Binging vs overeating

Options
Where is the line between binging and overeating? For example, if I stand in front of the kitchen cupboard with a spoon and an open jar of peanut butter, shovelling that in my mouth, just saying one more spoonful before being able to put it back, I'm guessing that's a binge-type behaviour. Going past the fridge and not being able to resist 'one more' chocolate peanut butter slice, which turns into 4 or 6, binging.

But if I'm making cookies (like last night) and I've made my trayful of 16, and there's some dough left, not really enough to cook another trayful, and I make the conscious decision to eat the dough, I feel terrible and stuffed, but is this just overeating, or is this binging?

And does it really matter what it's called?

Replies

• funkygas
    funkygas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any opinions?
  • winbig1982
    winbig1982 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Imo overeating is forcing the last of your dinner down even though your full. Bingeing is eating lots of crap like you havent eaten in days, shovelling it it and it barely touching the sides....... What ur doing is picking....... Wasting calories but this is just my opinion :) xxx
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Imo overeating is forcing the last of your dinner down even though your full. Bingeing is eating lots of crap like you havent eaten in days, shovelling it it and it barely touching the sides....... What ur doing is picking....... Wasting calories but this is just my opinion :) xxx

This is not "picking"

It's binging...I mean really...why not bake the dough into cookies who cares if it's not a tray full...bleck

But does it matter what it's called...really???
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Over-eating is having that piece of pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving despite being full.

Binging is feeling bad about yourself or you're having some emotional problems and before you know it you're creeping into the kitchen to eat the WHOLE pie but of course the pie doesn't actually help with the emotional issue you're feeling but now new feelings emerge; guilt, shame, etc.

I do think it matters what it is called. I really get annoyed when people saying "they're going to binge out on pizza because it's their birthday" or they "binged on 1 Oreo" and now they're 70 calories over goal.
  • nenshali
    nenshali Posts: 331 Member
    Options

It's binging...I mean really...why not bake the dough into cookies who cares if it's not a tray full...bleck

Actually, this is NOT bingeing. What you describe is over- eating. Bingeing is connected to losing the control, you cannot stop. Overeating can cause you to feel guilty, later, too, but it is simply because "it just looks so good" or "I haven't had it in weeks and I really want it right now."

And yes, because of this, is DOES matter how you call it.
    Because overeating here and then is absolutely fine, while bingeing means you should analyse your situation, your feelings etc. and eventually work on better coping skills.

Bingeing is connected to your brain as a way to cope with feelings, mostly. And it doesn't really matter whether it actually helps or not (as Katz already said), because for a short time, you HAVE a way to cope with it (even though it is NEVER a long- term- solution)
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I think the difference is very subtle. Binging is some "extreme" kind of overeating, and it's usually accompanied by lack of control over what or how much you're eating, especially if you're not referring to a relatively healthy and common splurge that happens once in a while.
    You can overeat because you've been very hungry, while you mostly binge without actually following your hunger level. You might start binging because you feel hungry, but it's some kind of a disproportionate overeating that's usually not hunger-driven, but emotive-driven.
    The more your mind affects your behaviours while eating, the hardest it comes to separate overeating from a binge.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    My opinion - overeating is taking that bag of chocolate raisins in the work snack box when you know you still have to get your protein up for the day and chocolate raisins are not going to get you there but you eat them anyway.

Bingeing is where you take the same bag of raisins because you know they are there and they have been nagging you to eat them all day and you take them into somewhere secret to eat them because you are embarrassed to eat them at your desk in front of colleagues.

Both can leave you feeling guilty. Bingeing possibly needs more professional help, whereas overeating possibly needs a re-think on goals and motivation.

- and yes - I speak of myself!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Does it really matter what you call it? If you eat over your maintenance calories - you gain weight. The result is the same.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,011 Member
    Options
    Where is the line between binging and overeating? For example, if I stand in front of the kitchen cupboard with a spoon and an open jar of peanut butter, shovelling that in my mouth, just saying one more spoonful before being able to put it back, I'm guessing that's a binge-type behaviour. Going past the fridge and not being able to resist 'one more' chocolate peanut butter slice, which turns into 4 or 6, binging.

But if I'm making cookies (like last night) and I've made my trayful of 16, and there's some dough left, not really enough to cook another trayful, and I make the conscious decision to eat the dough, I feel terrible and stuffed, but is this just overeating, or is this binging?

And does it really matter what it's called?
    What constitutes less than a full tray..........a dozen, 14, 6 ? If you feeling stuffed and terrible, then more than likely it really doesn't matter what you call that behaviour.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

Actually, this is NOT bingeing. What you describe is over- eating. Bingeing is connected to losing the control, you cannot stop. Overeating can cause you to feel guilty, later, too, but it is simply because "it just looks so good" or "I haven't had it in weeks and I really want it right now."

Because overeating here and then is absolutely fine, while bingeing means you should analyse your situation, your feelings etc. and eventually work on better coping skills.

Bingeing is connected to your brain as a way to cope with feelings, mostly. And it doesn't really matter whether it actually helps or not (as Katz already said), because for a short time, you HAVE a way to cope with it (even though it is NEVER a long- term- solution)

+10, this is so on-the-money.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Does it really matter what you call it? If you eat over your maintenance calories - you gain weight. The result is the same.

I don't think that's the point. The point is that you can gain weight by overeating a bit on a constant basis, and be relatively happy about it because it's part of your life and you can always find a healthy way to get rid of that weight later. No one stays the same weight forever. If you eat out with friends and end up eating a whole pizza you'll probably gain weight, but you'll lose it in no time and you'll still be calm about it because it's completely normal, even if you've actually exceeded your intake.
    If you happen to do these things alone because you feel bad, and keep feeling bad afterwards because of a weight gain, it's a completely different thing to me.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Oh so eating when you are full isn't losing control???? Eating 3 plates full of pasta when you are full on one...okay sure.

Over eating is never fine...it means you have lost control same with binging and usually is a way of coping with feelings as well.

But as I said it doesn't matter what you want to call it...you eat at a surplus knowing you are doing it there is something wrong.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,011 Member
    Options

Oh so eating when you are full isn't losing control???? Eating 3 plates full of pasta when you are full on one...okay sure.

Over eating is never fine...it means you have lost control same with binging and usually is a way of coping with feelings as well.

But as I said it doesn't matter what you want to call it...you eat at a surplus knowing you are doing it there is something wrong.
    Over eating when someone is full is the new norm....didn't you get the memo.
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options

I am going to take a wild guess you've never dealt with binging.

I agree that binging is usually connected to emotions and is a total loss of control. Having some leftover cookie dough is not binging. It's...having some leftover cookie dough. Deciding to have some more pasta putting you over on calories...that is overeating and is a conscious decision to serve yourself more.

Standing at the counter mindlessly shoveling in food straight from the package without keeping track, *usually* but not always in an emotional state of mind (sometimes for me it's intense hunger instead of an emotion)...that's an example of binging. When I binge, I feel like I'm literally standing outside of my body watching some other person stuff her face with food. I feel powerless, depressed, and hopeless. I do not feel this way when I eat a second serving of dinner that puts me over in calories. (aka overeating).
  • funkygas
    funkygas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for all your comments.

For me, eating the extra cookie dough last night (1 spoonful for the tray, 1 spoonful for me, then there was probably another 6 cookies left in the bowl that didn't end up getting baked), I think was overeating. It was a conscious decision, that I knew I would feel full and get a sugar-high, but I did go for a longer-than-usual run this morning (and my body did reject a lot of that this morning - TMI!).

Binging - is me standing in front of the kitchen cupboard, with an open jar of peanut butter and a spoon, having just one more spoonful. Even putting the lid back on it, closing the door and then going back within 20 seconds to have 'just one more spoonful'. And then I think I should have something healthy, so I'll have a bag-ful of nuts and dried fruit (I bag them in 50g portions - 200cal). And then I may have some prunes, so I'll have 3-4 of them from the fridge. And then I'll think of what else I can have - mixing together maybe some powdered sugar with peanut butter. If I've made some cookies or slice, it would be going there and telling myself I don't need it, I don't want it, but I'll eat 3-4 anyway. And then another 3-4. I think it's all about losing control. Going back for just that one more (or 3-4 more), and not having the strength to stop the cycle.

Fortunately, what I've described above as binging hasn't happened for a number of months now, but the overeating seems to happen every now and then, maybe 1-2 times a week, mainly when I'm baking.
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for all your comments.

For me, eating the extra cookie dough last night (1 spoonful for the tray, 1 spoonful for me, then there was probably another 6 cookies left in the bowl that didn't end up getting baked), I think was overeating. It was a conscious decision, that I knew I would feel full and get a sugar-high, but I did go for a longer-than-usual run this morning (and my body did reject a lot of that this morning - TMI!).

Binging - is me standing in front of the kitchen cupboard, with an open jar of peanut butter and a spoon, having just one more spoonful. Even putting the lid back on it, closing the door and then going back within 20 seconds to have 'just one more spoonful'. And then I think I should have something healthy, so I'll have a bag-ful of nuts and dried fruit (I bag them in 50g portions - 200cal). And then I may have some prunes, so I'll have 3-4 of them from the fridge. And then I'll think of what else I can have - mixing together maybe some powdered sugar with peanut butter. If I've made some cookies or slice, it would be going there and telling myself I don't need it, I don't want it, but I'll eat 3-4 anyway. And then another 3-4. I think it's all about losing control. Going back for just that one more (or 3-4 more), and not having the strength to stop the cycle.

Fortunately, what I've described above as binging hasn't happened for a number of months now, but the overeating seems to happen every now and then, maybe 1-2 times a week, mainly when I'm baking.

Yes I think you're seeing the difference. What you described as binging is unfortunately my life right now, only with lots of intense emotions attached. Overeating/indulging a bit on occasion should not do too much harm in the long run. :) Binging can be much more harmful depending on frequency, both with weight gain and emotionally.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

I don't think that's the point. The point is that you can gain weight by overeating a bit on a constant basis, and be relatively happy about it because it's part of your life and you can always find a healthy way to get rid of that weight later. No one stays the same weight forever. If you eat out with friends and end up eating a whole pizza you'll probably gain weight, but you'll lose it in no time and you'll still be calm about it because it's completely normal, even if you've actually exceeded your intake.
    If you happen to do these things alone because you feel bad, and keep feeling bad afterwards because of a weight gain, it's a completely different thing to me.

My point is about a loss of control. Maybe the intensity is different - but binging and overeating are a loss of control. If I ate a whole pizza out with friends - I would not be calm about it. It's much more pizza than I needed. If I am depressed and eat a whole tub of ice cream - I would not be calm about that either. It's about the loss of control - regardless of the circumstances.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I am going to take a wild guess you've never dealt with binging.

I agree that binging is usually connected to emotions and is a total loss of control. Having some leftover cookie dough is not binging. It's...having some leftover cookie dough. Deciding to have some more pasta putting you over on calories...that is overeating and is a conscious decision to serve yourself more.

Standing at the counter mindlessly shoveling in food straight from the package without keeping track, *usually* but not always in an emotional state of mind (sometimes for me it's intense hunger instead of an emotion)...that's an example of binging. When I binge, I feel like I'm literally standing outside of my body watching some other person stuff her face with food. I feel powerless, depressed, and hopeless. I do not feel this way when I eat a second serving of dinner that puts me over in calories. (aka overeating).

Yah don't assume...

I just don't see a huge difference between the two...I don't believe that binging is "an out of control" thing imho it's a decision you make to stand there and eat mindlessly regardless of the taste, hunger etc. esp if it's the way you describe it...which I have never experienced...for me it was more of a "I can't believe it's gone I didn't even taste it...where did it all go" Just like over eating is a choice to eat it because you are bored, it tastes good or because it's there...
  • bachampion04
    bachampion04 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Both scenarios was binging actually lol but overeating came come into the equation if you feel stuffed and you know you are stuffed but you are forcing that little bit left because "Momma always taught you to clean your plate" mentatlity.

This is my biggest battle to date, portion control helps with this
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    For me, the difference is several hundred calories and a horrible stomach ache. I quit binge-eating the same way I quit binge-drinking, just got sick of feeling sick and set my mind to change it.

Overeating is what I did last night. I had an extra pumpkin bar (300 cal) after dinner, plus a candy bar (240 cal) after lunch.