Binging vs overeating

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I just find it odd that consistent overeating is called binging by the mental health community.

It's because binge-eating is actually a disorder. It *IS* a mental health issue. My problems stemmed from untreated depression. I self-medicated with alcohol and chocolate, etc. The alcohol intensified the depression and caused a spiral effect. It only ended when I finally quit denying my problems and sought counseling.

Mental health professions understand the difference because it's their job.

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/binge-eating-disorder

This, 100%. Binge eating is a mental problem and it's rarely even about food. Over-eating can be very casual and just "whoops I ate too much at dinner".

I have been diagnosed EDNOS for 15 years here. This broad in this thread arguing with everyone is extremely insulting to people like myself who have suffered with shame, guilt, not being able to go outside.... but whatever she's an expert on the subject, this is MFP.

MFP: Where your opinions make you a genius because you've lost 14 lbs.

Not sure who this is addressed to...since no one here has lost only 14lbs unless I am not seeing someone....

As well "this broad" in referring to another woman is not called for either and is probably found to be quite insulting...
    Binging is a symptom of a mental disorder yes it is...typically depression or bipolar disorder or any number of compulsion disorders.
    Binging is unhealthy that is for sure and it's not about calories consumed it's about the mindless eating and the feelings that follow it, you can binge on food that isn't high in calories too...or alcohol...or anything for that matter.

Overeating on a consistent basis is called binging

I am in no way saying binging is normal...it's not.

I am saying overeating in itself is unhealthy...because it means you haven't changed your habits that lead to you being over weight, and that as soon as you realize eating to the point of being uncomfortable is not a good thing you have a larger chance of relapsing into your old eating habits and gaining back the weight...
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    As a recovering bulimic, this topic hits very close to home for me.

Over-Eating: Having some extra pizza or an extra dessert when you are not hungry. Occasional over-eating is a NORMAL, typically social behavior. As other have mentioned, it is something that can be "made up for" fairly easily & while it may leave you with some guilt, it was not born from extreme negative emotion. It can become a habit, however - chronic overheating lands you in category 2 (below).

Lack of Impulse Control / Discipline: Going back to the pantry over & over, mindlessly munching, eating when you aren't hungry because something is "SO good" or "calling to you", etc. In some cases it can also be a sign that you are missing something your body needs (too few calories, not enough protein, needing a certain nutrient). Again, this is NORMAL for the average person on occasion.

Bingeing: A compulsive, psychologically driven behavior indicative of a total loss of emotional control that happens to involve food. Chronic bingeing is much more closely related to alcoholism or drug abuse than it is to over-eating. This is NOT NORMAL. Occasionally a one-time binge can fall into the "normal" category if associated directly w/ acute depression (such as the post-breakup bucket of iced cream)... Although usually these situations are actually just a more extreme example of a lack of impulse control (above).

The distinction is incredibly important, most notably because binge-eating is indicative of a psychological disorder for which one needs to seek professional guidance. Referring to normal, if not necessarily ideal, behavior as "bingeing" is downright insulting to those who have truly struggled with these behaviors.

Thank you for the explanation! This is very helpful. I don't think I've ever binged before, so it's nice to see the comparison. I have, however, definitely suffered from a lack of impulse control/discipline. Congrats on your progress!

You're welcome :-) It is incredibly hard for me to be on this path, because my past issues have made me TERRIFIED of dieting. I have "relapsed" in the past & do not want that again - I want to lose weight, but I want to do it in a healthy & sustainable way. I get so concerned when I see people here severely restricting their intake or guilting themselves over minor missteps because those feelings are all too familiar to me. Being able to track my intake w/o obsessing over it has been a struggle, but I am doing well thus far & am really proud of my progress!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    As a recovering bulimic, this topic hits very close to home for me.

Over-Eating: Having some extra pizza or an extra dessert when you are not hungry. Occasional over-eating is a NORMAL, typically social behavior. As other have mentioned, it is something that can be "made up for" fairly easily & while it may leave you with some guilt, it was not born from extreme negative emotion. It can become a habit, however - chronic overheating lands you in category 2 (below).

Lack of Impulse Control / Discipline: Going back to the pantry over & over, mindlessly munching, eating when you aren't hungry because something is "SO good" or "calling to you", etc. In some cases it can also be a sign that you are missing something your body needs (too few calories, not enough protein, needing a certain nutrient). Again, this is NORMAL for the average person on occasion.

Bingeing: A compulsive, psychologically driven behavior indicative of a total loss of emotional control that happens to involve food. Chronic bingeing is much more closely related to alcoholism or drug abuse than it is to over-eating. This is NOT NORMAL. Occasionally a one-time binge can fall into the "normal" category if associated directly w/ acute depression (such as the post-breakup bucket of iced cream)... Although usually these situations are actually just a more extreme example of a lack of impulse control (above).

The distinction is incredibly important, most notably because binge-eating is indicative of a psychological disorder for which one needs to seek professional guidance. Referring to normal, if not necessarily ideal, behavior as "bingeing" is downright insulting to those who have truly struggled with these behaviors.

This is a perfect distinction between the two :D Overeating =/= bingeing

Yes, ShelliFranks threw it down, nice and neat. :flowerforyou:
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    My point is about a loss of control. Maybe the intensity is different - but binging and overeating are a loss of control. If I ate a whole pizza out with friends - I would not be calm about it. It's much more pizza than I needed. If I am depressed and eat a whole tub of ice cream - I would not be calm about that either. It's about the loss of control - regardless of the circumstances.

But I don't see why you should feel bad about eating a pizza with your friends if that's what you want. Eating a pizza once in a while won't make you fat. Exceeding your caloric intake once in a while won't make you fat.
    You don't have to eat at manteinance forever, this is unrealistic. It's more like a tendency than a static goal. You can't really be expecting to eat your exact TDEE every single day of your life. Also, overeating doesn't mean you're lacking of self control - if I feel very hungry and eat 100 kcals more than my goal and this is enough to quench my hunger, it's alright. It's planned, and it doesn't involve any bad feeling.

I understand your reasoning, but I stand by both being a loss of control. I consider both a choice that I make. I've learned to make a choice about binging. Am I still tempted to eat a bag of chips mindlessly? Yes. But I have put a stop gap in place, in the last 20 months that makes me stop and question what I am doing and why I am doing it. Therefore, to me? Eating mindlessly at home for emotional reasons is the same as eating pizza mindlessly out with friends. They both speak to MY lack of control.

Maybe the difference is I'm at a point in my life that I have had to change things dramatically. I want to be healthy and overeating is not in the cards for me anymore. For any reason.

Hmm...I don't really understand how choosing to go out and eat pizza with friends is a loss of control. It is a conscious decision. I definitely wouldn't call it a binge.

I never said it was a loss of control to eat pizza with my friends. What the other poster said was eating a whole pizza. If I had a conscious thought about eating a whole pizza by myself - I would have to question why I would do that. I would be falling back on the amount of food I ate when I used to binge.

The post talks about eating a whole pizza with friends, not eating a whole pizza by yourself. But i'm not here to nitpick. :smile:

Sorry, I always forget that pizzas are bigger there in USA. Here in Italy I can have a whole pizza by myself, and it's probably not as big as it would be there in USA, but it's still not a regular meal. It's a big meal, and if I keep eating normally during the rest of the day I can easily exceed my daily intake just because of that pizza, but it's not a binge.
    I work hard during the week to have a pizza once in a month or so, I could probably even have it once a week with no consequences, but since I've been working hard for it even if I'm overeating it's not a binge.
    If you actually consider sharing a big american pizza with friends it's just the same concept.

Anyway, overeating doesn't make you overweight unless you do this on a daily basis.
    I got fat because I was eating things that were too high in calories, and eating way too many of them every_single_day.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I am saying overeating in itself is unhealthy...because it means you haven't changed your habits that lead to you being over weight, and that as soon as you realize eating to the point of being uncomfortable is not a good thing you have a larger chance of relapsing into your old eating habits and gaining back the weight...

You are missing the key difference that I stated earlier: self-control. Deliberately over-eating and planning a lighter day or extra cardio is not the same as being out of control and stuffing your face until you vomit. It is perfectly normal to eat above TDEE once in a while as part of a social event, special occasion, or holiday. It is because I am in control that I know my habits have changed, not to mention that the scale tells me I'm still maintaining, after 18 months. Being in control of myself is the reason I can maintain my losses.
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    Options

Taking any normal behavior to an extreme is unhealthy. Chronic over-eating or chronically lacking impulse control are certainly unhealthy, though occasionally partaking in these things is perfectly normal & can be part of a healthy diet overall. Running is healthy, but running until you pass out is not. Chronically running until you pass out as an outlet for emotional problems is indicative of a mental health issue. Eating is healthy. Overeating or losing impulse control is not healthy, but can be overcome. Chronic overeating as an outlet for emotional problems is indicative of a mental health issue. No one here is saying that chronic over-eating is a healthy behavior, we are merely making distinctions between overeating, indulging, & bingeing.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I just find it odd that consistent overeating is called binging by the mental health community.

It's because binge-eating is actually a disorder. It *IS* a mental health issue. My problems stemmed from untreated depression. I self-medicated with alcohol and chocolate, etc. The alcohol intensified the depression and caused a spiral effect. It only ended when I finally quit denying my problems and sought counseling.

This, 100%. Binge eating is a mental problem and it's rarely even about food. Over-eating can be very casual and just "whoops I ate too much at dinner".

I have been diagnosed EDNOS for 15 years here. This broad in this thread arguing with everyone is extremely insulting to people like myself who have suffered with shame, guilt, not being able to go outside.... but whatever she's an expert on the subject, this is MFP.

Not sure who this is addressed to...since no one here has lost only 14lbs unless I am not seeing someone....

As well "this broad" in referring to another woman is not called for either and is probably found to be quite insulting...
    Binging is a symptom of a mental disorder yes it is...typically depression or bipolar disorder or any number of compulsion disorders.
    Binging is unhealthy that is for sure and it's not about calories consumed it's about the mindless eating and the feelings that follow it, you can binge on food that isn't high in calories too...or alcohol...or anything for that matter.

A broad is another word for a woman.

Overeating on a consistent basis is NOT binge eating.

http://www.something-fishy.org/

Learn something about what you're spouting off. You are arrogant and uninformed yet full of opinions that have no basis in reality. Binge eating to someone like me, as it is defined by mental health professionals can be likened to a drug addict using heroin. I have cancelled plans to binge eat. I have never cancelled plans to accidentally eat too much at dinner.
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Binging is what got me the extra 60lbs in a rather short amount of time.

I both overeat and binge. When I look at my own behavior I classify the overeating as any excess eating that it is about the food. I'm hungry, it's good, I want more of it even after I'm full. It doesn't overall affect my weight to dramatically (although it probably would at my age now). Overeating for me happens at a regular meal or snack. Not just random eating.

Binging isn't even about the food . I don't even know what I want I just eat. I over eat at meals and non-stop snack and probably have another meal after bedtime and overeat on that too. When I travel I'll stop and get food. Just random eating - always looking for something (and not the good things either, ha). It is hard for me to snap out of that once I'm in it because it is not really about food or hunger. I'm trying to fill something else up and so part of my changes have to be about sitting with that and figuring it out.

Being aware of the difference (and it might not be medical difference but just in my own case) has been a big part of making lasting changes.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

You are missing the key difference that I stated earlier: self-control. Deliberately over-eating and planning a lighter day or extra cardio is not the same as being out of control and stuffing your face until you vomit. It is perfectly normal to eat above TDEE once in a while as part of a social event, special occasion, or holiday. It is because I am in control that I know my habits have changed, not to mention that the scale tells me I'm still maintaining, after 18 months. Being in control of myself is the reason I can maintain my losses.

No I am not missing your distinction. I am not saying binging and overeating are the same thing that's what you are missing.

Binging is consistent over eating
    over eating is not binging

You are missing my point....eating to the point of feeling uncomfortable is not healthy...I don't care if you make it up with cardio or a bike ride or eating lighter another day...if you eat so much food that you are uncomfortable how is that healthy???

Why eat that much food?

because it tastes good? Then eat slower and enjoy smaller portions...

And I don't consider eating over TDEE occassional over eating esp if you aren't suffering afterwards...it's the feeling afterwards that defines it for me...ie feeling stuffed, uncomfortable etc..
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Heaving drinking is to over-eating as alcoholism is to binge-eating disorder.

Alcoholism involves heavy drinking; however, not all heavy drinkers are alcoholics.

Binging involves over-eating; however,not all over-eaters suffer from an eating/binging disorder.

/end thread
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    n/m

some people don't get it. No sense to beat the dead horse anymore.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Learn something about what you're spouting off. You are arrogant and uninformed yet full of opinions that have no basis in reality. Binge eating to someone like me, as it is defined by mental health professionals can be likened to a drug addict using heroin. I have cancelled plans to binge eat. I have never cancelled plans to accidentally eat too much at dinner.

"Broad" is not just another name for "woman" in the US. It's derogatory.

You should probably step away from the computer for a bit.
  • GOAL_2016
    Options
    Personally, when I binge, it's almost a loss of control. I might *know* I'm doing it, but it's an emotion driven behaviour and I won't stop until that emotion passes. Over eating, on the other hand, is more of a conscious decision to eat something. Like, eating an extra cookie or a second helping of dinner.

I can usually claw back and balance out an over eating blip, but no way with a binge.
  • levitateme
    Options
    n/m

Agreed, I'm done here. For some people OPINIONS = FACTS

You can't fix that kind of stupid.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    n/m

I started to quote your original comment before you edited. You hit the nail on the head with it. But you're right, if people can't understand the difference between an eating disorder and normal behavior and refuse to look at the facts, there's no point in trying anymore.
  • levitateme
    Options

Edit: You know what, never mind.

It's okay for people to insult those with eating disorders, but it's not okay to use a word that isn't "nice". I get it, totally.
  • meljane28
    meljane28 Posts: 17
    Options
    Good response!
  • Dalmonte123
    Options
    It seems you are over thinking these two useless concepts. Both are bad for any weight loss goal. If you consume a high protein high fat (good fats) low carb diet your craving will disappear. Several spoonful of peanut butter will not hurt you if your body is not full of glycogen. Fat will help you burn fat. Try it.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

I am well aware of what "broad" is and some find that term insulting...and could very well report your post as name calling in the forums is against ToS.

As well according the the Mayo Clinic along with other respected mental health facilities actually define binge eating as consistent and compulsive over eating...and if that isn't a good definition what is a good definition????

And just because I haven't been diagnosed wiht BED doesn't mean I don't know what I am talking about, no I can't put personal feelings and experiences into it. As for opinions I could say the same for yours but that doesn't make it true...

I find those who have experienced it often get very adament and even sometimes angry and often miss what is actually being said because they are so used to hearing negative things such as "it's all in your head, just choose not to do it..." blah blah blah..that's not what I am saying..

I am saying binging is not good and it is unhealthy and those who do it often need professional help to deal with the whys of the binge eating...

I am also saying over eating to the point of being uncomfortable and suffering (even tho you aren't binging) is not healthy either.

ETA; but I am not saying the two are the same thing....one requires mental health intervention...the other requires the word no to oneself...two very different things, but both are unhealthy.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

As a broad that's about to hit 40. that's news to me. Is chick derogatory too? I was just telling a friend that I since I'm turning 40, I'm moving from "chick" category into "old broad" category. :laugh:

I've always considered it slang or informal, but derogatory? :noway: