongly suggest educating yourself more about strength training and Get After It!!

an article I always recommend to read is: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Good luck!

My heart rate does go up while lifting but Im doing NROLFW just now and the workouts are quite short (less than 20 minutes) so thats why I feel the need for some cardio on those days. I am enjoying lifting and I like what Im starting to see with my body - Im not losing weight as fast but my shape seems to be changing which I like. I love running though - never wanna stop that!!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    For me, it's time, recovery issues, and simply not enjoying most types of traditional "cardio."

Cardio is not a big "bang for your buck" mode of exercise. You have to do a ton of it to get a calorie burn that even makes it worth the time spent, and it does nothing for my lean body mass, so my general philosophy is to do cardio for enjoyment, not for weight loss.

Lifting heavy is very, very stressful on the body. As such, I have to spend a ton of time recovering from it, in the form of joint mobility work, foam rolling, sleeping, and just plain resting. Intense forms of cardio add more stress and take away from my ability to recover, so I limit my "cardio" to walking and hiking on non-lifting days.

Finally, I don't enjoy running or spending inordinate amounts of time on machines at the gym. It doesn't make sense to do those things just so I can eat more when it's going to take up a lot of my time and interfere with my recovery from lifting.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing people post that they cut cardio when they started lifting weights... Why? If you're going to eat more to compensate for the cardio calories, why does it matter if you cut it? I'd like to understand.. I'm talking about people who are trying to lose weight too. I would think being able to eat more to make up for the cardio would be nice.

Because it can put you into a catabolic state.
    Correction.

It will only put you in a catabolic state if you're not eating enough.
  • dullestknife
    Options

that's a very complex lift, so start with just the bar and slowly add weight, focusing on proper form . watch a ton of videos of proper form, and shoot video to share online for a form check. don't let your ego get the best of you.

Since cardio tends to take a beating let me at least give it some props for being generally simple. The whole, "watch your form. do lots of research," aspect of lifting is the biggest turn of for someone with an average/slightly below average level of fitness. I'm just happy getting healthier and a little better looking. I don't need to feel like I'm training for the Olympics or like everyone at the gym is going to hold up a score card after my sets over. That's probably me showing how Type B I am but whatever.

to each their own, i think even cardio is more complex than you may think. Frankly, most people use improper form when doing ANY exercise, be it cardio or lifting. Every time i go to the gym I see people running and landing on their toes or heels, or riding a stationary bike with the pedal too close to their toe or heel.

Hang cleans are a complex lift in that if involves multiple movements and there is a risk for injury. That is not to say complex means difficult, though.

You do make a good point in that I think lifting is intimidating for a lot of people because they're not sure how of proper form and recognize the potential for injury. I'm not sure I would have ever started lifting had a coworker not shown me the ropes at our work gym.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

to each their own, i think even cardio is more complex than you may think. Frankly, most people use improper form when doing ANY exercise, be it cardio or lifting. Every time i go to the gym I see people running and landing on their toes or heels, or riding a stationary bike with the pedal too close to their toe or heel.

Hang cleans are a complex lift in that if involves multiple movements and there is a risk for injury. That is not to say complex means difficult, though.

You do make a good point in that I think lifting is intimidating for a lot of people because they're not sure how of proper form and recognize the potential for injury. I'm not sure I would have ever started lifting had a coworker not shown me the ropes at our work gym.
    I honestly think not doing cardio might not be such a good thing for lifters.

My routine the last year especially has been pretty much all cardio. I rejoined the gym a few weeks ago and am working with a trainer on the weights and she's actually impressed with where I'm starting. I'm working my muscles to serious fatigue, yet within a day I'm able to do some decent cardio. I'm finding I can't do anything the day I work legs (especially after!) but the day after I work legs, I can run. And I run very steep hills, so it's quite the workout.

Cardio helps you learn to breathe and it builds endurance and I can't see how that isn't useful to a lifting routine.

I know I'm new at all this, but this has been my observation of my own body and abilities.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Because cardio is sweaty and nasty and exhausting and doesn't make you look better.