Why do people cut cardio when lifting weights?

Options

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    also, this is one of the best cardio workouts you'll ever get:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/par37.htm

that's a very complex lift, so start with just the bar and slowly add weight, focusing on proper form . watch a ton of videos of proper form, and shoot video to share online for a form check. don't let your ego get the best of you.

Since cardio tends to take a beating let me at least give it some props for being generally simple. The whole, "watch your form. do lots of research," aspect of lifting is the biggest turn of for someone with an average/slightly below average level of fitness. I'm just happy getting healthier and a little better looking. I don't need to feel like I'm training for the Olympics or like everyone at the gym is going to hold up a score card after my sets over. That's probably me showing how Type B I am but whatever.

to each their own, i think even cardio is more complex than you may think. Frankly, most people use improper form when doing ANY exercise, be it cardio or lifting. Every time i go to the gym I see people running and landing on their toes or heels, or riding a stationary bike with the pedal too close to their toe or heel.

Hang cleans are a complex lift in that if involves multiple movements and there is a risk for injury. That is not to say complex means difficult, though.

You do make a good point in that I think lifting is intimidating for a lot of people because they're not sure how of proper form and recognize the potential for injury. I'm not sure I would have ever started lifting had a coworker not shown me the ropes at our work gym.
    I honestly think not doing cardio might not be such a good thing for lifters.

My routine the last year especially has been pretty much all cardio. I rejoined the gym a few weeks ago and am working with a trainer on the weights and she's actually impressed with where I'm starting. I'm working my muscles to serious fatigue, yet within a day I'm able to do some decent cardio. I'm finding I can't do anything the day I work legs (especially after!) but the day after I work legs, I can run. And I run very steep hills, so it's quite the workout.

Cardio helps you learn to breathe and it builds endurance and I can't see how that isn't useful to a lifting routine.

I know I'm new at all this, but this has been my observation of my own body and abilities.

Depends on the lifting style.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    When I was at my peak powerlifting strength, I should have been doing cardio, specifically, HIIT type for short burst capacity. It would have helped my recovery between sets.

Ultimately, powerlifting training doesn't help your cardio much. Very low reps of very heavy weight with long rest periods between sets. Yes, your heart rate skyrockets along with your BP during and after a heavy set, but it's not cardio. Not when I could squat 650 and get out of breath carrying laundry up 3 floors.
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Ok I get not doing cardio just after, but if you only lift 3x a week, why not?

because I don't like cardio that's why not.

For those who like cardio and still cut it out partially it's because they are tired the day of lifting and the day after then they are lifting again...when you are lifting esp compound lifts you are drained...not just immediately after...but sometimes even the day after.

that's like asking I know you don't like broccoli but it's good for you why not eat it...

^THIS

I hate cardio. I used to do endless running and would run on the treadmill for at least 30mins at a time - I HATED it with a passion. I get all my cardio through fitness classes (kettlercise, spinning, body pump, TBC, etc) and weight lift 3 x a week. Much prefer it that way and my body is looking better than it ever has as my muscles are much more toned. Still got BF to lose but I do not intend on upping/starting the cardio.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I cut cardio because lifting is freaking exhausting, and I found I didn't need it to lose weight.
    AMEN sister..nicely worded!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    also, this is one of the best cardio workouts you'll ever get:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/par37.htm

that's a very complex lift, so start with just the bar and slowly add weight, focusing on proper form . watch a ton of videos of proper form, and shoot video to share online for a form check. don't let your ego get the best of you.

Since cardio tends to take a beating let me at least give it some props for being generally simple. The whole, "watch your form. do lots of research," aspect of lifting is the biggest turn of for someone with an average/slightly below average level of fitness. I'm just happy getting healthier and a little better looking. I don't need to feel like I'm training for the Olympics or like everyone at the gym is going to hold up a score card after my sets over. That's probably me showing how Type B I am but whatever.

Watch your form, and do research should be for someone with an average slightly below average level of fitness when it comes to cardio as well. Those can tend to be the ones who have the worst form when running, and due to that can promote injury.

This makes me think of the person who runs next to me every morning at the gym during the winter. Their running form is awful, and I can tell it takes a toll during their run. They have to stop every minute or so to "stretch" out their calves. A lot of that has to do with the way they are running.

Form and research is solid advice to anyone, no matter the exercise.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Because cardio is sweaty and nasty and exhausting and doesn't make you look better.

THIS.

And because I can.
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    The way I understand it....

Lifting burns fat and BUILDS lean muscle.

Cardio burns fat and BURNS lean muscle.

So....it ultimately depends on what you want to do.

I'm still new at it....but that is basically what I've picked up.

I want to be strong AND slim down.....make my body better overall....and I have found that lifting does a MUCH better job than cardio in that department.

The more muscle you have the higher your metabolism...burning fat all day. Cardio only burns while you are doing it (and at the expense of lean muscle which helps burn fat)

So I lift and do minimal cardio for endurance. I may run one or twice a week if the lifting hasn't worn me down. It is VERY important to let your body rest between lifting workouts.

Edited to add.....I have bad knees and have had trouble with them for a few years now. The docs have had a hard time figuring out what was wrong. All but one pretty much told me I was getting old and to get over it and live with it (ticked me off). The one...the last one.....told me that (what should have been obvious to me) I just needed to lose a little weight and strengthen the muscles supporting my knees.

Long story short.........cardio hurt my knees until I started lifting (squats and deadlifts). Lifting strengthened my legs and knees so now running doesn't hurt anymore.
  • MstngSammy
    Options
    For me, it's time, recovery issues, and simply not enjoying most types of traditional "cardio."

Cardio is not a big "bang for your buck" mode of exercise. You have to do a ton of it to get a calorie burn that even makes it worth the time spent, and it does nothing for my lean body mass, so my general philosophy is to do cardio for enjoyment, not for weight loss.

Lifting heavy is very, very stressful on the body. As such, I have to spend a ton of time recovering from it, in the form of joint mobility work, foam rolling, sleeping, and just plain resting. Intense forms of cardio add more stress and take away from my ability to recover, so I limit my "cardio" to walking and hiking on non-lifting days.

Finally, I don't enjoy running or spending inordinate amounts of time on machines at the gym. It doesn't make sense to do those things just so I can eat more when it's going to take up a lot of my time and interfere with my recovery from lifting.

^^^^^:happy:
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    You need extra calories to build muscle, so you don't want to be burning away those calories with cardio.
  • Thorbjornn
    Thorbjornn Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I don't like cardio, so when I started lifting weights I could eat more and still not do cardio.

The only cardio I like is the cardio I don't know I'm doing. I like walking, I like bike riding, and crazy as this sounds, I even like snow shoveling (but too much of a good thing is no good :tongue:). After 50-60 mins. of weight lifting, the last thing I want is 30-40 mins. on a treadmill.
  • deksgrl
    Options

You're not building muscle when eating a calorie deficit. With adequate protein and lifting, you can limit the amount of LBM that you lose while reducing weight.
  • MstngSammy
    Options
    recovery and lifting heavy IS cardio work

i do heavy squats and deadlifts for reps, which are extremely taxing. i don't have to do do cardio or ab work thanks to that. i couldn't run a mile without stopping before i started lifting, but now I can run a 5k easily having done zero standalone cardio training.

^^^
  • MstngSammy
    Options

You're not building muscle when eating a calorie deficit. With adequate protein and lifting, you can limit the amount of LBM that you lose while reducing weight.

^^^ Yes. Thank you.....I forgot that :) (I didn't actually mention a deficit though)
    But you do maintain much more with adequate protein and lifting than if you were doing cardio alone. (which if I'm not mistaken burns lean muscle whether in a deficit or not)
  • ajkolb
    ajkolb Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Some people quit cardio to try to put on a few pounds to compensate for their 'offseason building phase'. Even though a person is building 'lean' muscle, cardio is very good for the heart. A person is better off doing 3-4 HIIT sessions a week, then 5-6 days of week of steady state cardio.
  • deksgrl
    Options

^^^ Yes. Thank you.....I forgot that :) (I didn't actually mention a deficit though)
    But you do maintain much more with adequate protein and lifting than if you were doing cardio alone. (which if I'm not mistaken burns lean muscle whether in a deficit or not)

You have to eat at a deficit to burn fat.
  • fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Some people quit cardio to try to put on a few pounds to compensate for their 'offseason building phase'. Even though a person is building 'lean' muscle, cardio is very good for the heart. A person is better off doing 3-4 HIIT sessions a week, then 5-6 days of week of steady state cardio.

^^^^ this...cardio is great for the heart.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Cheers - interesting stuff, but didn't have the right words to search for (interference, in this case.)
  • MstngSammy
    Options

You have to eat at a deficit to burn fat.

Yes you do.

I have no idea what you are interpreting what I am saying as otherwise.

Oh NM....just reread the original......gotcha. Whoops! :happy:
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    If you hit the weights hard enough, you will know why this is it - also nutritionally, it depends on the person - if you enjoy eating a ton of food daily then adding the cardio at the end of lifting weights will accommodate this... all about those darn calories!